Is the spacebar not working on your Windows 11 PC? So, it can be annoying when such a basic function for your computer doesn’t work. But don’t fret, we’ve got you covered! In this guide, we’ll answer your query about why isn’t my spacebar working and provide effective solutions to fix the problem.
How to Fix Spacebar Not Working Issue in Windows 11
Wondering why isn’t my spacebar working. This issue may occur due to a hardware as well as a software error. If you are unable to use this key on your keyboard, then do not get upset. Read the article to know how to fix the spacebar not working issue on Windows 11.
Try running Keyboard troubleshooter in Windows 11 PC. Here are the steps to do so:
1. Launch the Windows Settings.
2. Go to System > Troubleshoot setting.
3. Select the Other troubleshooters option.
4. Finally, click on Run button next to Keyboard troubleshooter.
Reasons behind Space Bar Not Working
- Damaged key
- Outdated keyboard drivers
- Bugs in the last Windows or keyboard drivers update
- Enabled Sticky or Filter keys
- Corrupt system files
- Outdated keyboard standard
Now that you know why isn’t the spacebar key working on your computer, let us list down some methods that can help in fixing the error.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Before we initiate any of the complex methods to solve the spacebar not working on Windows 11 issue, let us run through some simple and basic methods of troubleshooting. These methods can help us assess the reason behind the error better and might also fix it as well.
1A. Assure keyboard Functionality with Another PC
If you are using an external keyboard, before we perform any other method to fix the error, it is imperative to first assure that the keyboard and the space bar are in working condition. Most of the time it might not be an internal issue, but the keyboard completely or a part of it gets damaged. Connect the keyboard to a different device and check if the space bar is functional. If it is not, move on to the next method.
1B. Close Background Apps
Sometimes, some specific apps or programs interfere with the keyboard or space bar working. If there is any recent app that you launched prior to the issue, we advise you to close the app and test if the space bar now functions. If that is the case, it is also advisable to uninstall the problematic app to avoid malfunction in the future.
1C. Assure Text Input Management Service
Text Input Management Service enables text input in a device. It is crucial to ensure that this service is running.
1. Press the Windows key, type Services and hit the Enter key.
2. In the Services (Local) section, navigate to Text Input Management Service and right-click on it.
3. From the menu, select Properties.
4. Check if the Service status shows Running as shown in the image below.
5. If the Service status is not running, click on Start under it.
6. Click on Apply and OK.
Also Read: Windows 11 Keyboard Shortcuts
1D. Restart PC
Restarting the device often resolves the majority of issues caused by minor glitches. It gives the hardware, drivers, and all the programs a chance to boot up again. So, try restarting the PC.
1E. Update Windows OS
Updating the Windows operating system fixes any form of bug or corrupted software and resolves such minor issues in no time and with minimal efforts. If the OS is not updated, we advise you to update it first.
To update the Windows 11 OS on the PC, follow our guide on How to Download and Install Windows 11 Updates.
Method 2: Run Keyboard Troubleshooter
The keyboard troubleshooter runs a check through the keyboard settings to ensure if there is no error and sets it to default form to fix if the keyboard becomes unresponsive. Running it might fix spacebar not working in Windows 11 issue.
1. Press Windows + I keys together on the keyboard to launch Settings on the PC.
2. Click on System on the left pane and select the Troubleshoot option on the right pane.
3. Now, choose the Other troubleshooters option.
4. Scroll down to Keyboard and click on the Run button next to it.
5. Wait for sometime until the troubleshooting process concludes. Any issues detected with the keyboard will be prompted. After successful troubleshooting and fixing the issue as alerted, restart the PC.
Method 3: Disable Sticky Keys
Sticky Keys is an accessibility feature on Windows that allows a user to activate multiple keys at once while pressing them all at one time. That means, it lets users press a modifier key – Shift, Ctrl, and Alt keys and then press another key to carry the input and perform a command.
1. Launch the Windows Settings on the PC.
2. From the right-pane, select Accessibility setting.
3. Click on the Keyboard settings in the left pane.
4. Turn off the toggle next to Sticky keys.
5. Now click on the Sticky keys option and turn off the following from the toggle:
- Keyboard shortcut for Sticky keys
- Show the Sticky keys icon on the taskbar
- Lock shortcut keys when pressed twice in a row
- Turn off Sticky keys when two keys are pressed at the same time
6. Restart the PC.
Method 4: Disable Filter Keys
Filter keys is another accessibility feature on Windows that enables a user to type faster while ensuring that the brief or repeated keystrokes are ignored by the keyboard. To disable filter keys, follow these steps:
1. Open Settings on the PC and go to Accessibility > Keyboard setting.
3. Toggle off the Filter keys option.
4. Click on the Filter keys option now and disable Keyboard shortcut for Filter keys.
5. Restart the PC and check if the spacebar not working in Windows 11 issue is resolved.
Method 5: Update Device Drivers
Outdated drivers often tend to cause the hardware devices to become dysfunctional. As Windows continues to release driver updates for all the peripherals, it is crucial to keep them updated. To update the driver:
1. Hit the Windows key, type Device Manager and press the Enter key.
2. Click and expand the Keyboards option.
3. Right-click to choose your keyboard driver (e.g. HID Keyboard Device).
4. Now, select Update driver option.
5. Click on Search automatically for drivers and let Windows search for any driver update available.
6. After the process completes and the best keyboard driver is installed, close the Device Manager and verify if it fixed the issue for you.
Method 6: Roll Back Driver Updates
Roll Back driver is the option that comes in handy if the issue you are currently facing was triggered after you updated the driver last time. That states if the space bar was properly functional before updating the driver and now it has stopped, then there might be compatibility issues due to which spacebar not working on Windows 11 PC. It uninstalls the update and restores the driver to the previous version.
