Keka is one of the best and fastest compression & extraction tool for Mac users, which is primarily used to break down a large file into smaller files. For instance, if there is a 15 GB ISO file that is required to be transferred to an external hard drive or sent through the mail, however, the limit is up to 5 GB. So, Keka can compress that 15 GB file into 3 parts of 5 GB each or lesser as per the preference. So, in this guide, we have covered everything you need to know about the Keka app, how to use it to compress a large file, all the queries regarding how to solve keka error code 2, how to install keka, and how to uninstall keka.
How to Fix Keka Error Code 2 on macOS
In this article, we have explained about Keka app, its features, how to use the app, solutions to fix error code 2 and how to uninstall or install Keka app on macOS in detail.
How to Use Keka App on macOS
Keka has a simple interface with minimum and appropriate options & settings, it’s pretty nice and clean, which makes it super easy to use. Here we present a quick guide on how to extract a file using Keka and more importantly how to compress/split a large file into multiple smaller files.
What is the usage of Keka app?
- Extraction of files and data from zipped folders.
- Compressing files and data to reduce the file size.
- Splitting an extremely huge file into collective smaller files.
- Encrypting a file with a password.
Some Features of Keka App
- Can perform multiple simultaneous operations.
- Automatically deletes or moves the zip folder to trash after extraction.
- Option to set default extraction format and method (speed).
- Default presets available for split compression, such as 1.4 Floppy disk, 4.7 GB DVD, 25 GB Blu-ray (SL).
- Option to extract in a sub-folder.
How to Compress a file on Keka
Compression as the name suggests is going to compress the file into a zip folder and reduce the file size as it removes similar file elements and data, which can restore to its original state by decompressing it. Do the following to compress a file using Keka:
1. Open Keka app.
2. Choose the format in which you want to compress the file.
3. Select the method (speed of compression). Set it to Normal for the best result.
4. Drag the file into the Keka window.
Now, a new compressed file will be created in the same window/location.
How to Extract a File with Keka
Extraction means taking out the data/files from the compressed/zipped file. Perform the following steps to extract a file:
1. Right-click on your file, hover the cursor over the Open With option, and click on Keka.
After clicking on Keka, it will extract the files on the same window instantly.
Note: You can also set the default folder for extraction if you use it frequently. To set the default folder, open Keka app > Press Command + Comma key > then go to the Extraction tab and change the default location from Extract to location drop-down menu.
For more exciting tricks and tips, continue reading our guide on Keka MacOS File Archiver.
Also Read: Fix macOS Big Sur Problems
How to Split Large File into Multiple Smaller Files
If you are a Mac user, then you may probably know that choosing Ex-FAT format for a hard drive work and supports both Mac and Windows operating systems. However, the drawback of this is that it can only transfer files up to 4 GB at once. If the file size is 4.2 GB, then it can’t be transferred to a hard drive. In such cases, large files such as 25 GB Blu-ray movies or huge Windows ISO files can be compressed and broken into smaller files for easy transfer. Here’s how to split a file into smaller files:
1. Open the Keka app.
2. Select the format in which you want to compress the file.
3. In the Split section, enter the amount size in which you want to split each file. For example, we are taking an 81 MB video file and we want to split the file into 10 MB each. For that, we are going to enter 10 MB in the Split section. You can enter the amount as per your preference and file size.
4. Drag the file to the Keka window. And the compression will begin.
The zip files will be created in the same location where the original file is. Now, a single video file is divided into 9 files, and you must be thinking about how to bring it back to its original form. Simply click on any of the compressed files, and it will automatically extract back to its original state and location.
File Formats Supported by Keka
Keka can extract files of 7Z, ZIP, RAR, ZIPX, TAR, GZIP, BZIP2 XZ, LZIP, ISO, DMG, ZSTD, BROTLI, LRZIP, EXE, CAB, LZMA, MSI, WIM, JAR, PAX, JAR, IPA, WAR, APK, XIP, APPX, XPI, IS3, WPRESS, CPIO, CPT, CPGZ, and SPK formats.
It can compress files in ZIP, TAR, ISO, 7Z, GZIP, LZIP, BZIP2, XZ, DMG, BROTLI, LRZIP ZSTD, WIM, and AAR formats.
What are the Reasons behind Keka Error Code 2?
Most of the time, the reason behind Keka error code 2 or Error code 2 using “p7zip” Fatal error occurs while extracting or decompressing the files due to a faulty or incomplete downloaded file. Other factors include other application interference, system files error, and mismatch of file formats.
Here are the methods to fix Keka error code 2 issue.
