Any game addict would love to play the improved version of the game repeatedly. When we get reminded of some familiar game, we would be wanting to play the game again. However, when the major feature that has attracted us is missing, we would be having some nostalgic experiences. One such game is the Tomb Raider game series. So, if the game is developed as a series, imagine the hype it has received from the users! Playing Tomb Raider games in order PC can be a bit confusing and challenging. The compelling storyline and innovation in the character design are something that has compelled people to stay in the game. Without further ado, let us read about all Tomb Raider games in order.
All Tomb Raider PC Games in Order
Here, we have given the list of all All Tomb Raider PC Games in order.
Introduction to Tomb Raider Game Series
Tomb Raider game series is a well-celebrated and enjoyed series among avid players. With the evolving landscape in video game development, the game is loved by many people. The monumental generational leaps and numerous spin-offs in the game made it overwhelming. Many titles in this series that has been released for more than two decades and so far 17 main Tomb Raider games have been developed and sold.
Trilogy Series in All Tomb Raider Games in Order
The Tomb Raider games are divided into a few trilogy series games in each series as described.
- The Original Trilogy has Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider II, and Tomb Raider III game versions. The games are developed by Core Design and published by Eidos Interactive.
- The Second Trilogy of the game series has The Last Revelation, Chronicles, and the Angel of Darkness.
- Legend Timeline of the game series has the Legend version and is developed by Crystal Dynamics.
- Survivor Timeline Trilogy of the series has game versions from Tomb Raider (Reboot) 2013 edition. These versions are published by Square Enix to improve the graphics of the game.
1. Tomb Raider (1996)
The Tomb Raider was the first version of the game and was released on 25 October 1996. It was one of the best-selling video games on the original PlayStation and the best entry on Tomb Raider games in order PC until 2013.
- The game was the first game of the original trilogy of the game series and is a debut for the Sega Saturn.
- Even though the game had lower graphics compared to modern standards, the game was praised for its visuals. This can be attenuated with the 3D innovative format along with the grid-based level design.
- The titular character of the game is Lara Croft who is an archaeologist turned Tomb Raider. The main aim of the character is to search for the Scion, which is a lost artifact. For this purpose, she moves through Peru, Greece, Egypt, and the lost city of Atlantis. She can use the two classic pistols and infinite ammo on her back as the main weapons. In addition to this, she can fight in melee to complete the task.
- All the players of the game must solve puzzles and fight against wildfires, raiders, and other enemies. This game in all Tomb Raider games in order has up to 16 extensive levels that are set in multiple areas.
2. Tomb Raider II: The Dagger of Xian (1997)
The second game that contributed to the original trilogy of the game series is Tomb Raider II: The Dagger of Xian. This game was released on 21 November 1997 and was a perfect successor of Tomb Raider I in Tomb Raider games in order PC.
- While restricting the main interface of the game to the grid-based level system, this version has some additional features. Player-controlled Lara Croft character has access to improved mobility, new weapons, and a set of vehicles to traverse long distances. The pyrotechnic flares can be used to light dark corners for a particular set period.
- With a similar story plot, the entire story is based on the Great Wall of China. The main aim of the game is to find the Dagger of Xian, which belongs to the Chinese Emperor and is the focal artifact. This can turn the wielder into a dragon when it is plunged into his or her own heart.
- In addition to the basic actions like jumping, pushing, pulling, and using ranged weapons, Lara can climb and combat with others.
Tomb Raider II: The Golden Mask
The Tomb Raider II: The Golden Mask is an expanded version of the game with four new levels in the new mission. The major difference in the plot is that the story revolves around a Tomb Raider universe, in which, Lara faces dinosaurs and giant monsters. The heist for the lost artifact is still active in the game.
Also Read: 23 Best Live Service Games
3. Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft (1998)
Released on 20 November 1998, Tomb Raider III: Adventures of Lara Croft is the third game in the original trilogy series of Tomb Raider games in order PC. The game has some improved features that made this game a success.
- The best features of other versions of the game series are retained with some additional features. In this game, Lara Croft can access 5 different zones and can use an array of weapons and an expanded set of vehicles to complete the search for the Scion.
- The game incorporates a new graphic engine that has improved efficiency, performance, and graphics. This allowed the creators to create more complex levels and puzzles in the game making it challenging for the players.
- The storyline of the game is based on a set of four scattered meteorite pieces, which are also artifacts, around the world. These artifacts obtained from the quest can help turn humans into grotesque mutations of their original forms. This occurs when they are used in tandem with the power of a fallen meteorite.
- The only thing that was not welcomed in this edition of all Tomb Raider games in order is that it had some portion of the game featured underwater. This was challenging and confusing and made the players not get the nostalgic feel of playing the game.
4. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (1999)
The Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation was released on 22 November 1999. This game in the list of Tomb Raider games in order PC managed to get some positive response.
- The game relies on the framework set by the previous versions of the game and for this reason, the game felt to be unchanged and lacked innovation. However, on the other hand, the improved enemy AI and graphics combined with the uncertainty and exciting feature made some people to like the game in this aspect.
