If your WiFi is not working and the network icon has a yellow exclamation mark next to it on the taskbar, then you might be facing the error “Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings.” You wouldn’t straightly see this error, but if you try to run network troubleshooter, it will diagnose the issue but won’t fix it and leave you with this error message.
If you are facing this error, then it might be possible that you may be experiencing slow internet connection from a long time. You won’t be able to get internet access, and you will see a limited connectivity issue along with the above error. This error’s main cause seems to be changed in proxy settings in your Windows, and this change may be caused because of malware infection or change in the system file or network settings.
While there is no single cause of this error but it seems users are very frustrated with this error as they are not able to fix it. Anyway, without wasting any time let’s see how to actually Fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings error with the below-listed troubleshooting guide.
Note: Make sure you first, try to restart your WiFi modem or router and then reboot your PC to resolve the issue.
- Fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings
- Method 1: Uncheck Proxy
- Method 2: Flush DNS and Reset TCP/IP
- Method 3: Temporarily Disable Antivirus and Firewall
- Method 4: Run netsh winsock reset command
- Method 5: Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
- Method 6: Run System Restore
- Method 7: Uninstall Network Drivers
- Method 8: Update your network drivers
Fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Uncheck Proxy
1. Press Windows Key + R then type inetcpl.cpl and hit enter to open Internet Properties.
2. Next, Go to Connections tab and select LAN settings.
3. Uncheck Use a Proxy Server for your LAN and make sure “Automatically detect settings” is checked.
4. Click Ok then Apply and reboot your PC.
Method 2: Flush DNS and Reset TCP/IP
1. Right-click on Windows Button and select “Command Prompt(Admin).”
2. Now type the following command and press Enter after each one:
3. Again, open Admin Command Prompt and type the following and hit enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns nbtstat –r netsh int ip reset netsh winsock reset
4. Reboot to apply changes. Flushing DNS seems to Fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings.
Method 3: Temporarily Disable Antivirus and Firewall
Sometimes the Antivirus program can cause an error. To verify this is not the case here; you need to disable your antivirus for a limited time so that you can check if the error still appears when the antivirus is off.
1. Right-click on the Antivirus Program icon from the system tray and select Disable.
2. Next, select the time frame for which the Antivirus will remain disabled.
Note: Choose the smallest amount of time possible, for example, 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
3. Once done, again try to connect to open Google Chrome and check if the error resolves or not.
4. Search for the control panel from the Start Menu search bar and click on it to open the Control Panel.
5. Next, click on System and Security then click on Windows Firewall.
6. Now from the left window pane click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
7. Select Turn off Windows Firewall and restart your PC.
Again try to open Google Chrome and visit the web page, which was earlier showing the error. If the above method doesn’t work, please follow the same steps to turn on your Firewall again.
Method 4: Run netsh winsock reset command
1. Press Windows Key + X then select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type the following command into cmd and hit Enter after each one:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit
3. You will get a message “Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog.”
4. Reboot your PC, and this will Fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings.
Method 5: Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
1. Download and install CCleaner & Malwarebytes.
2. Run Malwarebytes and let it scan your system for harmful files. If malware is found, it will automatically remove them.
3. Now run CCleaner and select Custom Clean.
4. Under Custom Clean, select the Windows tab and checkmark defaults and click Analyze.
5. Once Analyze is complete, make sure you’re certain to remove the files to be deleted.
6. Finally, click on the Run Cleaner button and let CCleaner run its course.
7. To further clean your system, select the Registry tab, and ensure the following are checked:
8. Click on the Scan for Issues button and allow CCleaner to scan, then click on the Fix Selected Issues button.
9. When CCleaner asks “Do you want backup changes to the registry?” select Yes.
10. Once your backup has completed, click on the Fix All Selected Issues button.
11. Restart your PC to save changes.
Method 6: Run System Restore
System Restore always works in resolving the error; therefore System Restore can definitely help you in fixing this error. So without wasting any time run system restore to Fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings.
Method 7: Uninstall Network Drivers
1. Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
2. Expand Network Adapters and find your network adapter name.
3. Make sure you note down the adapter name just in case something goes wrong.
4. Right-click on your network adapter and uninstall it.
5. If ask for confirmation, select Yes.
6. Restart your PC and try to reconnect to your network.
Method 8: Update your network drivers
1. Press Windows key + R and type devmgmt.msc in Run dialogue box to open device manager.
2. Expand Network adapters, then right-click on your Wi-Fi controller (for example Broadcom or Intel) and select Update Driver Software.
3. In the Update Driver Software Windows, select “Browse my computer for driver software.”
4. Now select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.”
5. Try to update drivers from the listed versions.
6. If the above didn’t work then go to the manufacturer’s website to update drivers:
7. Install the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website and reboot your PC.
- Fix DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Error 0x00000133
- How to Fix Windows Store Error Code 0x803F8001
- Resolve Windows 10 Freezes Randomly Issue
- Fix There was a problem resetting your PC error
That’s it you have successfully Fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings but if you still have any questions regarding this post then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.