You might have noticed that people have developed a liking for larger phone screens. Not only do they look chic, but for older users, visibility has been dramatically increased. However, expanding screens have created issues for users who have the habit of typing with one hand. But thankfully, we do have solutions to counter this problem. In this post, you will come across a few ways of resizing your keyboard on the Android phone.
There are several ways in which you can resize your keyboard. You can either expand it for better visibility & correct typing or reduce its size to make it easier for one-hand typing. It all depends on what you’re comfortable with. The most common keyboards out there include the Google Keyboard/ GBoard, Samsung Keyboard, Fliksy, and Swifty. Therefore, in case you’re planning to use any of these, continue reading this article.
How to Resize Keyboard on Android Phone
What are the reasons to resize the keyboard on your Android phone?
For a lot of us, the bigger the screen, the better they are. They make gaming more straightforward and more attractive. Watching movies on bigger screens is always a better preference. The only downside to this would be, you guessed it— typing. The size of your hands remains the same no matter what the size of the screen is. Here are a few reasons why you might want to resize the keyboard on an Android phone:
- If you prefer typing with one hand, but the keyboard is a little big.
- If you want to enhance visibility by enlarging the keyboard.
- If the size of your keyboard has been modified accidentally and you’d like to restore it to its original settings.
If you relate to any of the points mentioned above, make sure to read until the end of this post!
How to Resize the Google Keyboard or Gboard on your Android device
Gboard doesn’t allow you to resize the keyboard entirely. Therefore, one has to enable the one-handed keyboard and then adjust the height. Follow the given steps to understand how:
1. Open Settings of your smartphone then tap on Language and input.
2. Select the Gboard application and tap on ‘Preferences’.
3. From ‘Layout’, select One-handed mode.
4. From the menu that is now displayed, you can select if it has to left-handed or right-handed mode.
5. Once selected, go to ‘Keyboard height’ and select from the seven options that are displayed. These will include extra short, short, mid-short, normal, mid-tall, tall, extra tall.
6. Once you are satisfied with your keyboard dimensions, press Okay, and you’re done!
How to Resize the Fleksy Keyboard on Android
If you’re using the Fleksy keyboard, the type of customizations available is a lot less than the Gboard mentioned earlier. You can follow the given steps to resize the Fleksy keyboard:
1. Launch the Fleksy keyboard application.
2. From the keyboard, tap on ‘Settings’, and select ‘Look’.
3. From the three options in ‘Keyboard height— Large, Medium, and Small’ you can choose the option that suits you best!
How to Resize the Keyboard on your Samsung device
If you are using a Samsung phone, then it is most likely that you must be using a Samsung keyboard. Follow the given steps to resize it:
- Tap on Switcher and open the personalization menu.
- On the right-hand side, tap on the three dots.
- From the menu that is displayed, select ‘Modes’.
- Then tap on ‘Keyboard Size’ and select ‘Resize’.
- Then, you can adjust your keyboard size according to your liking and press Done.
You can also select from one of the three options that are displayed. These include Standard, One-Handed, and Floating Keyboard.
How to Resize Swiftkey Keyboard
- Begin by opening the Swiftkey keyboard.
- Select the ‘Typing option’ under the keyboard.
- Now tap on ‘Resize’ to adjust the height and width of your Swiftkey keyboard.
- Once set, press ‘Okay’, and you’re done!
How to Resize Keyboard using third-party Applications
As you would have noticed, all these popular keyboards have very limited options for customizing the keyboard size. So, you can download third-party applications which have been designed explicitly for customizing keyboards:
Method 1: Big Buttons Keyboard Standard
- Begin by downloading this application from the Google Play Store.
- Once it has finished downloading, open the application and tap on ‘Language and Input’. Here you will find the name of the application.
- Against the name, tap on the checkbox to enable it and then press ‘Back’. Performing these steps permits this application to be used as an input method.
- Now tap on ‘Select Input Method’ and enable the application once again.
Method 2: Big Keyboard
This is a free application that can be downloaded from Google Play Store.
- Once it has finished downloading, open the application and select ‘Language and Input’.
- In this menu, enable the Big Keyboard application.
- Your phone might think that this is malware, and you may receive a warning. But don’t worry about that and press Okay.
- Now scroll through the app and tap on the input method. Check off the Big Keyboard box in this menu as well.
Method 3: Thick Buttons
- Download this application from the Google Play store.
- Make sure to launch it and select ‘Language and Input’.
- Select Thick Buttons from the list.
- Once done, press back and open ‘Select Input Method’.
- Check off the name Thick Buttons in this list and press Okay.
All these third-party applications have enlarged keyboards which help to resize the keyboard on Android phone more efficiently. From the methods mentioned above, you can choose any application according to your preference. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable typing with the most.
The size of the keyboard plays a significant role when you type. Typing is one of the primary reasons why we like to switch our phones from time to time. Smaller screens are a hindrance for some, while others find it more comfortable. In such a case, being able to customize the keyboard size helps a lot!
How do I get my keyboard back to normal on my Android?
If you have modified your keyboard’s size on your Android device, it can be changed back to its original settings very easily. Launch whichever keyboard you have, tap on ‘Typing’ and select the standard size. And that’s it!
If you have an external keyboard installed, you’ll have to uninstall them to restore your Android keyboard size.
- How to Delete Keyboard History on Android
- How to Reset your Keyboard to Default Settings
- How to Remove a Virus from an Android Phone
- Check Android Phone RAM type, speed, and operating frequency
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to resize the keyboard on your Android Phone. If you still have any queries regarding this article, then feel free to ask them in the comments section.