Many times, when you try to launch certain Microsoft Store applications on your computer, you may come across a specified user does not have a valid profile error. Certain programs, such as Skype and Spotify, may become inaccessible due to this error. There can be various reasons for this issue, such as improper folder permissions and conflicting background processes. In this guide, we will be discussing various methods to fix this issue on Windows 10.
How to Fix the Specified User Does Not Have a Valid Profile on Windows 10
This issue often arises when attempting to access a user profile on a platform such as Spotify or Skype. Some of the common reasons are:
- Booting issue with the PC
- Improper permissions to the user profile
- Background processes interfere with Spotify and Skype
- An incorrect Windows App Store location
- Improper settings in the Microsoft Store
Method 1: Restart Windows PC
Method 2: End Task for App with Task Manager
Sometimes, when the background processes interfere with the Spotify and Skype applications, you may come across this error while trying to launch the application. To resolve this issue, End Task in Windows 10 using Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
Method 3: Disable Startup Apps
Sometimes, the apps that are allowed to run during startup can malfunction and cause this error on your system. You can fix thid issue by disabling the startup permission for these applications from the Task Manager.
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together to open Task Manager.
2. Navigate to the Startup tab.
3. Locate and select all the Enabled apps, and click the Disable button from the bottom-right side of the screen.
Also Read: Best Equalizer Settings for Spotify
Method 4: Install Windows Update
Sometimes, this issue can also be caused by a corrupt or outdated Windows 10 update. When you install an app that may not be compatible with your current Windows update, you may come across this error. Therefore, you can try to check for Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update
Method 5: Create New User Profile
Sometimes, if the specified user does not have a valid profile on Spotify issues occur due to restricted permissions in a user profile, you can try to fix this issue by creating a new user profile on your system. Read our guide on How to Create a Local User Account on Windows 10 and implement the same.
Also Read: How to Reset Microsoft Account Password
Method 6: Change Microsoft Store App Location
Generally, users get this error while trying to launch a Microsoft Store application on their computers. The reason behind this issue could be the improper permissions on the folder to run the applications. You can try to fix the specified user does not have a valid profile issue by moving the apps from the Microsoft Store folder to a different location on the hard drive.
1. Press Windows + E keys simultaneously to open File Explorer on your computer.
2. Here, navigate to the following location path.
3. Now, in the file explorer, navigate to the View tab.
4. Locate and check the box for Show hidden items.
5. Now, locate the WindowsApps folder.
6. Right-click on the folder and click Properties.
7. Here, navigate to the Security tab.
8. Now, click the Advanced option.
9. In the Owner section, click on Change.
10. Enter your username and click Check Names; if found, click OK.
11. Click Apply and then OK to save the changes.
12. Now, again, open File Explorer and navigate to the following location path.
13. Here, locate and right-click on the Windows Store folder.
14. Now, select Cut, and paste the folder into a location of your choice. (Preferably :C drive)
15. Locate the .exe file and launch the program.
Method 7: Reset Microsoft Store
As already explained, the issue can often occur due to issues with the Microsoft Store. If you can’t find a solution, it’s a good idea to reset the Microsoft Store on your computer.
1. Press the Window key to open the start menu.
2. In the search bar, type WSReset.exe and press the Enter key.
If this does not help, and still can’t figure out how to fix the specified user does not have a valid profile Skype and Spotify errors, try the next method.
Method 8: Remove Third-Party Applications
Sometimes, various third-party applications can cause this error on your computer. Therefore, you can try to fix the issues by removing these applications from your device.
1. Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type appwiz.cpl and press the Enter key.
3. Locate the problematic application and Uninstall it.
Method 9: Reinstall Programs
If none of the previous methods works and you cannot fix the specified user does not have a valid profile issue, you can try to reinstall Spotify or Skype app depending on where you are facing the said issue on your computer.
1. Press Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
2. Here, click on Apps.
3. Now, locate and select Spotify.
4. Click Uninstall.
5. Click Uninstall again to confirm the action.
6. Then, open Microsoft Store from the start menu.
7. Search for Spotify app.
8. Select the application from the search result and click Get to install the app.
If you are facing specified user does not have a valid profile on Skype, then you can repeat the above steps for the Skype app.
Recommended: How to Clear Spotify Cache in Windows 10
We hope this guide was helpful to you and you were able to figure out how to fix the specified user does not have a valid profile issue. Let us know which method worked for you. If you have any suggestions or queries for us, please let us know in the comment section.