- Lara Croft moves through a series of zones and has to pass more mystical elements. While searching for the artifacts, she accidentally frees the deity while exploring the tomb of the Egyptian God Set. To revert the situation to normal, she would have to run around the country to entomb the evil God again. The climax of the main character remains unknown in the game. Some players have predicted that Lara is presumed dead in the game.
5. Tomb Raider- Game Boy Color (2000)
Released on 8 June 2000, the Tomb Raider- Game Boy Color or the GBC version of the game series has an experimental approach. This is the first version to alter the settings, which are the core setting and gameplay of the game, compared to the previous installments of Tomb Raider games in order PC.
- The previous extensive skill set to a 2D setting in the predecessor versions of Lara Croft’s game is retained in this version as well. The game has smooth animations and in-depth button mapping making the game an ideal choice for players who like challenges.
- The hardware limitations or the high PC specifications make this game unsuitable for users.
6. Tomb Raider: Chronicles (2000)
The Tomb Raider: Chronicles, released on 24 November 2000, is the game that explains the open-ended questions of the game series. In the Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation version of the game, the fate of the Lara Croft character is unknown and left to the audience.
- This game helps the players learn about Lara’s whereabouts and her experiences. A group of friends attend Lara Croft’s memorial at the Croft Mansion and discuss Lara’s early adventures.
- The game revolves around three major stories of Lara’s life in detail. The first story was about her past narrated from the point of view of her Father and was set in the catacombs of Rome. The second story was set in Russia and was the POV of the Croft family. The third story is from the POV of Charles Kane and is based on an unknown island inhabited by demonic forces.
- In this game of all Tomb Raider games in order, the skill set of Lara Croft is enhanced with the provision of a stat tracker and grappling gun. She can attack the enemies from a stealth position and suggests which she might be alive under the ruins of the Great Pyramid. Hence, this version opens the door to another perspective of the story in the game.
7. Tomb Raider: Curse of the Sword (2001)
Released on 25 June 2001, the version of Tomb Raider games in order PC is similar to the Tomb Raider: Game Boy Color version.
- It is a direct sequel to the GBC version of the game and the game engine and gameplay of the game is replicated as well.
- The story is a bit more cohesive, where the apprentice of an evil magician marks Lara’s soul as a catalyst for the master’s resurrection. For this purpose, the character has to chase the evil magician and hunt it down to escape from death.
8. Tomb Raider: The Prophecy (2002)
As the name of the game version is not related to other titles of the game series, Tomb Raider: The Prophecy is the game version that has different settings and gameplay. Released on 12 November 2002, this version of Tomb Raider games in order PC can be considered as the advanced version of the Game Boy version.
- The game is developed with a top-down view and the character can wield firearms as the weapon of choice.
- The storyline of the game is not relevant to the game as Lara has to retrieve 3 mythical stones as opposed to finding the lost artifact. She has to ensure that the ancient soul or the Great Grey One is not revived.
- The lack of movement options and linearity of the game, which provides focus on exploration, is a limiting factor in the game compared to the predecessor versions.
Also Read: Alpha 3.18 Update Released by Star Citizen
9. Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness (2003)
To ensure that the graphics and display of the game are improved, the Tomb Raider: The Angle of Darkness version has been developed. Released on 20 June 2003, this is the first full-sized console generational leap but also the first major failure in Tomb Raider games in order PC.
- The chunky camera settings and unintuitive controls are a flaw that limits us in focusing on timing and exploration.
- The only improvement is the overall darker story tone of the game. In this game, Lara arrives in Paris after she is assumed dead. Wener Von Croy, Lara’s mentor, assigns the quest of finding the Obscura Paintings. However, before beginning the quest, her mentor is murdered and she is believed to be the killer by the Authorities. In this version, she has to prove herself innocent and complete her quest.
- The development of the next games in the trilogy was handed to the Crystal Dynamics organization owing to the failure of the game. Though this game in all Tomb Raider games in order has not performed well, some features can be given some importance.
10. Tomb Raider: Legend
Owing to the failure of the previous versions of the game, the development rights of the Tomb Raider: Legend game were transferred from the Core Design Company. Crystal Dynamics released the game in Tomb Raider games in order PC on 7 April 2006.
- This game version is a reboot of the original trilogy timeline. It brought back the originality of the Lara character and the exploration of the ancient ruins and tombs in the game. Hence, it was praised as the return of the series to its original form. Along with these, the game has improved controllers and a better enemy AI.
- The character uses the grappling hook to interact with the environment and destroy the surrounding objects. This is done by giving importance to the foundation set by the design team.
- In this game, Lara must search for the Excalibur sword, solve the linear levels of puzzles, and defeat enemies in dangerous environments.
11. Tomb Raider: Anniversary – Remake (2007)
Owing to the success of the Legend version of the game series, the Tomb Raider: Anniversary can also be taken as the remake of the old version. This game in Tomb Raider games in order PC was released on 1 June 2007 and published by Eidos Interactive.
