If you’re switching to a new Amazon Alexa device or no longer use Alexa, deleting the account allows you to sever ties with the ecosystem. However, the process of doing so goes beyond the simple act of disconnection. Let’s explore the precise step-by-step procedure to deregister your Alexa device and delete your account.
Table of Contents
How Do I Delete My Alexa Account
Every time you use voice commands and interact with Alexa, your personal data and preferences are collected. But what if you want to get rid of the account and the devices associated with it? Whether it’s due to valuing your privacy or wanting to disconnect from smart devices, closing your Alexa account is a significant decision. Keep reading to delve into the details of removing your account from Amazon’s ecosystem.
Follow these steps to delete your Alexa account:
1. Open the Amazon Alexa app and access the Echo & Alexa menu from the Devices tab.
2. Select the target device and tap on the Settings gear icon.
3. Tap on Deregister.
4. Now, go to the Close Your Amazon Account page while being signed in to the same Amazon account connected to the Alexa device.
5. Select the deletion reason and click on Close My Account.
Can I Delete Alexa and Start Over?
Yes, you can delete Alexa devices from your Amazon account and start over by trying out these options:
- Remove smart home devices from Alexa: If you want to remove all smart home devices from Alexa, you can use the Alexa app. Open the app, and select All Devices. From here, you can remove the devices you don’t want to use with Alexa.
- Forget all your smart devices on Alexa: If you want to start fresh with Alexa and remove all smart devices and scenes using Alexa’s web interface. This cleans out all the old, unused entries in Alexa’s smart device list, as well as dedupe Alexa’s list of scenes. This will also wipe any groups (for both rooms and speakers) that you’ve previously set up in Alexa.
- Factory reset your Alexa device: If you want to completely reset your Alexa device to its factory settings, you can do so using the Alexa app or the device’s buttons. This erases all data, including settings and preferences.
Note: Before deleting Alexa or resetting your device, make sure to back up any important data or settings that you want to retain.
Also Read: Who is Better Siri or Alexa?
What Happens If I Deregister My Alexa Device?
If you deregister your Alexa device, it will remove all personal details from the device, including your name, username, password, and any other information associated with your Amazon account. Deregistering is useful if you want to give away an Alexa device, use it in another location, or just not use it anymore.
How Do I Change My Alexa Account?
To change the Amazon account on your Alexa device, you can follow the upcoming steps:
Step I: Deregister Device from Current Account
1. Open the Amazon Alexa app on your mobile device.
2. Tap on the More tab from the right corner of the navigation bar at the bottom.
3. Tap on Settings.
4. Now, tap on Device Settings.
5. Select the target device whose account you want to change.
6. Tap on Deregister to delete the Alexa device from the current Amazon account.
Step II: Re-Register Alexa Device with New Account
1. Plug in your Alexa device and wait for it to power up.
2. Open the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
3. Tap on the Devices tab at the bottom of the screen.
4. Tap on the + icon in the top right corner of the screen.
5. Tap on Add Device.
6. Select the type of Alexa device you’re setting up after you deregister it.
7. Follow the onscreen instructions in the app to connect your Alexa device to your Wi-Fi network.
8. When prompted, enter the Amazon account credentials you want to associate with the Alexa device.
Also Read: How to Fix Red Light on Alexa
How Do I Delete My Alexa Account?
When it comes to deleting your Alexa account, it is important to note that the process may vary depending on the specific device or profile you want to delete. If you want to delete your Alexa account, you can deregister the devices and then delete the Amazon account. Let’s see how to do so:
Note: While Amazon has faced criticism regarding the collection of personal data through Alexa devices, they do provide options to manually delete past recordings and manage privacy settings.
Step I: Deregister Alexa Device
Note: The device must be powered on and reachable via Wi-Fi to deregister it. If you’re getting rid of your Alexa device, it’s also recommended to reset it to its factory settings to wipe your personal information.
1. Launch the Amazon Alexa app on your phone.
2. Tap on the Devices tab.
3. Now, select the Echo & Alexa option.
4. Tap on the desired Alexa device from the list.
5. Then, tap on the Settings gear icon from the top right corner of the device menu.
6. From the Registered To field, tap on the Deregister option.
7. Tap on Deregister from the popup to confirm the action to deregister your Alexa device from the app.
Now, let’s move on to the next step to delete your Amazon account associated with the deregistered Alexa device.
Step II: Delete Amazon Account
Note: Make sure you are signed in to your Amazon account on the same browser.
1. Navigate to the Close Your Amazon Account page on your browser and select the desired reason after scrolling down.
2. Mark the permission checkbox and click on the Close My Account option.
Wait for the confirmation email from Amazon. After you receive that, your account will be successfully deleted.
Also Read: Why I Cannot Remove Device from Alexa App?
In this tutorial, you’ve discovered how to delete your Alexa account. By removing your Alexa device or devices and deleting the associated Amazon account, you take control of your privacy and ensure that your data is handled according to your preferences. So, go ahead and enjoy a more secure and personalized Alexa experience. Until next time!