Twitter Spaces is an exciting audio-based feature that can be seen within the app. It enables you to engage in live audio chat rooms for immediate interaction. However, if you prefer text-based interactions, you might want to disable this feature. Let’s explore the possibility of whether you can turn off Spaces notifications and remove this section from your Twitter app or not.
Can You Turn Off Twitter Spaces?
No, Twitter does not provide a built-in option to disable Twitter Spaces for free. By default, the Spaces tab appears in the navigation bar along with other tabs, such as Home, Explore, Notifications, and Messages.
However, there are two alternative solutions to do so:
- Disable Twitter Spaces notifications
- Remove the Twitter Spaces tab from the navigation bar using the Twitter Blue subscription
How to Disable Spaces Notifications on Twitter Mobile App?
Discover how to disable and stop seeing Spaces notifications on your Twitter mobile app and take back control of your notification settings. Follow these simple instructions to enhance your Twitter experience.
1. Open the Twitter app on your phone.
Note: Make sure you are logged into your Twitter account.
2. Tap on the Profile icon from the top-left corner of the screen.
3. Tap on Settings & Support.
4. Select Settings and privacy.
5. Tap on Notifications.
6. Choose the Push notifications option.
7. Select Preferences.
8. Deselect the checkbox for the Spaces option under Recommendations from Twitter section.
By following these steps, you will successfully disable Space notifications on the mobile app.
How to Permanently Get Rid of Twitter Spaces?
To permanently remove the Twitter Spaces tab from the app, you need to subscribe to Twitter Blue. This subscription lets you choose which navigation tabs appear in the navigation bar. Therefore, by deselecting the Spaces tab, you can prevent it from appearing in the navigation bar for good.
1. Launch the Twitter app on your phone to access your account.
2. Tap on the profile icon > Twitter Blue option.
3. Swipe down and tap on Custom Navigation.
4. Deselect the Spaces tab and tap on Save.
Why are Twitter Spaces Always at the Top of Your Feed?
You may see Twitter Spaces is always positioned at the top of your feed. But it serves a purposeful role in stimulating real-time engagement, fostering community, and delivering personalized experiences. Similar to Tweets, Spaces are public and accessible to all users, prompting their immediate display at the forefront of your home timeline.
What are the Disadvantages of Twitter Spaces?
While Twitter Spaces offers a unique way to engage in live audio conversations, there are certain drawbacks that users should be aware of. Let’s explore some of these drawbacks:
- Minimum Followers’ Requirement: One significant disadvantage of Twitter Spaces is that you need to have more than 600 followers to create your own space. While you can participate in existing discussions with fewer followers, hosting space is restricted to accounts with a certain level of following.
- Recording Option Unavailable: Currently, there is no built-in mechanism to record Spaces conversations. While participants can record locally on their devices, the lack of a rewind or playback feature within the Spaces itself can limit the accessibility of past conversations.
- Abuse and Harassment Risks: As with any online platform, Twitter Spaces is not immune to abuse and harassment. While Twitter provides moderation tools to address these issues, ensuring a safe and inclusive environment can still pose challenges.
- External Recording Leaks: Although direct access to recordings within Spaces is unavailable, participants can make local recordings on their devices, which can be reposted or shared later, potentially leading to unauthorized dissemination of the audio content.
- Notification and Information Overload: With the increasing popularity of Spaces, the continuous flow of Spaces notifications and ongoing discussions can result in information overload. This can make it challenging for users to find other types of content, such as regular tweets or articles, within their Twitter feeds.
In this guide, we have answered your query if you can turn off Twitter Spaces. By understanding the customization and settings options on Twitter, you can tailor your app experience to better suit your needs and preferences. Share your thoughts in the comments and continue exploring our website for additional guides.