Microsoft brings out several updates to fix bugs and problems in your Windows 10 PC. But, these updates may bring some conflicts affecting the normal function of your computer. For example, after the Windows 10 KB4023057 update was released, several users complained that their PCs have gone very slow and after analyzing, they found that Sedlauncher.exe program has occupied much of its disk space. Working in a dead slow system due to Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage is a frustrating issue and must be sorted out as quickly as possible. In this article, we bring some information content on REMPL Sedlauncher processes with troubleshooting methods to fix Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 high disk usage issue. Let’s read on!
- How to Fix Sedlauncher.exe High Disk Usage in Windows 10
- Should I Disable Sedlauncher.exe in Windows 10?
- Basic Troubleshooting Methods
- Method 1: Close Sedlauncher.exe
- Method 2: Disable Sedlauncher.exe Service
- Method 3: Block Sedlauncher.exe in Firewall
- Method 4: Update Windows
- Method 5: Remove or Rename REMPL Folder
- Method 6: Delete REMPL via Task Scheduler
- Method 7: Uninstall Windows Setup Remediations
- Method 8: Uninstall Recent Updates
- Method 9: Reinstall Recently Installed Apps
- Method 10: Perform System Restore
- Method 11: Reset PC
How to Fix Sedlauncher.exe High Disk Usage in Windows 10
The Windows 10 patch update KB4023057 was released to improvise the reliability and user experience of Windows 10 computers and Update Service Components. This update patch is supported by several versions of Windows 10 as listed below:
- Version 1507
- Version 1511
- Version 1607
- Version 1703
- Version 1709
- Version 1803.
The interesting advantage is that Windows 10 patch update KB4023057 helps you free up disk space if your computer struggles to update any new Windows Updates. To implement all these tasks, Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 file is there to assist you to go through the process without any errors and problems. This sedlauncher.exe program is located in the C:\Program Files path within the REMPL folder on your computer.
The Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 program is similar to other Windows update programs like sedsvc.exe, rempl.exe, Sedplugins.dll, Luadgmgt.dll. The Sedlauncher.exe program is included as a part of the Windows Remediation Service to protect and speed up the update processes. The Windows Remediation Service is responsible for Windows servicing stack update processes like fixing any corrupt updates, ensuring your PC is awake for update processes, freeing up your disk space to install new updates and a lot more. Still, it may cause some other problems like REMPL Sedlauncher high disk usage and lot more troubles.
Should I Disable Sedlauncher.exe in Windows 10?
Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 is digitally verified by Microsoft and it is not at all a virus. The answer to the question will depend on the users’ requirements. If you definitely want to install the real new security patches on your computer in addition to some associated features, you might not disable this REMPL Sedlauncher program. Whereas, in the other case, if you do not care about these security patch updates and new features, you can disable it from your Windows 10 computer to fix Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue.
However, if you do not find Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 program file in either of these locations; C:\Windows or C: \Windows\System32 folder, there are few possibilities of malware attacks. To remove these suspicious files from your computer, you are advised to perform a full system scan as instructed in our guide How do I Run a Virus Scan on my Computer?
Also, if you want to remove malware from your computer, check our guide How to Remove Malware from your PC in Windows 10.
Once you have confirmed that there are no harmful programs or files on your computer, you are now ready to troubleshoot Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue. Here we go!
There are several reports over the internet saying that the SedLauncher or SedSvc.exe service causes high disk and RAM usage in Windows 10 computers. Sometimes, this issue might take place on your computer if the launcher is downloading/installing a large feature update file. On the other hand, the same issue might take place if there are any troubles during the mentioned process. Nevertheless, you can fix this problem by following the below-mentioned troubleshooting methods. Follow as instructed to get rid of the problem.
Also Read: How to Fix High CPU Usage on Windows 10
Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Before disabling the launcher, you are advised to follow some simple hacks that will smoothen the troubleshooting process.
1. Restart PC
If there are any temporary glitches in your PC, you will face Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issues. The general trick to resolve all the temporary glitches is to restart your computer. You can restart your PC by following the steps.
