You may experience ‘Windows Update Error 80072ee2’ when Windows updates itself. This is accompanied by a message indicating that ‘fault is unknown’ and ‘no additional information is available’. This is a common issue with Windows devices. Nevertheless, this problem won’t bother you for long. Through this detailed guide, we are going to help you fix the Windows update error 8072ee2.
How to Fix Windows Update Error 80072ee2
Why does Windows Update Error 80072ee2 Occur?
Updating Windows helps the operating system to install the most recent security updates and bug fixes. Thus, ensuring that your machine functions well with as much safety as possible. The update process is occasionally unable to finish. This results in Windows update-related problems rather than the resolution of other issues. When you connect to a Windows server to get the latest updates, and the computer is unable to connect, Windows update error 80072ee2 message appears on your screen.
Points to consider before updating Windows
1. Make sure that the computer is still hooked up to the internet and has enough battery life. Otherwise, it may lose connectivity or shut down before the program has finished downloading and installing. Such interruptions, too, can create update issues.
2. As malicious software can create problems, keep your system security software up to date and run a malware scan from time to time.
3. Check for available space on the hard drives.
4. Make sure that the correct time and date are set before allowing Windows Update to use it.
Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The Windows update troubleshooter examines all of your computer settings and registries, compares these to Windows update requirements, and then suggests solutions to resolve the problem.
Note: Before running the troubleshooter, make sure you are logged in as an administrator.
These are the steps to solve OS issues using an in-built Windows troubleshooter:
1. To open the Start menu search bar, press Windows + S keys together.
2. In the dialogue box, type troubleshoot and click on the first result that appears.
3. Select Windows Update from the troubleshooting menu.
4. Then, click on the Run the troubleshooter button.
5. Windows will now begin troubleshooting and look for any issues.
Note: You may be informed that the troubleshooter needs administrative privileges to check for system issues.
6. Select Try troubleshooting as an administrator.
7. Restart your computer after the patches have been applied and verify if Windows update error 80072ee2 is fixed.
Method 2: Review Microsoft’s Official Documentation
For Windows operating system, you might need to examine Microsoft’s official documentation. Some updates appear to have been superseded by the latest operating system updates. Hence, you will first need to confirm if these new rules apply to you.
1. Windows has published official documentation that explains how to resolve this error. Read, verify and implement them thoroughly.
2. Finally, restart your computer. The error should have resolved.
Method 3: Modify Registry Entries
Changing the registry and removing several keys is the easiest way of fixing this update problem. Follow the given steps to alter registry settings to fix Windows update error 8072ee2:
1. Press the Window + R keys together to open the Run dialogue box.
2. Type services.msc in the Run dialogue box, and then click OK.
3. Locate the Windows Update service in the services console.
4. Right-click on Windows Update service then select Stop from the context menu.
Note: You must disable the Windows Update service before making any modifications in the registry settings to rectify the issue.
5. Hold the Windows + R keys once again.
6. Type the below commands in the Run box and then click OK.
7. Now, Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder here.
8. Return to the Services Console.
9. Right-click Windows Update service and select Start.
10. Hold the Windows and R keys to open the Run dialogue box for the last time.
11. Here, type regedit and hit Enter.
12. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor:
13. Look for the keys WUServer and WUStatusServer in the right pane.
14. Right-click on each of them then select Delete.
15. Select Yes to continue with your actions.
16. Again go back to the service window, right-click on Windows Update, and select Start.
You can now update without facing any problem.
Also Read: Fix Windows 7 Updates Not Downloading
Method 4: Reset Windows Update Component
1. Open Command Prompt. The user can perform this step by searching for ‘cmd’ and then press Enter.
2. Type the following command into cmd and hit Enter after each one:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
3. Delete the qmgr*.dat files, to do this again open cmd and type:
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat”
4. Type the following into cmd and hit Enter:
cd /d %windir%\system32
5. Reregister the BITS files and the Windows Update files. Type each of the following commands individually in cmd and hit Enter after each one:
regsvr32.exe atl.dll regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll regsvr32.exe browseui.dll regsvr32.exe jscript.dll regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll regsvr32.exe msxml.dll regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll regsvr32.exe softpub.dll regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll regsvr32.exe ole32.dll regsvr32.exe shell32.dll regsvr32.exe initpki.dll regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll regsvr32.exe wups.dll regsvr32.exe wups2.dll regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll regsvr32.exe muweb.dll regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
6. To reset Winsock:
netsh winsock reset
7. Reset the BITS service and the Windows Update service to the default security descriptor:
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
8.Again start the Windows update services:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
9. Install the latest Windows Update Agent.
10. Reboot your PC to save changes.
Q. Why are Windows updates not installing no matter what I do?
Ans. Windows Update is a Microsoft application that automatically downloads and installs security updates and system improvements for Windows operating system. Although it is not without flaws of its own, most of these can be rectified easily.
If you see a failed update in your Windows Update History, restart your PC and rerun Windows Update.
Make sure that the computer is still hooked up to the internet and has enough battery life. Otherwise, it may lose connectivity or shut down before the program has finished downloading and installing. Such interruptions, too, can create update issues.
If straightforward troubleshooting fails to install the update, the Microsoft website provides a Windows Update Troubleshooter program for Windows that you may use to troubleshoot particular difficulties.
Note: Some updates might be incompatible and will not install regardless of your efforts.
- Fix This app can’t open in Windows 10
- Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter to fix issues
- How to Fix Action Blocked on Instagram Error
We hope this guide was helpful and you were able to easily fix Windows update error 80072ee2. Let us know which method worked for you best. If you have any queries regarding this article, then drop them in the comments section.