In today’s culture when everyone wants to appear fantastic in their images with all the essential features, filters, textures, and so on. Editing is a form of art in itself, to make someone look that amazing. As you are all aware, Adobe Photoshop is a well-known graphics editing program. To enhance the best aspects of a shot, Photoshop provides a wide variety of tools and capabilities. So, in today’s tutorial, we will teach you how to add texture in Photoshop so that you can try it out yourself and save some extra in your pocket for your special occasions. So, without any further delay let’s learn about paper texture in Photoshop, how to add texture to a solid color in photoshop and how to add texture to a shape in Photoshop.
How to Add Texture in Photoshop
We bring to you a perfect guide that will teach you how to add Texture in Photoshop, about paper texture in Photoshop, how to add texture to a shape in Photoshop and many more in detail.
One of the most effective methods is by using the Overlay blending mode. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to add texture in Photoshop:
1. Open the texture image in Photoshop.
2. Select the texture layer by clicking on it in the Layers panel.
3. Select the entire texture image and copy the texture image to the clipboard.
4. Create a new layer by clicking on the Create a new layer icon at the bottom of the Layers panel.
5. Paste the texture image onto the new layer.
6. Select the Overlay blending mode from the drop-down menu in the Layers panel.
7. Adjust the opacity of the texture layer to your liking by using the Opacity slider in the Layers panel.
What is Adobe Photoshop?
Adobe Inc. created and released Adobe Photoshop, a raster graphics editor. Together with a multitude of tools including selecting, painting, cropping, and retouching, it employs layering to give images depth and substance. Photoshop can also be used for web design, video and motion graphics, and the creation and manipulation of 3D models. Photographers, designers, and other creatives of all skill levels use it for a range of tasks, including picture editing, graphics creation, site design, and video editing. It is recognized as one of the most potent and adaptable image editing programs on the market and is accessible on both Mac and Windows operating systems.
What are Textures for Photoshop?
Textures are visual elements that are utilized to give a picture or design project an extra degree of realism and detail. They can be used to produce a range of effects, including giving an image an aged or worn-out appearance, adding a creative effect like a textured background, or giving 3D models a realistic surface. Textures can be imported into Adobe Photoshop from a variety of sources, such as images, scans, and 3D objects, and can then be layered and mixed together for a distinctive look. Keep reading further to know how to add texture to a shape in Photoshop.
Photoshop’s texture tool can be used to add texture to photographs to improve their aesthetic appeal and overall effect. An otherwise flat and boring image can get depth, dimension, and intrigue by adding a paper texture Photoshop. Below are the steps to add texture to a shape in Photoshop.
Step I: Open Image and Texture
You must open both the texture and the image in Photoshop in order to understand adding texture to an image. The primary image that you open is the one to which you want to apply texture. A picture, pattern, or texture file can all be used as the texture. While the texture and image are both open, you can use a paper texture Photoshop or any of the other many textures that are accessible with the image.
1. Click on File, then Open, and select the image.
2. Then, drag and drop the image from your Desktop into Photoshop.
Follow these steps to import texture.
1. Now, click on File, then Place Embedded… option.
2. Then, select Texture, click on Place, and finally press Enter key.
Then, apply the texture to the primary image by following the given steps.
1. First, select the Move tool from the toolbar.
2. Then, click and drag the texture image to the main image while holding Shift.
Step II: Resize Texture File
In the next process of learning how to add texture in photoshop. You must scale the texture file in Adobe Photoshop so that it is the same size or slightly larger than the image you are adding it to. Once the texture is the right size, you can use Photoshop’s color burn or texture overlay photoshop blend modes to combine it with the image and a layer mask to apply it only to the desired regions.
View Image in Fullscreen mode
1. Select the main image, and press F key on your keyboard.
To correct the texture’s error
1. Press Ctrl + T keys together and hold Shift key while clicking and dragging the mouse
Maintain the Aspect Ratio
1. Hold Shift + Option or Alt keys while clicking and dragging the mouse until the layer fits.
2. Resize as necessary, then hit the Enter key on your computer.
Step III: Rename Texture Layer
After resizing the texture file, you must rename the texture layer in the Layers panel in order to add texture to an image in Adobe Photoshop. After renaming the layer, you can combine the texture with the image by using texture overlay photoshop. This step is important to keep a track of your layers.
