Most PCs store all their data on mechanical hard drives. Sometimes these disks fail, and all the data on your device is lost. Therefore, it is very important to check the condition of the hard drive regularly. Windows computers have the chkdsc utility to check the computer drives and perform required repairs. This utility can fix various issues, including lost clusters, bad sectors, directory errors, and cross-linked files. In this article, we will explore how to check the disk for errors by using the chkdsc utility in Windows 11.
Table of Contents
How to Check Disk for Errors Using chkdsk in Windows 11
You should run the chkdsk utility as part of your regular maintenance routine. You can also use it when Windows crashes or when the system freezes randomly. Here are two methods using which you can check your disK for errors and fix them on Windows 11 computers.
Note: Make sure to create a restore point before running the chkdsk utility to avoid data loss.
Method 1: Using the Chkdsk GUI
1. Open File Explorer, and on the left-hand side menu, click This PC.
2. Right-click on the drive on which you want to run chkdsk, and select Properties.
Note: You can also run the scan on any external drive or USB.
3. Now, click on the Tools tab under the Properties window.
4. Under the Error checking section, click on Check.
5. After running the scan, Windows will inform you that it has not found any errors on the drive. But if you still want, you can run a manual scan by clicking on Scan drive.
6. After the scanning is complete, if no errors are found, click Close. If an error is found, follow the on-screen instructions to perform the repair.
Also Read: How to Check Disk for Errors Using chkdsk
Method 2: Using the Command Prompt
1. Search for Command Prompt from the Start Menu and select Run as administrator.
2. In the command prompt, type the following command followed by the driver letter, and press Enter. For example, here we have selected C: drive,
3. You can substitute the switches, which are /f, /r, etc. If you want to know more about switches, type the following command into the Command Prompt and hit Enter
The chkdsk utility, when paired with switches, can help you locate and fix errors on your disk. We hope that now you know how to check the disk for errors using chkdsk in Windows 11 and run it to avoid any major data losses. If you have any questions, you can ask them in the comment section. Please tell us which method you prefer to check the disk for errors. For more such content, visit our site regularly.