Instagram has over 2.35 billion users, making it a popular destination for endless scrolling. This platform’s enormous popularity not only brings people closer but also serves as a hub for irrelevant content, commonly known as spam. In order to prevent it from ruining your experience, it’s crucial to spot such spam accounts. In this article, we will discuss what does spam mean on Instagram and how you can recognize it.
What Does Spam Mean on Instagram?
On Instagram or any other social media app, spam means the act of sending unsolicited and unwanted messages to multiple users. This could involve repeatedly commenting, posting, or sending the same message to a large number of individuals in a short period of time. Moreover, if you’re messaging someone and you both aren’t following each other, your message may be considered spam. So, to avoid being considered a spammer, it is important to keep your Instagram messages relevant and respectful.
What Does Spam Likes Mean on Instagram?
Spam likes mean someone is using a bot or any other tool to increase the number of likes on your Instagram post. Such likes are made from a spam account, meaning it is intentionally created to cause annoyance or disrupt the platform.
How to Recognize a Spam Account on Instagram
Now that you know the meaning of a spam account and what it means on any social media platform, let us discover how to recognize a spam account on Instagram:
- Number of posts: If the user account has zero or very few posts, it could potentially be a fake account.
- The profile picture: Check the profile picture; if it is a random image or doesn’t have any identifying photo, it’s most likely fake.
- Number of followers: If the account has zero followers or hasn’t followed any account, then it might be a spam account.
- Comments: If any user leaves generic comments on your post or is constantly spamming others with comments, they’re likely to be spammers.
- Promotional DMs: Bots usually offer gifts, and discounts, and ask for collaboration in the inbox to hack personal information.
How Do You Avoid a Spam Account
Avoiding spam accounts can be a bit difficult, as they’re everywhere. However, the best way to avoid Instagram spam accounts is through a manual filter. It can help you avoid spam accounts by automatically detecting them. They remove such spam accounts from your followers list. Additionally, you can also block and report such accounts.
How to Stop Spam Likes on Instagram
You can stop spam likes on Instagram by following these methods.
Method 1: Use a Private Account
You can stop spam by making your account private.
1. Open the Instagram app on your device and tap on the three horizontal lines from the top-right corner.
2. Next, tap on Settings and Privacy.
3. Under the Who can see your content section, tap on the Account privacy option.
4. Now, switch to a Private account.
5. From the prompt that appears, tap on Switch to private.
Also Read: How Can I Check a Phone Number for Spam
Method 2: Use Block and Report Feature
You can also use the block and report feature of Instagram to avoid spam.
1. Log into your Instagram account and go to the profile of the account you want to block and report.
2. Tap on the three dots symbol in the top-right corner.
Note: Here you will see a few options, including block.
3. Tap on the Block option.
4. Now, tap on the Block and report option.
5. From the pop-up, select any desired reason for reporting.
That’s it; now you are done.
We hope this article was successful in getting you familiar with what does spam mean on Instagram. By following the tips and methods mentioned, you can protect yourself from phishing attempts. If you have any suggestions for us, leave your comments in the box given below.