Messaging platforms such as Messenger have usually been admired for the freedom they provide to their users. However, the same when abused by users can make their community standards seem hypocritical or just poorly executed. Even though you can report someone who doesn’t sit well with your consciousness, the process is time-consuming and may not be helpful always. For an easier, subtle one-step approach, you can just delete someone on Messenger and we will show you how to. Let’s get started!
How to Remove Someone from Messenger on Android
Even though with Messenger, it’s easier to stay in touch with others, there are times when our connections need to be adjusted. Peace over drama and discomfort is something you might already believe in. After all, what could be more important than feeling safe? Read further to go through the ways!
Method 1: Delete Contacts via Facebook
Messenger and Facebook contacts are synced with each other and with your phonebook as well. However, if you want to delete contacts on the platform, follow the steps below:
Note: You cannot delete individual contacts, but rather all at once.
1. Open Facebook and move to the Menu tab.
2. Tap the gear (Settings) icon.
3. In the Accounts Centre, tap on Your information and permissions.
4. Tap on Upload contacts.
5. Select your Messenger account from the list and then tap on Manage contacts.
6. Tap on Delete All Contacts.
Method 2: Restrict Contact
When you restrict a contact on Messenger, it limits their interaction with them as – they won’t be able to see your activity status, all messages would remain in the Message Requests folder and they won’t be able to see when you’ve read their messages. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Messenger and tap on People at the bottom.
2. Tap on the Contacts book icon at the top right corner.
3. Now navigate to the contact you want to restrict and open the chat thread.
4. Tap on the i button at the top right corner.
5. Under privacy and support, tap on Restrict.
Method 3: Block Contact
Messenger provides users the option to block contacts on Messenger or also both on Facebook and Messenger. If you want a complete cut-off from the person, follow the steps to block them:
1. Open Messenger and in the People tab, tap the Contacts book icon at the top right corner.
2. Open the chat thread with the contact you want to block.
3. Tap the i button at the top right corner and choose Block from the menu.
4. Tap on Block Messages and Calls to block them on Messenger, or tap Block on Facebook to block them on both platforms at once.
Method 4: Mute Contact
If you want to avoid interactions with someone on Messenger but cannot block or restrict them, there is an option to mute the contact. This will ensure that their cats or calls go silent.
1. Open Messenger and in the Chats section, long press on the contact you want to mute.
2. Select Mute from the menu.
3. In the pop-up, select Mute message and call notifications.
Also Read: How to Refriend Someone on Facebook
How to Remove Someone from the Messenger Active List
Messenger shows if someone is active or not and hence your friends can see when you are online. In the same way, it also offers users the feature to see when someone is present in the chat thread. You can however disable it. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Messenger and tap the three horizontal lines icon at the top left corner.
2. Tap the gear (Settings) icon.
3. In the Settings menu, tap on Activity Status.
4. Toggle off Show when you’re active.
5. Select the duration from the menu and tap on PAUSE to confirm.
If you only want to delete a Messenger contact from seeing when you are present in the chat thread, toggle off Show when you’re active together.
Can You Unfriend Someone on Messenger without Them Knowing?
Yes, Facebook doesn’t notify users when someone unfriends them. So, they cannot say if you have unfriended them on Messenger. However, it would become evident if they do not find your profile in the friends list.
That’s it! We hope our guide helped you delete someone on Messenger. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comment section. Stay tuned to TechCult for more such app-related information.