How to Fix Application Error 0xc000007b: 0xc000007b Application Error is a very common error that sometimes occurs when trying to run some Direct X games or applications. Most of the window users face this error on a regular basis but they don’t know how to fix this permanently. Actually, there could be many reasons for this error to pop up so there is no single fix, hence we are going to talk about all the different fixes for it. But before moving any further let’s just talk about what this error is all about.
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.
What 0xc000007b Application Error actually means?
That particular error code refers to an invalid image format. However, what the error code usually means is that you are trying to run a program that is intended to work with a 64 bit Windows operating system, but that you only have a 32 bit OS. There are a couple of other reasons why this might be happening as well, particularly if you know you have a 64-bit operating system or have been able to run the program in the past. Here are some troubleshooting steps to Fix Application Error 0xc000007b.
- How to Fix Application Error 0xc000007b
- Method 1: Run the application as an Administrator
- Method 2: Run the application in Compatibility mode
- Method 3: Reinstall the Application
- Method 4: Hard Disk Error Checking
- Method 5: Reinstall DirectX
- Method 6: Install or repair .NET Framework
- Method 7: Replace 32-bit xinput1_3.dll with an appropriate version
- Method 8: Reinstall all Microsoft Visual C++ runtime packages
How to Fix Application Error 0xc000007b
Before making any changes to the system make sure to create a restore point, just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Run the application as an Administrator
Right-click on your application and choose “Run as administrator“. Sometimes providing administrative privileges to the application might solve this problem. If providing administrative privileges solves this problem then you might always consider running your application with it.
To do this, right-click on the application icon and click on Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and check “Run this program as an administrator.“
Method 2: Run the application in Compatibility mode
Sometimes running the application in compatibility mode can fix Application Error 0xc000007b because it might be possible that the application is not compatible with the newer version of windows. Let’s see how to do this:
1.Right click on the application icon and click on Properties.
2.Select the Compatibility tab and click on “Run compatibility troubleshooter.“
3. And then select “Try recommended settings” after which you can either test your application or just hit next.
4. And if the above didn’t work out for you then you could manually select compatibility mode and from the drop-down choose “Windows XP.“
Method 3: Reinstall the Application
Uninstall the application and then again install it but before that, you must follow this:
1. Install the application to the system partition (C:) because the application may return an error if installed on a logical partition.
2. Make sure to turn off your antivirus program before the installation. [Note: Scan your program file before turning off your antivirus]
Method 4: Hard Disk Error Checking
To Fix Application Error 0xc000007b you should regularly check your hard disk for errors. All you need to do is follow these steps:
1. Right-click on the start button and select “Command prompt (Admin).“
2. Type chkdsk c: /f /r and press enter.
3. It will ask you to schedule the scan as the C drive is in use, type Y to schedule the scan and press enter.
Now when you restart the windows it will check the disk during system restart and this will surely Fix Application Error 0xc000007b.
Method 5: Reinstall DirectX
To avoid 0xc000007b Application Error, you should always make sure to update your DirectX. The best way to make sure you have the latest version installed is to download DirectX Runtime Web Installer from Microsoft’s official website.
Method 6: Install or repair .NET Framework
.NET Framework may cause numerous errors and problems if it isn’t regularly updated. To make sure you have the latest version visit here. If you already have the latest version of the .NET Framework, the installer will offer you to repair .NET Framework to its original state. If it doesn’t solve the 0xc000007b Application Error, continue reading!
Method 7: Replace 32-bit xinput1_3.dll with an appropriate version
0xc000007b Application Error occurs when the xinput1_3.dll file becomes corrupted or overwritten with another version that happens to be incompatible. To replace 32-bit xinput1_3.dll with an appropriate version follow these steps:
1. Download 32-bit xinput1_3.dll file and extract it.
NOTE: Before doing anything, you should first backup your original xinput1_3.dll file (which should be located here: C:\Windows\SysWOW64) and if something didn’t go as planned you can always restore it back.
2. Copy the extracted xinput1_3.dll file then go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and paste the file there.
3. If prompted, the option copy and replace.
Method 8: Reinstall all Microsoft Visual C++ runtime packages
Microsoft Visual C++ runtime packages are an essential part of running Windows applications hence reinstalling them can Fix Application Error 0xc000007b. Visual C++ packages have both 32-bit & 64-bit versions and they both are equally important.
Note: Before following any of the listed steps, it’s mandatory to create a system restore point just in case something goes wrong you can easily switch back to the previous state. If you don’t know how to do that, read my previous post on how to create a system restore point.
1. First, go to the control panel and click on Uninstall a program.
2. Now completely remove all Microsoft Visual C++ packages from your computer. After that restart your PC.
3. When your system restarts, none of the packages will be there, go to Microsoft’s official download page here
4. Download and install each one of them and if some of them fail to install, ignore them, and install the next one. Your PC will restart several time during installation, so be patient.
You may also like:
- How To Fix Your Computer Is Low On Memory Warning
- Fix Unable to Install Driver Update Through GeForce Experience
- How To Fix MMC Could Not Create The Snap-in
- How to Fix COM Surrogate has stopped working
That’s it you will be easily able to fix Application Error 0xc000007b but if you still have any questions then feel free to comment and we shall get back to you.