1. Navigate to Device Manager > Keyboards option.
2. Choose and double-click on the keyboard driver of the device.
3. Move to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
4. Press OK and Restart the device. Check if restoring the previous version of the driver fixed the error.
Note: In case the option to Roll Back Driver is inaccessible on the device like it is in our case, you would have to download the previous version of the keyboard driver directly from the manufacturer’s official website.
Method 7: Reinstall Drivers
You might wonder the existence of this method if we already updated or rolled back the driver update once. Okay, let us explain in a brief statement that reinstalling the driver allows the files to reoptimize themselves as well as install again from the scratch. It has often resolved many minor errors at both hardware and software levels.
1. Open Device Manager, click and expand Keyboards.
2. Choose the keyboard configuration installed on the PC and right-click on it.
3. Select the Uninstall device option.
4. After the uninstallation, Restart the PC and let Windows install the drivers freshly from its server.
Method 8: Install Keyboard Driver in Compatibility Mode
If fresh installation of drivers in the previous method did not resolve the issue, then we can give a try by installing the keyboard driver in compatibility mode.
Note: To perform this method, follow the steps mentioned in Method 6 and uninstall keyboard drivers first, and then download the keyboard drivers directly from the manufacture’s website.
1. After downloading the keyboard driver’s, right-click on the keyboard driver’s setup file and select Properties from the context menu.
2. Tab to Compatibility and tick the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for: and select Windows 7 from the list of operating systems. Click on OK to save.
3. Now, exit out and right-click on the driver setup file again. Select Run as administrator.
4. Now follow the on-screen instructions and install the keyboard driver. Check if the error is fixed.
Method 9: Uninstall Latest Windows Updates
If you recently updated the Windows operating system on the device and prior to that are facing the issue, then there might be chances that the update is causing conflicts and issues due to any potential bug. In such cases, we can uninstall the update and revert to the previous one.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel and click on Open.
2. Click on Programs.
3. Click on Programs and Features.
4. On the left-hand side, click on View installed updates.
5. Click on the Uninstall option next to the last update or any other update that you believe has triggered the issue.
5. Click on Uninstall again to confirm if it fixed spacebar not working in Windows 11 PC.
Method 10: Repair System Files
System File Checker (SFC) scan is a command-based scanning built-in utility that inspects files on a Windows device and allows users to scan and check for corruption of system-protected files and repair them. If the issue is caused due to discrepancy in system files, running SFC scan will fix it.
1. Press the Windows key, search for Command Prompt, then click on Run as administrator.
3. Type the following command in the terminal: sfc /scannow.
4. Wait until the process is completed and then reboot the PC.
Also Read: How to Type Backwards on Keyboard
Method 11: Enable Human Interface Device Service
To educate our readers, Human Interface Device (HID) is a USB protocol, a device standard that simplifies the process of installation of peripheral computer hardware devices operated by humans. This enables these computer devices to be used easily without the need of any extra driver or software.
1. Press the Windows + R keys simultaneously to launch the Run dialog box.
2. Type services.msc and press Enter key to open Services window.
3. Navigate to Human Interface Devices Service from the list and double-click on it.
4. The Service status should be Running and the Startup type should be set to Manual. Make the changes if necessary.
5. Click on Apply and OK.
This should resolve the error of spacebar not working on Windows 11.
Method 12: Reset BIOS to Default
A corrupt BIOS invades proper booting of the PC. This results in malfunctioning of hardware components. We need to reset BIOS to default.
Note: You need to ensure the BIOS key from the manufacturer. The Function key to enter the system’s BIOS may not be the same for all. The most common ones are F1, F2, F10, F11, F12, Esc, or Delete. Verify the PC’s BIOS key from the official website for the model. You can also search for the BIOS key for the brand and model on any browser. For our HP Envy X360 PC, the BIOS key is F10.
1. Turn off the PC first and then Turn it on and instantly press the BIOS key (e.g F10 key) to enter the BIOS setup.
2. Move to the Exit tab using the arrow keys.
3. Now navigate to Load Setup Defaults and press Enter key.
4. Confirm and let the PC to restart.
Method 13: Reset PC
Resetting the PC allows users to reinstall Windows without affecting any personal or downloaded files.
1. Launch Settings on the PC.
2. In the System settings, navigate and click on Recovery.
3. Click on the Reset PC option next to Reset this PC.
In the new window, you will find two options: Keep my files and Remove everything.
- Keep my files: It keeps all the personal and downloaded files safe and untouched. Only the installed system apps get uninstalled and the settings reset to the default state.
- Remove everything: As suggestive of its name, remove everything deletes all the images, videos, files, and so forth from the device as well as uninstall the apps. The settings will be back to the factory version.
4. Click on Keep my files in the new window.
Now you would need to choose a source between Cloud download and Local reinstall. Cloud download downloads and reinstall Windows from the cloud itself, i.e., the servers.
Note: You need a proper internet connection with enough data (more than 4 GB) to continue further.
5. Click on Cloud download.
6. You should ignore the Change settings option as ultimately it will reset to the default setting. So, click on Next.
7. Read the impacts of resetting under Ready to reset this PC and if you are satisfied, click on Next. Wait for the resetting process to take place.
Note: The PC might restart multiple times while resetting continues. Do not worry in this case and let the device perform the task assigned. Once a proper reset is done, check if the query of why isn’t my spacebar working is now resolved.
We conclude the article here. We hope that with the help of this guide you were able to learn how to fix spacebar not working on Windows 11. If you have any queries, or suggestions, then feel free to drop them in the comments section below.