Losing access to your accounts due to a deleted Google Authenticator app can be distressing. However, whether it was accidental deletion or a device change, the good news is that there are easy ways to restore it. This article will explore what happens when your Google Authenticator app gets deleted and learn how to recover it along with your accounts on your phone.
How Do I Recover a Deleted Google Authenticator
You can recover your deleted Google Authenticator app with your accounts added to it. We will consider two scenarios where you must reinstall the app on your phone.
When you want to access Google Authenticator on the same phone from which it was deleted, you should:
1. Open Google Play Store on your phone.
2. Search for and tap on Google Authenticator.
3. Tap Install to download the app.
4. Tap Open to launch the app.
5. As you’re signed into your Google account on your phone, the app will automatically restore previously added accounts.
Option I: Reinstall Google Authenticator App on Same Device
If you deleted the Google Authenticator app from your phone, you can reinstall the app on the same device from the Google Play Store (if using an Android device) to recover it with all the added accounts.
Note: This method will only work if you have not deleted or removed your device’s Google account connected with the Authenticator app.
1. Open the Google Play Store on your phone.
2. Search for and tap on Google Authenticator from the search results.
3. Tap on Install to download the app on your phone.
4. Then, tap on Open.
5. As you are signed into your Google account on your phone, the Google Authenticator app will automatically restore the accounts you added in the past.
Option II: Recover Google Authenticator App Accounts on New Device
If you are trying to access the Google Authenticator app with its accounts on your new phone, follow these steps:
Step I: Add Google Account to Your New Phone
1. Open Settings on your phone to add the Google account that was connected to your Google Authenticator app on another device.
2. Swipe down and tap on Google.
3. Then, tap on Sign in to your Google Account.
4. Enter the Email and Password in the given fields to Sign in to your account.
5. Recover your Google account by sending the verification code to your email account.
Step II: Install Google Authenticator App & Restore Accounts
1. After signing in successfully, open the Google Play Store app on your phone.
2. Install the Google Authenticator app.
3. Open the Google Authenticator and tap on Get started.
4. As the app will detect the recently added Google account, tap on Continue as [your account name].
It is how you can successfully recover a deleted Google Authenticator app with its accounts.
What Happens If Google Authenticator is Deleted?
If you delete the Google Authenticator app, you will lose access to accounts that use two-factor authentication (2FA). This means you won’t be able to sign in to those accounts until you regain access to the Google Authenticator app and the keys generated for these two-factor authenticated accounts. So, it is what happens when the Google Authenticator app is deleted.
We hope you found this information useful and that it helped you understand how to recover a deleted Google Authenticator. Feel free to use the comments section to contact us with any questions or recommendations. Also, let us know what you would like to learn next!