Google Maps and Google Earth provide powerful tools for creating, visualizing, and sharing geographic data. One commonly used file format for these purposes is KML, also known as Keyhole Markup Language. In this article, we will explore step-by-step methods to download a KML file from Google Maps and Google Earth.
How To Download KML File From Google Maps
KML files allow you to store and exchange geographic information, making it easier to share and collaborate on projects. This means that you can download KML files, and even use files shared by others to personalize maps.
Can You Create A Map Via KML File With Google Maps?
Yes, you can create a map by importing a KML file. However, it’s more like modifying an existing map. Imagine your friend has created a KML file with markers, polygons, or directions, and they have shared that file with you. Now, you can use that file for further editing.
However, if you want to create your own KML file and design your own map from the beginning, you can follow these steps:
1. Open your web browser and go to Google My Maps.
2. Sign in to your Google account.
3. Create a new map by clicking on the CREATE A NEW MAP button.
4. Customize the map by adding points, lines, or shapes.
5. Click on the three vertical dots in the upper-left corner and select Export to KML/KMZ.
6. Check the box to select the KML format instead of KMZ and click on the Download button.
7. If the download is completed, you can get the KML file in your default download location in the file manager.
Also Read: How Often Does Google Earth Update?
How To Download KML File For Google Earth
Google Earth is like an upgraded version of Google Maps, offering similar capabilities but with extra features for creating 3D maps and exploring locations in greater detail. If you want to download a KML file for Google Earth, just follow these steps:
1. Visit the official Google Earth website to download and install the Google Earth application.
2. Scroll down and click on Download Earth Pro on your desktop.
3. Open Google Earth on your computer.
4. Explore the desired location and create your 3D map by adding placemarks, lines, or shapes.
5. Click on File at the top right corner.
6. Hover on Save and then click on Save Place As…
7. Choose the KML format from the drop-down menu and specify the file name and location.
8. Click on the Save button to download the KML file to your computer.
9. Once the KML file is exported and downloaded, you can get it in the location where you saved it. You can also share your KML files with your friends and let them know your favorite places visually.
That’s it! You’ve now learned how to download a KML file from both Google Maps and Google Earth. Now you can easily access and utilize geographic data for your various projects. If you have any further questions regarding Google Maps or Google Earth, feel free to share them in the comments section below.