Method 1: Restart System
This is the easiest yet most effective way to fix any errors or annoying bugs by simply restarting your Mac. The system will automatically fix all the temporary errors caused by system confusion or by other application interference. Also, it will release some memory consumed by background apps. If you’re still facing Keka error codes error, then try the next method listed below.
Method 2: Verify and Use Right Format
The primary reason behind Keka error code 2 is due to choosing the wrong format/extension for file decompression. It often happens with the RAR format while decompressing the parted/split files. The best solution to fix this problem is by renaming the extension as per the file format and the supported one. Here’s how to change the format of a file on Mac:
1. Right-click on the file and click on Rename to rename the file.
2. Type the new format and press Enter key.
3. Confirm by clicking on Use .png format.
Method 3: Verify File before Extraction
Make sure that the file you are decompressing is fully downloaded or transferred, and it supports the wide range of extraction formats by Keka. Try to re-download or transfer the file again in case there was any fault last time.
Note: All of the formats supported by Keka are listed above in this guide.
Method 4: Close other Compression Apps
If you are using multiple extraction tools/apps together, then Keka error codes issue will likely occur as the file you want to compress or decompress is in use with another application. Or, any other archiving app running in the background can also affect and lead to errors. Therefore, close all the other archiving/compression apps & tools.
Note: If you’re a long-time Mac user you probably know that clicking on the Red Cross button at the left corner of the window will not fully close the application and it will still open in the background. To completely quit an application, follow the steps mentioned below.
To Quit App on Mac:
Most new Mac users may not know how to fully quit applications, which can drain the battery faster and also affect overall performance. There are multiple ways to fully close an app. Here are some ways to close apps on Mac:
1. Press Command + Q key.
2. Right-click on the application icon on the dock and click on Quit.
3. In case Keka MacOS File Archiver application is frozen and not responding or you want to close multiple apps together, then click on the Apple logo in the top left corner and click on Force Quit. After that, select the apps you want to quit, click on Force Quit, and confirm it by clicking on Force Quit one more time.
4. Or, simply, click on the application name on the menu bar and click on Quit [application name].
Method 5: Reinstall Keka App
If none of the methods work for you, then lastly you can try reinstalling Keka MacOS File Archiver app. First, you need to uninstall Keka and then install it again. To install and uninstall Keka on MacOS, the steps are mentioned below in detail.
Step 1: Uninstall Keka on Mac
1. Click on the Finder icon or press Command + N key together on Desktop.
2. Click on Applications.
3. Select Keka, right-click on Move to Trash or press Command + Delete key simultaneously.
4. Then, click on the Trash icon on the dock. Click on Empty and confirm it by clicking on Empty Trash.
Also Read: How to Fix Microphone not Working on Mac
Step 2: Install Keka on Mac
Keka MacOS File Archiver is a lightweight application and completely free to use. The user interface is quite simple and all you need is a one-time tutorial to know the basics. Follow these steps to install Keka on your Mac device to solve Keka error code 2 issue.
1. Go to the official page of Keka or simply get it from the Mac App Store, which we don’t recommend as it will cost you $4.99.
2. Then go to your downloads folder and double-click on Keka-1.2.56.dmg file to install it.
3. After that, drag the Keka icon to Application folder icon.
4. Double-click on Applications folder icon, and then double-click on Keka app.
5. Any application downloaded outside the Mac App Store requires additional permission. So, click on Open to grant permission to install Keka. And, done. Enjoy using the app.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Best alternative app for Keka for Windows OS?
Ans. Keka is not available on Windows. But there are many compression similar applications like Keka for Windows, that can split large files into smaller files. 7-Zip and WinRAR are well known compression applications that can be used on Windows OS for splitting large files.
Q2. Will there be any loss in video quality while compressing?
Ans. In short, yes there might be little difference. There are countless different kinds of video compression tools available today, so the compression quality of the video depends on a lot of factors, such as, which tool/app is being used, resolution, quality settings, speed, etc.
Q3. What’s the difference between rar, zip and 7z formats?
Ans. All 3 are compression formats and are very similar to each other. The only difference would be the compression size, ratio, and speed, which may differ depending on the file format and size.
- How to Find Someone’s Reddit Account by Email
- 19 Best Photo Recovery App for iPhone
- What is Error Code 36 on Mac?
- Fix Cannot be Opened Because the Developer Cannot be Verified in Mac
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix Keka error code 2 problem. Let us know which method worked for you and which didn’t to solve Keka MacOS File Archiver errors. If you have any queries or suggestions regarding any tech-related queries, then feel free to drop them in the comments section below.