While trying to update Windows 10, you may face the error 0x800705b4 which prevents you from updating your Windows. As we all know, Windows update is important as it patches vulnerabilities and makes your PC more secure from the external exploit. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Update & Security icon, then under Windows Update, you will see the following error:
There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800705b4)
There is no particular cause for this error message, but it may be caused by corrupted or outdated system files, incorrect Windows update configuration, corrupted SoftwareDistribution folder, outdated drivers, etc. Anyway, without wasting any time let’s see How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x800705b4 with the help of the below-listed tutorial.
Table of Contents
Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x800705b4
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
1. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Update & Security.
2. From the left-hand menu, make sure to select Troubleshoot.
3. Now under Get up and running section, click on Windows Update.
4. Once you click on it, click on “Run the troubleshooter” under Windows Update.
5. Follow on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter and see if you’re able to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x800705b4.
Method 2: Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
1. Open Command Prompt. The user can perform this step by searching for ‘cmd’ and then press Enter.
2. Now type the following commands to stop Windows Update Services and then hit Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
3. Next, type the following command to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then hit Enter:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
4. Finally, type the following command to start Windows Update Services and hit Enter after each one:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
5. Reboot your PC to save changes and check if you can fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x800705b4.
Method 3: Restart Windows Update Service
1. Press Windows Key + R then type services.msc and hit Enter.
2. Find Windows Update service in this list (press W to find the service easily).
3. Now right-click on Windows Update service and select Restart.
Try to perform Windows Update again and see if you’re able to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x800705b4.
Method 4: Change Windows Updating Settings
- Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Update & Security.
2. From the left-hand menu, select Windows Update.
3. Now under Update Settings in the right window pane click on Advanced options.
4. Uncheck the option “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.”
5. Restart your Windows and again check for updates.
6. You may have to run Windows Update more than once to complete the update process successfully.
7. Now as soon as you get the message “Your device is up to date“, again go back to Settings then click Advanced options and checkmark “Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows.”
8. Again check for Windows Update and you may be able to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x800705b4.
Method 5: Run .BAT File to Re-register DLL files
1. Open Notepad file then copy & paste the following code as it is:
net stop cryptsvc net stop wuauserv ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old regsvr32 comcat.dll /s Regsvr32 Msxml.dll /s Regsvr32 Msxml2.dll /s proxycfg -u Regsvr32 Msxml3.dll /s regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /s regsvr32 cdm.dll /s regsvr32 softpub.dll /s regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 initpki.dll /s regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s regsvr32 mssip32.dll /s regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s regsvr32 wucltui.dll /s regsvr32 shdoc401.dll /i /s regsvr32 dssenh.dll /s regsvr32 rsaenh.dll /s regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll /s regsvr32 sccbase.dll /s regsvr32 slbcsp.dll /s regsvr32 asctrls.ocx /s regsvr32 wintrust.dll /s regsvr32 initpki.dll /s regsvr32 softpub.dll /s regsvr32 oleaut32.dll /s regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /I /s regsvr32 shdocvw.dll /s regsvr32 browseui.dll /s regsvr32 browseui.dll /I /s regsvr32 msrating.dll /s regsvr32 mlang.dll /s regsvr32 hlink.dll /s regsvr32 mshtmled.dll /s regsvr32 urlmon.dll /s regsvr32 plugin.ocx /s regsvr32 sendmail.dll /s regsvr32 scrobj.dll /s regsvr32 mmefxe.ocx /s regsvr32 corpol.dll /s regsvr32 jscript.dll /s regsvr32 msxml.dll /s regsvr32 imgutil.dll /s regsvr32 thumbvw.dll /s regsvr32 cryptext.dll /s regsvr32 rsabase.dll /s regsvr32 inseng.dll /s regsvr32 iesetup.dll /i /s regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll /s regsvr32 actxprxy.dll /s regsvr32 dispex.dll /s regsvr32 occache.dll /s regsvr32 occache.dll /i /s regsvr32 iepeers.dll /s regsvr32 