Many users face an error code 0x80072efe while trying to update their Windows using Windows update, which is quite a serious problem. Without updating the system, it can be vulnerable to spyware, viruses or malware. The Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe usually means that the system cannot contact Microsoft’s Windows Server. Well, Microsoft has certain criteria you must meet to download latest updates from its servers, including having correct date & time on your PC.
Yes, the main cause of this error has incorrect date & time on your PC, or it can also be because of Firewall blocking the connection. In any case, you won’t be able to download and install the latest updates from Microsoft, and to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe; you must follow the below-listed troubleshooting guide.
Table of Contents
Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Set Correct Date & Time on your PC
1. Click on the date and time on the taskbar and then select “Date and time settings.
2 . If on Windows 10, make “Set Time Automatically” to “on.”
3. For others, click on “Internet Time” and tick mark on “Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server.”
4. Select Server “time.windows.com” and click update and “OK”. You don’t need to complete the update. Just click, OK.
Setting correct date & time should Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe but if the issue is still not resolved, continue.
Method 2: Temporarily Disable Antivirus and Firewall
Sometimes the Antivirus program can cause an error, and to verify this is not the case here; you need to disable your antivirus for a limited time so that you can check if the error still appears when the antivirus is off.
1. Right-click on the Antivirus Program icon from the system tray and select Disable.
2. Next, select the time frame for which the Antivirus will remain disabled.
Note: Choose the smallest amount of time possible, for example, 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
3. Once done, again try to connect to open Google Chrome and check if the error resolves or not.
4. Search for the control panel from the Start Menu search bar and click on it to open the Control Panel.
5. Next, click on System and Security then click on Windows Firewall.
6. Now from the left window pane click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
7. Select Turn off Windows Firewall and restart your PC.
Again try to open Google Chrome and visit the web page, which was earlier showing the error. If the above method doesn’t work, please follow the same steps to turn on your Firewall again.
Method 3: Uncheck Proxy Option
1. Press Windows Key + R then type inetcpl.cpl and hit enter to open Internet Properties.
2. Next, Go to Connections tab and select LAN settings.
3. Uncheck Use a Proxy Server for your LAN and make sure “Automatically detect settings” is checked.
4. Click Ok then Apply and reboot your PC.
Method 4: Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
1. Download and install CCleaner & Malwarebytes.
2. Run Malwarebytes and let it scan your system for harmful files. If malware is found, it will automatically remove them.
3. Now run CCleaner and select Custom Clean.
4. Under Custom Clean, select the Windows tab and checkmark defaults and click Analyze.
5. Once Analyze is complete, make sure you’re certain to remove the files to be deleted.
6. Finally, click on the Run Cleaner button and let CCleaner run its course.
7. To further clean your system, select the Registry tab, and ensure the following are checked:
8. Click on the Scan for Issues button and allow CCleaner to scan, then click on the Fix Selected Issues button.
9. When CCleaner asks “Do you want backup changes to the registry?” select Yes.
10. Once your backup has completed, click on the Fix All Selected Issues button.
11. Restart your PC to save changes.
- Fix Windows Media Player cannot play the file
- Fix Folder View Settings Not Saving in Windows 10
- Aw, Snap! Google Chrome Error
- Fix Show Most Used Apps Setting Is Greyed Out In Windows 10
That’s it you have successfully Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe but if you still have any questions regarding this post then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.
I have the same problem but with our Server 2012 standard.
Can anybody help me plz how to solve this issue. I have tried many options but no luck.
I have an IT audit very soon. Plz help me to resolve this issue.
i still have problem Windows Update Error Code 0x80072efe
Pleas tell me how to fix it in windows7 64 bit