Imagine your excitement as you connect your Windows 10 or 11 device to an external display using a USB C to HDMI adapter. However, disappointment sets in when nothing appears on the screen. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this article, we’ll guide you on how to fix USB C to HDMI not working issue on Windows 10 or 11 system. Let’s begin troubleshooting!
Table of Contents
How to Fix USB C to HDMI Not Working on Windows 10 or 11
USB C to HDMI adapters provide a convenient way to connect your computer to an external display. However, setting it up can be challenging at times. If you’re experiencing difficulties connecting HDMI to your PC, don’t worry! Our guide will help you understand the reasons behind the issue and provide effective fixes.
Why is USB C to HDMI not Working?
- Hardware problems such as a faulty adapter or USB port.
- Outdated or incompatible drivers for the USB to HDMI adapter.
No matter what the reason is, you can try out these simple fixes to resolve the issue!
Method 1: Hardware Related Troubleshooting
Most of the time, if your USB C to HDMI connection isn’t working on your Windows PC, it’s likely because there’s something wrong with the hardware you’re using. So, let’s start by exploring some simple troubleshooting methods related to hardware issues.
1A. Connect to Alternative USB Port or Change Hub
Sometimes, the problem might be with the specific USB port or USB hub you’re using. To check if this is the issue, try connecting the USB to HDMI adapter to a different USB port on your computer or switch to a different USB hub, if you’re using one. This will help determine if the problem is related to the port you initially used.
1B. Replace with a Different Cable
The problem can also be with the cable you are using for the connection. If so, try using a new cable to connect the two and check if USB C to HDMI connection is maintained. If not, you can rule out the cable as faulty.
1C. Get Hardware Checked or Replaced
Another hardware-related solution is to get it checked by a professional. If the issue is in your hardware, you can get it replaced to get USB C to HDMI working again.
Method 2: Scan for Hardware Changes
Scanning for hardware changes can prompt Windows to recognize and configure the USB to HDMI adapter correctly.
1. Open Device Manager and select your PC at the top of the list.
2. Tap on the magnifying glass with the monitor icon (Scan for hardware changes) at the top right corner.
Wait for the scan to complete and check if the USB C to HDMI adapter is detected.
Method 3: Change the Adapter
If the above methods fail and the USB C to HDMI adapter still doesn’t work, the adapter itself must be faulty. Try using a different USB C to HDMI adapter to see if the problem lies with the adapter rather than your computer.
Also Read: Fix USB-C to HDMI Not Working on Android
Method 4: Update or Rollback Windows
To address any potential issues with the operating system, you can either update to the latest version or rollback to a previous version of Windows.
1. Rollback Windows 10 or 11
Note: The following steps were performed on Windows 11.
1. Press the Win + I keys to open Settings and click on Windows Update.
2. Open Advanced options and click on Recovery.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to rollback the Windows version.
2. Update Windows 10 or 11 to the Latest Version
1. Follow step 1 mentioned above and click on Check for updates.
2. Install any available updates, restart your computer, and check if the USB C to HDMI adapter works.
Also Read: How to Connect Samsung Phone to TV with HDMI
Method 5: Update the USB to HDMI Driver
Updating the driver for your USB to use an HDMI adapter can often resolve compatibility issues and ensure proper functionality.
1. Press Win + X keys and select Device Manager.
2. In the Device Manager window, double-click on Human Interface Devices, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, or Other Devices option to expand it.
3. Right-click on your USB device and select Update driver.
4. Click on Search automatically for drivers to install the latest driver for your USB to HDMI adapter.
Method 6: Reinstall USB to HDMI Driver
Lastly, you can try reinstalling USB to HDMI Driver as a fix. This method is recommended only after you have tried each fix as mentioned above. To reinstall the USB to HDMI Driver, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to Device Manager in your system and right-click on your USB device to select Uninstall device.
2. Now, follow the on-screen instructions till the device is completely uninstalled.
3. Then, visit the manufacturer’s official USB to HDMI Adapter website.
4. There, download the USB to HDMI Driver for your respective Windows system.
Once the installation is completed, restart your device and check if the issue is resolved.
By trying out these methods, you should be able to fix the problem of your USB C to HDMI adapter not working on Windows 10 or 11. We hope this article has been helpful to you in resolving the issue. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to leave a comment below.