1. Press the Windows + D keys together to go to the Desktop.
2. Now, press the Alt + F4 keys simultaneously.
3. Then, select the Restart option from the drop-down menu and hit Enter key.
2. Close Background Tasks
Several users have confirmed that Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue can be resolved by closing all the background tasks running on your PC. To implement the task, follow our guide How to End Task in Windows 10 and proceed as instructed.
3. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If there are any corrupt Windows update components on your PC, you may face several conflicts like REMPL Sedlauncher high disk usage issue. To fix buggy update components in your computer, use Windows 10 built-in tool. Running Windows Update built-in troubleshooter tool will fix network connectivity issues, corrupt Windows Update components, and invalid registry keys in your computer that are contributing to the discussed issue. Follow the steps instructed in our guide on How to Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
Perform as demonstrated and thereby resolve the problems identified by the troubleshooter.
3. Update Device Drivers
Device drivers establish a connecting link between the hardware and Operating System of your computer. Also, faulty or corrupt drivers lead to high disk usage issues. Many users have reported that updating the drivers has helped them fix the issue. You are also advised to update the drivers to improve the reliability of your adapters, fix compatibility issues, and resolve the discussed issue. Follow our guide on How to Update Network Adapter Drivers on Windows 10 to do so. Likewise, install the latest updates for all the drivers available on your PC.
So, your computer is now ready to fix the Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 issue. Follow the below-discussed methods to deal with the same.
Method 1: Close Sedlauncher.exe
This is a simple workaround that will help you fix Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue easily. This method involves ending the process of the launcher through the Task Manager and it is instructed as below.
1. Hit the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together to open Task Manager.
2. Now, scroll down and search for Windows Remediation Service. Then, right-click on this service and select End task as depicted below.
Method 2: Disable Sedlauncher.exe Service
You can also fix Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue in your Windows 10 computer by disabling Sedlauncher.exe in Windows Services. Turning off this service in the PC management tool will involve the following steps.
1. Type Services in the search menu and click on Run as administrator.
2. Now, scroll down and right-click on the Windows Remediation Service. Then, select Properties as shown.
Note: You can also double-click on Windows Remediation Service to open the Properties window.
3. Now, in the new pop up window, change the Startup type to Disabled, as depicted.
4. Then, if the Service status is Running, click on Stop.
5. Click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Also Read: Fix Ntoskrnl.exe High CPU Usage
Method 3: Block Sedlauncher.exe in Firewall
Even though the KB4023057 update plays an important role in maintaining the security of your computer, to fix all the problems associated with it, you are advised to remove/block the service from your Firewall or security suites. Either you can block this program through any third-party antivirus programs or through your inbuilt Windows Defender Firewall as instructed below.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security. Then, click on Open.
2. Now, in the left pane, click on Inbound Rules as depicted.
3. Then, in the right pane, click on New rule… as shown.
4. Now, make sure you select the Program option under What type of rule would you like to create? menu and click on Next> as shown.
5. Then, click on the Browse… button corresponding to This program path: as shown.
6. Then, navigate to the C:\Program Files\rempl path and double-click on sedsvc.exe file. Then, click on the Open button.
7. Then, click on Next > in the New Inbound Rule Wizard window as shown.
8. Now, select the radio button next to Block the connection and click on Next > as depicted.
9. Make sure Domain, Private, Public boxes are selected and click on Next > as shown.
10. Finally, add a name to your new rule and click on Finish.
All done! Check if Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue is fixed or not.
Note: There are a few other processes in your Windows 10 computer that will consume your CPU space and disk resources. They are listed below.
You can also block these processes (found in C:\Program Files\rempl\folder) by repeating the steps as instructed in this method.
Method 4: Update Windows
Once you have updated Windows 10 KB4023057, still there are furthermore updates pending in action, and you might face Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue. Updating your computer to newer versions might help you fix any buggy patches contributing to the problem. Hence, ensure if you have updated your Windows Operating System and if any updates are pending in action, use our guide How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update
Method 5: Remove or Rename REMPL Folder
The REMPL folder is created during Windows update processes and it is solely responsible to make the update process smoother and fine. This folder contains several other subfolders and executables such as disktoast.exe, rempl.exe, remsh.exe, WaaSMedic.exe, Sedlauncher.exe, Sedsvc.exe, osrrsb, in addition to some other Logs folders. Removing this folder does not harm your computer in any way and you can remove the same to fix Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue. But, before removing this folder, try to rename it and check if it fixes the problem.