- This version is developed as a remake of the original Tomb Raider to honor its 10th Anniversary by Crystal Dynamics and Buzz Monkey Software. The creator Toby Gard remade the detailing of the game and composer Troels Brun Folmann remade the music. To retain the original storyline, Lara Croft explores Atlantis to search for the pieces of the fractured Scion.
- This modernized version of the original game has a now-iconic and updated scheme grappling hook. Branching paths to get better gameplay and acrobatic movement to improve overall performance and gameplay are also included.
12. Tomb Raider: Underworld (2008)
The Tomb Raider: Underworld is the third consecutive game developed by Crystal Dynamics. This edition in Tomb Raider games in order PC was released on 18 November 2008.
- The game has a consistent gameplay loop and a more interactive environment. The additional feature is that the version allows exploring family mysteries.
- The game world reacts to the internal stimuli and allows the players to create their navigational aids and interact with the players.
- It also features an upgraded animation engine and allows the game to choose between animations. This, however, depends on various factors like weather or other game states.
Also Read: 50 Best Abandonware Games for PC
13. Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light- Spinoff (2010)
The next edition in Tomb Raider games in order PC is based on the titular character of the game. Released on 18 August 2010, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is a game that has a slightly different storyline and graphics.
- The game uses an Isometric A-RPG game with mixed character progression, puzzles, and exploration. This allows both local and online co-ops in the game.
- The major feature that sets the game apart from other versions is the departure from the standard third-person action or puzzle gameplay loop. The game is completely based in Central America.
- The entry features of the Prophecy version of the game series like a more combat-oriented environment with a fixed top-down view camera are included. This is the first iteration of all Tomb Raider games to feature multiplayer options to allow a second player to take control of the Totec or the titular Guardian of Light. This helps in completing the mission, in which, Lara and her team must face the Xolotl, or the evil spirit raising from the dead.
14. Tomb Raider – Reboot (2013)
Publisher Square Enix started the reboot series of the game and the first game in Tomb Raider games in order PC, named Tomb Raider- Reboot was released on 5 March 2013.
- A significant shift in the character description of Lara and other features of the Tomb Raider series is provided in the game. The edition has a multiplayer feature that provides 4v4 PvP combat on different maps.
- Players can control an untested and relatively naive version of the characters. The main aim of the game is to rescue Lara from Yamatai island. In addition, they should ensure that they escape from the malevolent inhabitants of the island’s cult. Another twist in the game is the shipwreck that worsens the situation for travel.
- This game is the first to adapt the RPG-esque progression to help players earn EXP points to learn new skills or get new weapons.
Also Read: 25 Best Tycoon Game Online
15. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris- Spinoff (2014)
The trilogy of the game series, called the Survivor Timeline, includes Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris. It was released on 9 December 2014 and is a direct sequel to the Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light edition of Tomb Raider games in order PC.
- The edition focuses on the multiplayer feature that allows four characters, namely, Lara, Carter, Isis, and Horus. The characters have unique weapons and skills, and the game can be played both online and offline.
- The storyline of the game brings back the evil God Set of the Last Revelation as the negative character. The team goes underworld to defeat the evil God Set and the climax is unknown in the game.
16. Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015)
The Rise of the Tomb Raider was released on 10 November 2015. It can be considered a direct sequel to the 2013 iteration, the Tomb Raider Reboot of the game series.
- The game is based in Siberia, wherein, Lara searches for the secret of immortality in the legendary city, Kitezh.
- Similar to the previous versions of the game series, this edition adds a skill tree to allow Lara to learn a new skill set. The prevalent Stealth and survival elements in the linear level design help her complete her quest.
- This is the first iteration in all Tomb Raider games so that allows Lara to hunt wildlife and gather materials. This skill also helps her in crafting ammunition, special arrows, and hand grenades.
Also Read: 13 Best PS3 Zombie Games of All Time
17. Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition (2018)
Released on 14 September 2018, the Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the latest version of Tomb Raider games in order PC at present.
- Though the gameplay of this edition is identical to the Rise of the Tomb Raider, it includes an additional feature, which is, control scheme revisions.
- Similar to the previous successful versions, the game is based on the legendary city Paititi and puts the characters in America. The main aim of the game is to stop the unleashing Mayan apocalypse.
- Three players can unlock the skill using the New Game+ feature and raid tombs, scavenge resources, and complete side missions. The game also includes swimming and other complexities to the RPG features. Along with these, a bartering system is introduced in the game. This allows Lara to gather, sell, and trade resources from the surrounding open-world hubs.
- At the end of the game, Lara is portrayed planning her next adventure in the game. This opened a discussion on an upcoming sequel but no official announcement is made to date.
- To obtain the best output in the game, you can buy the Definitive Edition. This is helpful as it uses various DLCs and add-ons in the game.
- What is the Reason for Backorder?
- Fix Call of Duty Warzone 2 Error Code Diver
- 37 Best Offline iPhone Games for Free
- 24 Best Games Like Among Us on Android
The article provides information about Tomb Raider games in order PC. Kindly spare a few minutes of your valuable time to send your suggestions and queries in the comments section.