1. Double-click the name of the layer you want to rename.
2. Then, a text box appears around the layer name.
3. Now, type the Layer name.
4. Finally press Enter key and the layer’s new name will appear on the layer palette.
Step IV: Change to Screen Blending Mode
The fourth step is to use Adobe Photoshop’s Screen Blending Mode. This blending mode will darken areas where the texture is darker than the image and lighten parts where it is lighter. You can adjust the opacity of the texture layer to strengthen the effect.
1. To choose Blending, click Layers in the menu.
2. Set the blend mode from Normal to Screen.
Note: If you want dark backgrounds with light screens use Screen Blending mode.
3. By hitting Ctrl + L keys together, you can add levels (to the textured layer’s adjustment).
Note: Drag the slider if you want to adjust the lightness or darkness.
4. Click OK when you’re happy with the changes.
Step V: Apply Layer Mask
In Photoshop, using a layer mask will let you selectively apply a texture to a layer without altering the rest of the picture.
1. Click the Layer Mask icon in Photoshop’s Layers panel.
2. Depending on your needs, alter the background or foreground color.
3. Click Ok, to save changes.
4. Then, choose the Brush tool, and set it to Normal mode, and then tweak the Flow percentage.
Step VI: Add Color to Texture
You may already be aware that blending is the key to coloring, therefore the last step in learning how to add texture in photoshop is to include color in the texture. Let’s see how it works,
1. Select the first layer.
Note: Make sure to not select the second layer.
2. Now, press Ctrl + U keys simultaneously on your keyboard, to choose Hue/Saturation.
3. Toggle the Colorized checkbox on.
4. To add color to your image, move the slider as needed.
You may apply the same method, for how to add texture to a shape in Photoshop as well as for how to add texture to a solid color in Photoshop and add paper texture in Photoshop.
Also Read: How to Add Text in Photoshop
How to Add Texture to Text in Photoshop
Everyone loves to be drawn to creativity. Wow is the first word that comes to mind when you pass a gorgeous logo or sign of a brand while walking. There is a lot going on, however, beneath that ingenuity. We’ll show you today how even you can get your hands on it. So, let’s learn how to add texture to text in photoshop.
1. Begin by starting a brand-new document.
2. After that, type your text using the type Tool (T).
4. In the layers panel, choose all of your Text layers.
5. Right-click and choose Convert to smart object.
6. Now, insert Texture or color image.
7. In the layers panel, right-click the image and select Make a Clipping Mask.
8. To position the image where you want it, slide it around behind the text.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is the use of texture in Photoshop?
Ans. In Photoshop, textures can be used to give images more depth, texture, and interest. Moreover, texture can be used to alter a photograph’s appearance and feel, represent natural materials, and produce abstract art.
Q2. How can texture affect color?
Ans. There are several ways that texture can impact color. Depending on the texture chosen, it can make colors appear either brighter or more subdued. For instance, a texture’s coarseness can make a color appear brighter, while its smoothness might make a hue appear more subdued.
Q3. What are the two main types of texture?
Ans. Tactile texture and visual texture are the two primary types of texture. The difference between tactile and visual textures is how an object looks on a two-dimensional surface. Tactile texture is the instant palpable feel of a surface.
Q4. Can I paint a texture in Photoshop?
Ans. Yes, Photoshop allows you to paint a texture. Use the Paint Brush Tool from the toolbar to accomplish this.
Q5. What is Adobe Photoshop mostly used for?
Ans. Several different picture and video file formats can be edited, manipulated, and retouched using Adobe Photoshop. Also, it is widely utilized in the design industry for advertising, graphic design, traditional press design, web design, and other purposes.
Q6. Is Adobe Photoshop free?
Ans. Adobe Photoshop Express can be downloaded without cost. All of the features and updates found in the full version of Photoshop are available during a 7-day free trial offered by Adobe.
- How to Outline Text in Adobe Illustrator
- How to Create a Graph in Google Sheets
- Photoshop vs Canva: Which is the Best Design Tool?
- How to Add Text in Photoshop
In the end, adding texture or exploring different types of texture in Photoshop is quite the thing. We hope we could be of assistance in teaching you how to add texture in Photoshop, about paper texture in Photoshop and how to add texture to a shape in Photoshop. Do go through the article and add that creativity to your work with the amazing tools and features available on Adobe Photoshop. Feel free to comment down below if you have any suggestions or queries.