Nowadays, where social media is an integral part of our lives, there are moments when a digital detox may seem appealing to you. You could be concerned about security but held back by a forgotten password to achieve that successfully. Hence, in this detailed guide, we’ll explain how to temporarily deactivate or permanently delete your Instagram account without your password, ensuring the protection of your data.
Table of Contents
How to Delete Instagram Account without Password
Unfortunately, there is no way you can delete your Instagram account without a password. But you can reset your password first and then delete your account. However, once deleted, your account cannot be brought back, along with all other data that have been shared from it. So, before deleting your account, you need to ensure it’s something you are sure of and will not regret later on.
You can follow these steps to initiate the account deletion process:
1. Open the Instagram app and choose Log in with Facebook.
2. Log in to your FB account and set a new IG password.
3. On your Instagram profile, select the Hamburger menu icon followed by Settings and privacy.
4. Search for Deactivation or deletion and select the target account.
5. Choose Delete account and select reason.
6. Enter the account password.
Note: You can recover your deleted Instagram account if you log back in within 30 days after choosing to delete it. However, after the given time, your account is completely lost from the database and cannot be retrieved.
Method 1: Reset Instagram Password & Delete Account
If you do not remember your IG password and want to delete your account, the first method you should implement is to reset the password and then continue to erase your account.
Step I: Reset Instagram Password
The process of resetting your Instagram account password involves requesting the reset request and confirming the action via an email link. Read and follow our guide on What Can I Do If I Forgot My Instagram Password? (Reset Instagram Password) to understand this procedure better.
Step II: Delete Instagram Account
After you have reset the password, you can log in to your Instagram account and delete the account by following the steps mentioned below.
Note: Make sure you are logged into your Instagram account.
2. Tap on the Profile tab from the bottom navigation bar.
3. Tap on the Hamburger menu icon.
4. Select Settings and privacy.
5. Using the search bar, search for Deactivation or deletion.
6. Choose the target account you want to delete.
7. Select the Delete account radio button.
8. Choose the reason why you are deleting your account.
9. Follow the onscreen instructions to delete your Instagram account permanently.
Method 2: Recover Instagram Password via Facebook & Delete Account
In case your Instagram account is linked with the Facebook account, you can reset the current password with the Facebook login method. Let’s see how to do that:
2. Tap on Forgot password?
3. Select Log in with Facebook.
4. Enter your Facebook account credentials and tap on Log In.
5. Then, enter and confirm the new password.
6. Now, launch the Instagram app once again and tap on the Profile tab.
7. Tap on the Hamburger menu icon > Settings and privacy.
8. Search for Deactivation or deletion.
9. Choose the target account you want to delete and select the Delete account radio button.
10. Select the desired reason why you are deleting your account.
11. Follow the onscreen instructions to delete your Instagram account permanently.
Method 3: Report Your Profile
Instagram allows users to report IG accounts that violate community guidelines. Using this method, you can terminate your old account by reporting it.
1. Launch the Instagram application and tap on the search tab.
2. In the search bar, type your old username and tap on the desired result.
3. Now, tap on the three-dotted icon to open up the profile menu.
4. Tap on the Report… option from the profile menu.
5. Now, select the It’s pretending to be someone else option from the available ones.
6. Tap on the Me > Submit Report option.
Method 4: Contact Instagram Support
If you’ve forgotten your password and don’t have access to it, worry not! You can seek help from Instagram’s support team to recover your account. Follow the steps below:
1. Write an email requesting access to your account without any password.
2. Send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Resend the email, if you don’t receive a response.
3. You will get a recovery code from Instagram’s team.
Note: They might also request you to send a picture of you holding a piece of paper with the provided code.
If all goes well, you will regain access to your account.
How to Deactivate Your Instagram Account?
When you deactivate your Instagram account, all the data that you have shared will be hidden from other users. People will not be able to find your account when they search for it. If you wish to deactivate your Instagram account, you may follow the methods mentioned below.
Method 1: On Mobile App
Let’s see how to deactivate your IG account on the app.
1. Open the Instagram app and tap on the Profile tab at the bottom right corner.
2. Tap on the Hamburger menu icon > Settings and privacy option.
3. Search for Deactivation and deletion using the search bar.
4. Choose the desired account you wish to deactivate.
5. Then, select Deactivate account and tap on Continue.
6. Enter your current password and tap on Continue.
Note: If you do not have a password do this, tap on Forgotten password and verify it with email to change the password.
7. Choose a reason for deactivation and tap on Continue.
8. Tap on Continue again to confirm the Instagram deactivation of your account.
Also Read: Does Instagram Delete Inactive Accounts?
Method 2: On Website
The upcoming steps will demonstrate how you can delete your Instagram account permanently using the IG website.
1. Visit the Instagram Log in page on your browser.
2. Enter your account credentials and click on Log in.
3. Click on the More option from the left pane.
4. Click on Settings.
5. Click on See more in Accounts Center.
6. Select Personal details from the left pane.
7. Click on Account ownership and control.
8. Select the desired account you wish to deactivate.
9. Select Deactivate account and click on Continue.
10. Enter your current password and click on Continue.
11. Follow the onscreen instructions to deactivate your account successfully.
Has this article helped you learn how to delete an Instagram account without a password? If yes, it’s time to take control of your online presence and say goodbye to unnecessary digital clutter. If you still have questions or need further assistance, don’t hesitate to reach out in the comments section below. Until next time, happy Instagramming!