Cortana is enabled by default and you can’t manually turn off Cortana in Windows 10. It seems like Microsoft doesn’t want you to turn off Cortana as there is no direct option/setting in either the Control or Settings app. Earlier it was possible to switch off Cortana using a simple toggle but Microsoft removed it in the Anniversary Update. Now you need to either use Registry Editor or Group Policy to enable or disable Cortana in Windows 10.
It’s not necessary that everyone uses Cortana and a few users don’t want Cortana to listen to everything. Although, there are settings to disable almost all the features of Cortana but still many users want to completely disable Cortana from their System. Anyway, without wasting any time let’s see How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 with the help of the below-listed tutorial.
Table of Contents
How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 using Registry Editor
1. Press Windows Key + R then type regedit and hit Enter.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
3. If you can’t find Windows Search then navigate to Windows folder:
4. Then right-click on Windows select New then click on “Key“. Now name this key as Windows Search and hit Enter.
5. Similarly, right-click on Windows Search key (folder) and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
6. Name this newly created DWORD as “AllowCortana” and hit Enter.
7. Double-click on AllowCortana DWORD and change it’s value according to:
To Enable Cortana in Windows 10: 1
To Disable Cortana in Windows 10: 0
8. Close everything and restart your PC to save changes.
Note: If this doesn’t work then make sure to follow the above steps for the Registry key:
Method 2: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 using Group Policy
1. Press Windows Key + R then type gpedit.msc and hit Enter.
2. Navigate to the following policy location:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search
3. Make sure to select Search then in right window pane double-click on “Allow Cortana“.
4. Now change its’ value according to:
To Enable Cortana in Windows 10: Select Not Configured or Enable
To Disable Cortana in Windows 10: Select Disabled
6. Once finished, click Apply followed by OK.
7. Close everything and reboot your PC to save changes.
- Add Copy To Folder and Move To Folder in the Context Menu in Windows 10
- Enable or Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Lock Screen
- Hide Items from Control Panel in Windows 10
- Show Control Panel in WinX Menu in Windows 10
That’s it you have successfully learned How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 but if you still have any queries regarding this tutorial then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.