1. Press and hold Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer.
2. Then, navigate to the C:\Program Files path.
3. Now, right-click on rempl folder and select the Rename option. Rename the folder to something else like rempl. old.
4. Then, check if you can fix Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 issue. If you cannot fix the same, then, click on the Delete option as depicted.
5. Finally, reboot the PC.
Method 6: Delete REMPL via Task Scheduler
Windows Task Scheduler schedules and maintains your update processes and if there is no fix for Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue even after renaming/removing rempl folder via File Explorer, then you can delete the same via Task Scheduler as instructed below.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Task Scheduler, then click on Run as administrator.
2. Then, double-click on Task Scheduler Library as depicted.
3. Then, double-click on Microsoft to expand it and double-click on Windows as shown.
4. Again, click on the rempl folder and in the right pane, click on Delete Folder option as shown.
Note: Here, the Registry folder is taken as an example. Follow the same for rempl folder.
5. Confirm any prompt and check if you have fixed REMPL Sedlauncher high disk usage issue.
Method 7: Uninstall Windows Setup Remediations
If you are still dealing with Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 high disk usage problem, you can remove the installed files like Windows Setup Remediations (x64) (KB4023057) or Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057) from your system and check if this works for you. Here are a few instructions regarding the same.
1. Press the Windows key, type apps and features, and click on Open.
2. Now, search for the following.
- Windows Setup Remediations (x64) (KB4023057)
- Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)
3. Once you have found either of these files, click on Uninstall and confirm the prompt if any.
Note: An example reference to uninstall Windows KB update file is demonstrated below.
4. Once you have uninstalled the listed file, restart the PC.
Method 8: Uninstall Recent Updates
If you face REMPL Sedlauncher high disk usage problem after updating Windows OS, your system program files and configurations might be incompatible with the new update and, in this case, uninstall recent updates on your PC. You will also get the stability of your PC after uninstalling a faulty update. Here is how to do it.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel and click on Open.
2. Set View by > Category, then click on Uninstall a program under the Programs menu as shown.
3. Now, click on View installed updates in the left pane as shown here.
4. Now, select the most recent update and click on Uninstall option as shown below.
5. Then, confirm the prompt, if any, and reboot your PC.
Check if you have fixed Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 high disk usage problem.
Also Read: Fix WSAPPX High Disk Usage in Windows 10
Method 9: Reinstall Recently Installed Apps
In several cases, the most recent application that you have installed on your computer might interfere with the REMPL Sedlauncher processes. So, in this case, consider reinstalling the software or application.
Note: In this guide, steps to reinstall Zoom are demonstrated. Follow the steps according to your software.
1. Press and hold Windows + I keys together to open Windows Settings.
2. Now, click on Apps.
3. Now, search and click on Zoom and select Uninstall option.
4. Now, confirm the prompt if any, and reboot your PC once you have uninstalled Zoom.
5. Visit the official Zoom download page and click on the Download button as depicted.
6. Now, navigate to My downloads and double-click on the Zoom setup file to launch it.
7. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation on your PC.
8. Finally, you have reinstalled Zoom on your computer. Now check if you can fix Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue.
Method 10: Perform System Restore
There are many circumstances where the latest Windows update has broken the wireless mechanism of your computer. If the current version of your Windows 10 PC interferes with the existing architecture of network configurations, you will face the discussed problem. System Restore will bring back the computer to the version where it was working without any errors. To do so, follow our guide on How to use System Restore on Windows 10 and implement the instructions as demonstrated.
Also Read: Fix keyboard Input lag in Windows 10
Method 11: Reset PC
If none of the methods has helped you fix REMPL Sedlauncher high disk usage issue, then you have to clean install your Windows Operating System. To clean boot your computer, implement the steps as instructed in our guide How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10
- Fix Vizio Remote Not Working
- Fix Stuck on Diagnosing your PC in Windows 10
- Fix ETD Control Center High CPU Usage in Windows 10
- Fix SoftThinks Agent Service High CPU Usage in Windows 10
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage in Windows 10. Let us know which topic you want us to explore next. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.