If you face error code 31 for Network Adapter or Ethernet Controller in Devie Manager, then this means the drivers have become incompatible or corrupted because of which this error occurs. When you face error code 31 it accompanies an error message saying “Device not working properly” which you won’t be able to access the device, in short, you won’t be able to access the Internet. The full error message which users face is as follows:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31)
You will come to see this once your WiFi will stop working, as the device drivers have somehow become corrupt or incompatible. Anyway, without wasting any more time let’s see how to actually Fix Network Adapter Error Code 31 in Device Manager with the help of below-listed troubleshooting guide.
Table of Contents
Fix Network Adapter Error Code 31 in Device Manager
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Download the latest Network Adapter Drivers from the manufacturer’s website
You could easily download the latest drivers from your PC manufacturers website or the Network Adapter manufacturer website. In any case, you would easily get the latest driver, once downloaded, install the drivers and then reboot your PC to save changes. This should fix the error code 31 altogether, and you could easily access the Internet.
Method 2: Install Proper Drivers for Network Adapter
1. Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
2. Expand Network Adapter and right-click on your Wireless Network Adapter and select Properties.
3. Switch to Details tab and from the Property drop-down select Hardware ID.
4. Now from the value box right-click and copy the last value which would look something like this: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0887&CC_0280
5. Once you have the hardware id, make sure to google search the exact value “PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0887&CC_0280” to download the correct drivers.
6. Download the correct drivers and install them.
7. Reboot your PC and see if you’re able to Fix Network Adapter Error Code 31 in Device Manager.
Method 3: Uninstall Drivers for Network Adapter
Make sure to backup registry before continuing.
1. Press Windows Key + R then type regedit and hit Enter to open Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
3. Make sure you have highlighted Network in the left window pane and then from the right window find Config.
4. Then right-click on Config and select Delete.
5. Close the Registry Editor and then press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
6. Expand Network Adapter and then right-click on your Wireless Network Adapter and select Uninstall.
7. If it asks for confirmation, select Yes.
8. Reboot your PC to save changes, and once the PC restarts the Windows will automatically install the driver.
9. If the drivers are not installed, you need to go to the manufacturer’s website and download them.
- Fix BackgroundContainer.dll error on Startup
- Fix Windows Cannot Connect to the Printer
- How To Fix Windows Update Error 0x800706d9
- Fix Some Update Files aren’t signed correctly
That’s it you have successfully Fix Network Adapter Error Code 31 in Device Manager but if you still have any questions regarding this post feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.