Are you looking to play the classic solitaire game on Windows 10? You will be disappointed to know that Windows 10 doesn’t have the classic solitaire game. Although, Windows 10 has Microsoft Solitaire Collection which is a collection of versions of Solitaire, but it is also not pre-installed.
The classic solitaire game has been a part of the Windows family since the release of Windows 3.0 in 1990. In fact, the classic solitaire game is one of the most used application of Windows. But with the release of Windows 8.1, the classic solitaire was replaced with a modern version known as the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection”.
Even though the Microsoft Solitaire Collection is free to install in Windows 10 and is bundled with several other classic card games, it’s just not the same. You need to pay a subscription to remove the advertisements and unlock additional features. So if you’re desperate to play the classic solitaire game on Windows 10 or you don’t want to pay for playing a game then there is a way to get the classic solitaire game in Windows 10. Knowing where to look is the key.
3 Ways to Get Classic Solitaire Game on Windows 10
Method 1: Install Classic Solitaire from Windows 10 Store
1. Navigate to Microsoft Store by searching for it in the Start menu search then click on the search result to open.
2. Once the Microsoft store opens, type Microsoft Solitaire in the search box and hit Enter.
3. Now a list of solitaire games will appear, choose the official Xbox developer Game named Microsoft Solitaire collection to install.
4. Now click on the Install button next to the three-dot icon on the right side of the screen.
5. Microsoft Solitare Collection will start downloading into your PC/laptop.
6. Once Installation is complete, the message with “This Product is Installed” will display. Click on the Play button to open the Game.
7. Now, to play the classic solitaire game that we used to play in Windows XP/7, click on the very first option Klondike.
Voila, now you can play the classic solitaire game in your Windows 10 system but if you face any issues with this method or if there is a problem with the installation then proceed to the next method.
Method 2: Download the Game Package from third-party Website
Another way of getting the classic solitaire game is by downloading and installing them from WinAero website.
1. To download navigate to WinAero website. Click on Download Windows 7 games for Windows 10.
2. Once downloaded, Extract the zip file & run the EXE file you’ve downloaded.
3. Click Yes on the pop-up then from the setup wizard choose your language.
4. Now in the setup wizard, you will get a list of all the old Windows games, solitaire being one of them. By default, all games will be selected to install. Choose and uncheck the games you don’t want to install then click on the Next button.
5. Once solitaire is installed, you can enjoy playing it on your Windows 10 system.
Method 3: Get Classic Solitaire files from Windows XP
If you have an old computer (with Windows XP installed) or running a virtual machine with Windows XP then you can easily get the classic solitaire files from Windows XP to Windows 10. You just need to copy the game files from Windows XP and paste them into Windows 10. The steps to do so are:
1. Go to that old system or Virtual Machine where Windows XP is already installed.
2. Open Windows Explorer by clicking on My Computer.
3. Navigate to this location C:\WINDOWS\system32 or you can copy this path and paste it on the address bar.
4. Under the System32 folder, click on the Search button from the top menu. From the left window pane, click on the link that says “All files and folders“.
5. Next in the search query field type “cards.dll, sol.exe” (without quote) and click on the Search button.
6. From the search result, copy these two files: cards.dll & sol.exe
Note: To copy, right-click on the above files then select Copy from the right-click context menu.
7. Insert a USB drive or flash drive. Open the USB drive from Windows Explorer.
8. Paste the two files which you copied on the USB drive.
Once you are done with the above steps, now you need to paste the above files in your Windows 10 system. So go to your Windows 10 computer and insert the USB drive then follow the below steps:
1. Press Windows Key + E to open File Explorer. Now double-click on C: drive (where Windows 10 is usually installed).
2. Under C: drive, right-click in an empty area and select New > Folder. Or press Shift + Ctrl + N to create a new folder.
3. Make sure to either name or rename the new folder to Solitaire.
4. Open the USB drive then copy the two files cards.dll & sol.exe.
5. Now open the newly created Solitaire folder. Right-click and select Paste from the context menu to paste the above files.
6. Next, double-click on the “Sol.exe” file and the classic solitaire game will open.
You can also create a shortcut file of this game on the desktop to access it easily:
1. Open File Explorer by pressing Windows Key + E.
2. Navigate to Solitaire Folder inside the C: Drive.
3. Now right-click on the Sol.exe file and choose the “Send to” option then select Desktop (create shortcut).
4. A Solitaire game Shortcut will be created on your Desktop. Now you can play the solitaire game anytime from your desktop.
That’s it, I hope using the above guide you were able to get the Classic Solitaire Game on Windows 10. And as always you are welcome to leave your suggestions and recommendations in the comments below. And remember to share the article on social media – you might make someone’s day.