In this age of incredible advancements, we’re constantly surrounded by exciting news about cutting-edge AI technologies. Every tech company is trying to bring us innovative AI tools that make our lives easier. Just last November 2023, Microsoft launched Copilot AI – an amazing AI companion designed to assist you in various productive tasks. Curious to learn more? Keep reading to know everything about it, including how to download and use Microsoft Copilot on your Windows 10 or 11 system.
How to Download and Install Microsoft Copilot on Windows 10/11
Microsoft Copilot is an AI assistant that can handle your questions and help you with a wide range of productive tasks using the latest OpenAI LLM technology and allows professionals to bring generative AI into their everyday workflows. It is Microsoft’s official brand name for an AI companion, and many different application-based versions of Copilots exist, each designed with different tasks in mind.
Is Microsoft Copilot Available Now?
Yes, Copilot is readily available on Windows 11. But Copilot Windows (in preview) is available starting November 30, 2023, for Windows 10 (version 22H2). This exciting release aligns with the non-security preview update for devices running the Home and Pro editions in November 2023.
As said above, if you are using Windows 11, Copilot is readily available as part of the version 22H2 update and you can enable or disable it according to your preferences. For Windows 10, you need to download it from the official site. Copilot is currently only supported in Microsoft Edge or Chrome browsers on Windows and Mac OS. Before installing Microsoft Copilot on Windows, make sure your system is updated to the latest version.
Note: Copilot is still under development, so you might encounter occasional bugs or limitations. Also, its availability may vary depending on your region and language settings.
Here’s a simple guide to download a Copilot on Windows:
1. Open the Microsoft Edge browser and search Microsoft Copilot.
2. Sign in to your Microsoft account.
3. After opening Copilot in a web browser, click on the three dots menu at the top right of your screen.
4. Hover over the Apps option, and click on Install this site as an app.
5. Click on Install in the prompt to begin the installation process
6. In the next prompt, select the options according to your preferences: Pin to taskbar, Pin to Start, Create Desktop shortcut, and Auto-start on device login. Click on Allow.
Now Copilot is successfully installed on your Windows system and you can start using it to ease your productive tasks.
Note: If you’re using Chrome, then simply install the Copilot Sidebar for Chrome to activate it on your Chrome browser.
Also Read: Is Photoshop Part of Microsoft 365?
How to Use Copilot on Windows 10/11
On Windows, the availability of Copilot is limited even if you meet the requirements. So, you can access Copilot on Windows 10 only through the app in most regions. But on Windows 11, you can use the app through the Copilot icon on the taskbar or by pressing the Windows + C keys.
Since the app is still in development, you cannot expect much. You can give simpler commands as listed below:
- Turn on dark mode
- Open Windows Settings
- Launch File Explorer
- Change the wallpaper
- Take a screenshot
- Duplicate a slide (within PowerPoint)
What are the Other Main Uses of Copilot?
There are different versions of Copilot, each designed for specific tasks and apps. Copilot in Microsoft Word, Excel, Teams app, and Outlook App all offer different features and work accordingly. Let’s see how you can use Copilot in different ways:
1. Copilot in Teams App: During team meetings, this Copilot can help you review the entire meeting but also provide a concise summary. What’s more! It highlights key meeting points, identifies resolved issues, and flags areas needing attention. It just makes your every meeting productive.
2. Copilot in Outlook: Transform your email experience with Copilot in Outlook. It assists you in catching up on crucial emails and draft emails in a matter of minutes, saving you valuable hours. Additionally, Copilot can easily summarize lengthy emails in minutes.
3. Copilot in Word: Having Copilot in Word is like having a skilled co-author by your side. From proofreading your content to rewriting your document and even generating a complete document for you, Copilot can do every possible task.
4. Copilot in Excel: It can help you in data analysis to make informed decisions in the organization. It also assists in identifying trends, suggesting what-if scenarios, and providing recommendations to grow your business.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Is Copilot free to use?
Ans. Yes, Copilot for Web is available for free with a Microsoft account. However, you may encounter limitations like reduced functionality, usage quotas, or occasional ads. But Copilot on Microsoft 365 apps are subscription-based.
Q2. Can I use Copilot in offline mode?
Ans. No, to use Copilot, you always require an Internet connection to generate results.
Q3. How can I enable Microsoft Copilot on Windows?
Ans. Enabling Copilot on Windows is a different process, you can read our article on How to Enable or Disable Copilot in Windows 11.
Q4. Are Microsoft Copilot and Bing Chat the same?
Ans. Yes, Copilot and Bing Chat are one and the same. Microsoft has simply rebranded Bing Chat AI as Copilot. It’s a seamless transition, and you can expect the same level of intelligent assistance under the new Copilot name.
I trust this guide has helped download Copilot on your Windows system. Copilot is indeed an exciting AI tool that can significantly boost productivity, However, it’s essential to strike a balance and we should use AI tools wisely, ensuring we will not totally depend on these AI tools. For more such tech guides, visit Techcult.