Since its launch in 2015, the Discord application has been used regularly by gamers for communication purposes, while playing games online. You can use Discord on any gadget you own— Discord desktop apps for Windows, Mac, iOS , and Android. It also works on web browsers, if that’s what you prefer. Additionally, Discord apps can be connected to various mainstream services, including Twitch and Spotify, so that your friends can see what you are up to.
Group DM allows you to communicate with ten people at a time. You can send emojis, photos, share your screen and start voice/video chats within the group. Through this guide, you will learn about the process of how to set up Group DM in Discord.
Note: The Discord group chat limit is 10. i.e only 10 friends can be added to Group DM.
How to Set Up a Group DM in Discord
How to Set up a Group DM in Discord on Desktop
Let us go through the steps to set up a Discord Group DM on your desktop or laptop:
Note: Only ten users can be added to a Group DM, by default. To increase this limit, you will have to create your own server.
1. Launch the Discord app then sign in to your account. On the left side of the screen, you will see an option titled Friends. Click on it.
2. Click on the Invite button visible in the top-right corner. It will display your Friends List.
Note: To add a person into the group chat, they must be on your Friends List.
3. Select up to 10 friends with whom you want to create a Group DM. To add a friend to the Friends List, make sure to checkmark the box next to the friend’s name.
4. Once you have selected your friends, click on the Create Group DM button.
Note: You have to select at least two members to create a group DM. If not, you cannot click on the Create Group DM button.
5. An invite link will be sent to the person on your Friends list. Once they accept your request, a new group DM will be created.
6. Now, a new group DM will be created featuring you, along with the person in direct DM and the person you have added
Your Group DM will now be created & operational. Once done, you can also generate an invite link to invite friends to the group DM. But, this feature is available only after the group DM has been created.
How to Add More Friends to the Group DM
Once you have created a group DM on Discord, you will have the option to add more friends later. Here’s how you can do so:
1. Navigate to the person icon at the top of the Group DM window. The pop-up will be titled Add Friends to DM. Click on it and select the friends you want to add from the list that appears.
2. Alternately, you also have the option to create a link. Anyone who clicks on the link will be added to the Group DM in Discord.
Note: You can even send this link to people who are not on your Friends List. They can open this link to add themselves to your Group DM.
With this method, you will be able to add friends to an existing group via an easy-to-use link.
How to Set up Discord Group DM on Mobile
1. Open the Discord app on your phone. Tap on the Friends icon on the left side of the screen.
2. Tap on the Create Group DM button that is visible in the top-right corner
3. Select up to 10 friends from the Friends List; then, tap on the Send icon.
How to Remove Someone from Group DM on Discord
If you have accidentally added someone to your Discord group or you are no longer friends with someone, this option will enable you to remove the said person from group DM as follows:
1. Click on the Group DM which is listed with the other Direct Messages.
2. Now, click Friends from the top-right corner. A list with all the friends in this group will appear.
3. Right-click on the name of the friend you want to remove from the group.
4. Finally, click on Remove From Group.
How to Change the Name of the Group DM on Discord
If you wish to change Group Name on Discord, follow the given steps:
1. Open your Group DM. It will be listed with all other Direct Messages.
2. At the top of the screen, the current name of the group DM is displayed on the bar.
Note: By default, group DM is named after the people in the group.
3. Click on this bar and rename the group DM to one of your choices.
How to set up Discord Group Video Call
Once you know how to set up a group DM on Discord, you will also be able to do a Discord group video call. Follow these simple steps to set up a Discord group video call:
1. Open the Group DM listed with all other DMs.
2. From the top-right corner, click on the video camera icon. Your camera will launch.
3. Once all group members accept the call, you will be able to see & converse with each other.
- How to Check if Someone Blocked you on Instagram
- How to Send Direct Messages on Instagram
- Fix Can’t Send Text Message to One Person
- How to Boost the Bass of Headphones and Speakers in Windows 10
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to learn how to set up Group DM on both computer & mobile devices, how to change the group name, how to remove someone from the group, and how to set up Discord Group video call. If you have any queries/comments regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.