urlmon.dll /i /s regsvr32 cdfview.dll /s regsvr32 webcheck.dll /s regsvr32 mobsync.dll /s regsvr32 pngfilt.dll /s regsvr32 licmgr10.dll /s regsvr32 icmfilter.dll /s regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx /s regsvr32 inetcfg.dll /s regsvr32 tdc.ocx /s regsvr32 MSR2C.DLL /s regsvr32 msident.dll /s regsvr32 msieftp.dll /s regsvr32 xmsconf.ocx /s regsvr32 ils.dll /s regsvr32 msoeacct.dll /s regsvr32 inetcomm.dll /s regsvr32 msdxm.ocx /s regsvr32 dxmasf.dll /s regsvr32 l3codecx.ax /s regsvr32 acelpdec.ax /s regsvr32 mpg4ds32.ax /s regsvr32 voxmsdec.ax /s regsvr32 danim.dll /s regsvr32 Daxctle.ocx /s regsvr32 lmrt.dll /s regsvr32 datime.dll /s regsvr32 dxtrans.dll /s regsvr32 dxtmsft.dll /s regsvr32 WEBPOST.DLL /s regsvr32 WPWIZDLL.DLL /s regsvr32 POSTWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 CRSWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 FTPWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 FPWPP.DLL /s regsvr32 WUAPI.DLL /s regsvr32 wups2.dll /S regsvr32 WUAUENG.DLL /s regsvr32 ATL.DLL /s regsvr32 WUCLTUI.DLL /s regsvr32 WUPS.DLL /s regsvr32 WUWEB.DLL /s regsvr32 wshom.ocx /s regsvr32 wshext.dll /s regsvr32 vbscript.dll /s regsvr32 scrrun.dll mstinit.exe /setup /s regsvr32 msnsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s regsvr32 msapsspc.dll /SspcCreateSspiReg /s proxycfg –d sc sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;; ;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU) regsvr32 mshtml.dll /s net start cryptsvc net start wuauserv
2. Now click on File then select Save As.
3. From Save as type drop-down select “All Files” and navigate where you want to save the file.
4. Name the file as fix_update.bat (.bat extension is very important) and then click Save.
5. Right-click on the fix_update.bat file and select Run as Administrator.
6. This will restore and register your DLL files fixing the Windows 10 Update Error 0x800705b4.
Method 6: Temporarily Disable Antivirus and Firewall
Sometimes the Antivirus program can cause an error, and to verify this is not the case here, you need to disable your antivirus for a limited time so that you can check if the error still appears when the antivirus is off.
1. Right-click on the Antivirus Program icon from the system tray and select Disable.
2. Next, select the time frame for which the Antivirus will remain disabled.
Note: Choose the smallest amount of time possible, for example, 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
3. Once done, again try to connect to open Google Chrome and check if the error resolves or not.
4. Search for the control panel from the Start Menu search bar and click on it to open the Control Panel.
5. Next, click on System and Security then click on Windows Firewall.
6. Now from the left window pane click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
7. Select Turn off Windows Firewall and restart your PC.
Again try to open Google Chrome and visit the web page, which was earlier showing the error. If the above method doesn’t work, please follow the same steps to turn on your Firewall again.
Method 7: Run SFC and DISM
1. Open Command Prompt. The user can perform this step by searching for ‘cmd’ and then press Enter.
2. Now type the following in the cmd and hit enter:
Sfc /scannow sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
3. Wait for the above process to finish and once done, restart your PC.
4. Open Command Prompt and perform this step by searching for ‘cmd’ and then press Enter.
5. Now type the following in the cmd and hit enter after each one:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
6. Let the DISM command run and wait for it to finish.
7. If the above command doesn’t work, then try on the below:
Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess
Note: Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows with your repair source (Windows Installation or Recovery Disc).
8. Reboot your PC to save changes.
If you’re still not able to fix Windows Update Error 0x800705b4 then you need to found the update which Windows is unable to download, then head over to Microsoft (update catalog) website and manually download the update. Then make sure to install the above update and reboot your PC to save changes.
Method 8: Repair Install Windows 10
This method is the last resort because if nothing works out, then, this method will surely repair all problems with your PC. Repair Install uses an in-place upgrade to repair issues with the system without deleting user data present on the system. So follow this article to see How to Repair Install Windows 10 Easily.
- Fix Ntoskrnl.exe BSOD Blue Screen error
- Split Your Laptop Screen in Half in Windows 10
- Fix Widevine Content Decryption Module Error
- Fix WiFi Network Not Showing Up on Windows 10
That’s it you have successfully Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x800705b4 but if you still have any queries regarding this post then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.