Antivirus programs are software designed to detect, prevent and remove malicious files or malware from your computer. But there are times when we may want to disable or turn off antivirus, for example, while playing games, or downloading files from third-party channels. If you are not sure how to disable antivirus on your computer, we bring you a helpful guide that will explain how to turn off these programs on Windows 11 PCs.
Table of Contents
How to Turn Off Antivirus Program on Windows 11
Many users install antivirus programs on their computers to keep themselves safe from corrupt files and data. Antivirus can not only help you prevent threats it can also fix and repair damaged files. Several software companies develop antiviruses for Windows OS. In this guide, we have provided a detailed explanation of disabling the program for Avast, McAfee, BitDefender, and Norton Security antivirus programs.
Different antivirus programs may have different options to disable system security. However, most programs can be accessed from the Notification Panel on Taskbar. For example, McAfee LifeSafe:
1. Right-click on the McAfee icon on the notification panel.
2. Go to Change setting and then Firewall to turn the program off.
How to Turn Off Avast Antivirus
Avast is one of the largest web security providers, its antivirus programs are highly acclaimed and popular among Windows users. To turn off Avast Antivirus, the following steps need to be followed:
1. Open the System Tray in the lower right corner of your desktop. You will find the Avast Antivirus Icon on the system tray.
2. Right Click on the Avast Antivirus Icon and select the Avast Shield Control option.
3. Here, you can select one of the following options:
- Disable for 10 Minutes
- Disable for 1 Hour
- Disable Until Computer is restarted
- Disable Permanently.
3. Lastly, confirm by clicking OK on the Avast Antivirus confirmation box that appears next.
How to Turn Off McAfee LiveSafe Antivirus
McAfee is also one of the best antivirus programs for Windows computers. To turn off this program, you can follow the following steps:
1. Open the System Tray in the lower right corner of your desktop. You will find the McAfee LiveSafe Icon on the system tray.
2. Right Click on the McAfee LiveSafe Icon and select the Change Settings option, and then select Firewall.
4. Finally, Select Off to disable Firewall.
To explore more ways to disable McAfee LifeSave on Windows, read our guide on How to Turn Off McAfee Antivirus on Windows.
How to Turn Off BitDefender Antivirus
BitDefender is yet another popular r antivirus software for Windows 11 computers. If you happen to have this program, try these simple methods to turn it off.
1. Search for the BitDefender program in the Start Menu and Open it.
2. Now, in the dashboard click on Protection and then go to Advanced option.
3. Here, turn the toggle off for BitDefender Shield.
4. From the drop-down menu select the desired duration for which you want to turn off the antivirus program on your computer, and Finally, select OK.
5. Now, again go to Protection and then select Advanced Threat Defense.
6. Here, in the Settings tab, turn the toggle off for Advance Threat Defense and Exploit Detection.
How to Turn Off Norton Security Antivirus
If you happen to be using Norton Security Antivirus, can’t figure out how to disable it: just follow the steps mentioned below:
1. On your Windows Taskbar, go to the notification area and locate the Norton product icon.
2. Right-click on the icon and then select Disable Auto-Protect and Disable Smart Firewall options.
3. Now, in the Security Request window, select the duration for which you want the antivirus to be disabled, and select OK.
We hope this article helped you learn how to turn off antivirus on Windows 11 computers. Keep reading our blog for such helpful guides! Feel free to leave your suggestions & queries in the comment section below.