While Minecraft works perfectly fine without a glitch, there are times when players might experience the Failed to Download File, the File Contents Differ error. The error occurs when the launcher is unable to download a file or if the downloaded file doesn’t match the expected file size or hash. If you have come across the same issue, don’t worry, we’ve got you covered with some quick fixes to get you back in the game.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Failed to Download File, the File Contents Differ Error in Minecraft
Just like any other problem, there can be various reasons for the said error. It might be due to an outdated launcher, incompatible mods, or firewall settings. Don’t worry, though! We have some troubleshooting fixes to help you resolve this issue easily. Keep reading to find out how!
Remove Corrupt Mods and fix the said error in Minecraft with these steps:
1. In the Run box, enter %appdata%.
2. Double-click on the Mods folder, move all mods to another folder.
3. Now, delete the mods from the Mods folder and check if the Minecraft Launcher is working fine.
Method 1. Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Let us try some basic fixes to resolve the error before moving on to the advanced ones.
1A. Troubleshoot Internet connection
You can check your internet connection and turn it on again. Set up the connection between your internet and the device and then check if whether the issue is resolved or not. You can also read out our clear guide to Troubleshoot internet connectivity.
1B. Wait for Server uptime
Check the server status of Minecraft and if the server is down wait for some time. And then again try downloading the file once the server issue is resolved. You can check your server with a Downdetector.
Method 2: Open Vanilla Launcher
If the failed to download file, the contents differ error in Minecraft is occurring due to a glitch in the mod, then opening Minecraft via the Vanilla launcher may solve the issue. Here is how you can do it.
1. Close the non-Vanilla launcher completely on your device.
2. Open the Vanilla launcher for Minecraft and click Play.
3. Run it until the Create Game Screen shows up. Close the Vanilla launcher now.
Finally, open your usual launcher and check whether the download issue is resolved.
Also Read: How to Find a Stronghold in Minecraft
Method 3: Change File Path with .JAR Extension
For opening .Jar files, JAVA or JDK should be set as the default application else the files will not parse correctly, causing incompatibility. For this, use the steps given below:
1. Right-click on the Windows icon and choose Run.
2. Now, enter %appdata%\.minecraft\assets\indexes\ and press the Enter key.
3. You’ll find a file .Jar or .Java extension. Right-click on this file and select Properties.
4. Click on the Change button in front of Open With. Select Java or OpenJDK Platform Binary.
After applying and saving the changes open the launcher and check if the download file issue is resolved.
Method 4: Download File Manually and Place it in Minecraft Directory
You can try to download the file manually. But before moving forward make sure that you copy the error message and URL in a text document and then exit the Minecraft Launcher. To fix the failed to download file, the contents differ error in Minecraft, follow these steps:
1. Open the web browser, and paste the URL given below in the search bar.
2. Download the file on your device and then copy it.
3. Now right-click on the Windows icon and choose File Explorer.
4. Navigate to the following address given in the error message.
5. Delete the file and afterward paste the copied file.
6. Open the Minecraft launcher and check if the issue is resolved.
7. If this doesn’t work you can unzip the downloaded file and place it in the path mentioned in step 4. Now, check if the issue is resolved or not.
Also Read: How to Play Minecraft with Friends on iPad
Method 5: Remove Corrupt Mod
The removal of the corrupt Minecraft Mod may resolve the failed to download file, the contents differ error in Minecraft instantly. Before moving ahead make sure that you close the Minecraft Launcher completely on your device. Follow the steps given below.
1. Right-click on the Windows icon and choose Run.
2. Enter %appdata% and press the Enter key.
3. Minecraft directory will open up. Here double-click on the Mods folder.
4. Copy all the mods from this folder and paste them to another location. Delete the mods from the Mods folder.
5. Now, open the Minecraft Launcher to see if it is working fine.
6. If it is working fine then exit from the launcher and close it completely.
7. Copy and paste one of the mods to the Mods folder. Open the Minecraft launcher again to see if it’s working properly or not.
Copy the mods one by one back to the Mods folder till you find the error-causing mod. Update this mod or contact the mod developer so that they can fix the issue.
Method 6: Use VPN
The regional Minecraft server glitch can be the reason for the download file issue. VPN can be used to connect to different servers that can solve this error. Make sure that you completely close the launcher before using VPN. Read out our guide on how to set up VPN.
Method 7. Disable Antivirus Temporarily (If Applicable)
You can try disabling the Antivirus but move forward at your own risk because this might expose your PC to more threats. To do so read out our guide on How to disable antivirus temporarily.
Method 8: Reinstall Minecraft Launcher
The failed to download file, the contents differ error in Minecraft could be the result of the corrupt installation of Minecraft Launcher and therefore reinstalling it may solve the problem. Follow the steps given below
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Windows Settings.
2. Now, click on Apps.
3. Now, search and click on Minecraft Launcher and select Uninstall option.
4. Now, confirm the prompt if any, and reboot your PC once you have uninstalled Minecraft.
5. Visit the Minecraft Launcher official site and click on the DOWNLOAD FOR WINDOWS 10/11 button as depicted.
6. Now, navigate to My downloads and run the MinecraftInstaller setup file.
7. Click on Next in the Microsoft Launcher Setup window.
8. Then, click on the Next button after choosing the Destination Folder.
9. Finally, click on Install.
Also Read: How to Change Skin in Minecraft PC
Method 9: Contact Minecraft support
If the failed to Download file, the contents differ error in Minecraft persists even after applying all the above-mentioned fixes, then there is a great possibility that the issue originated from Minecraft itself. You can check the recent cases on the Minecraft bug reporting tool and then contact the support team.
Encountering the failed to download file, the file contents differ error in Minecraft can be frustrating but it can be resolved through simple steps. By checking your internet connection, clearing the cache, and re-downloading the file, you can quickly get back to enjoying your game without any interruptions. If you have more suggestions to share, please leave them down in the comments section.