Missed out on your favorite TV show? Do you want to stream the latest movie on your favorite OTT platform? Well, the streaming apps are here to your rescue! In this article, we’ll discuss the best video streaming apps and services for Android, including those offering live TV show streaming and much more.
Table of Contents
Top 20 Video Streaming Apps
With the plethora of options available on the internet, choosing the right video streaming app can be overwhelming. But worry not, as we’ve curated a list of the top video streaming apps to make your decision easier. This list presents the finest streaming apps, catering to both free and paid options. We’ve also discussed the features and downsides of each app, allowing you to make an informed choice.
Netflix is the biggest streaming service worldwide, with tons of movies, shows, and documentaries that everyone loves.
- It’s super easy to use, with a simple interface to find and watch your favorite stuff.
- Netflix knows what you like and suggests cool shows and movies just for you.
- You get awesome original shows, and you can download stuff to watch offline.
However, some people might not like the ads in the cheaper version and sometimes it’s not clear what’s available to watch.
Amazon Prime Video is a popular streaming service that comes in second place, right after Netflix. It offers a wide selection of exclusive shows and movies created by Amazon, as well as blockbuster films and well-liked TV series.
- It offers critically acclaimed original content for a captivating viewing experience.
- The user-friendly interface makes it easy for you to find and watch your favorite shows and movies.
- You can download content to watch offline, perfect for when you’re on the go.
- There are customizable options to tailor your viewing preferences.
Some challenges include the loss of third-party content and fewer high-quality TV shows compared to other streaming services, but it’s still a top choice for diverse and engaging entertainment.
Hulu offers a special mix of current and classic TV shows, along with its own original content, making it stand out from the crowd.
- You can watch the latest episodes right after they air on TV, perfect if you don’t have cable.
- There’s a free option with some content, and a mix of Sling TV and Netflix, offering live TV and TV shows.
- The app provides a broad range of channels and a cloud DVR for your convenience.
Some ads and fewer top-notch originals might be a downside for some users, but it’s still a versatile choice with plenty of content.
Disney+ is the ultimate app for families and Disney fans, with a vast collection of classics, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars content, creating a safe and magical space for viewers of all ages.
- It offers nostalgic favorites and original shows for you to enjoy.
- With content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Fox, and National Geographic, you get a high-quality selection.
- The app allows offline downloads, 4K streaming, and reliable performance, providing an excellent viewing experience.
Some users might find the Premier Access plan expensive, which could be a drawback.
5. HBO Max
HBO Max is known for its top-notch content, including famous shows like Game of Thrones and Watchmen, alongside a large WarnerMedia library, making it a premium and exclusive streaming service.
- It offers same-day releases for new movies and shows, perfect for TV and movie fans.
- You’ll find content from Warner Bros Studios and DC comics, adding to its appeal.
- The platform has user-friendly apps, parental controls, and offline viewing options.
The ad-supported tier lacks offline downloads, and potential library changes may concern some subscribers.
YouTube, a leading platform in online video streaming, provides a massive variety of user-generated and professional content, making it a favorite for diverse interests.
- It hosts an enormous library of videos, music, vlogs, and educational content to suit everyone.
- With YouTube Premium, you get ad-free viewing and can download videos to watch offline.
- The platform’s user-friendly interface and content in multiple languages make it popular worldwide.
7. YouTube TV
YouTube TV is a user-friendly live TV streaming service with an extensive channel lineup and unlimited cloud DVR storage for recording shows and sports events, it is also one of the best streaming apps to binge-watch live TV shows.
- It offers a wide range of live TV channels from major networks, including sports, news, and entertainment.
- Subscribers can conveniently record their favorite shows with unlimited cloud DVR storage.
- YouTube TV provides ad-free content through an affordable subscription, and it competes with Netflix and Prime with its original programming.
- The service provides excellent add-ons and customizable choices, allowing you to personalize your viewing experience.
However, YouTube TV lacks certain sports networks and comprehensive parental control features.
Also Read: How to Cancel YouTube TV Subscription
Crunchyroll, the go-to streaming service for anime fans, has a wide collection of anime series and manga across different genres, delighting fans globally.
- It’s a treasure trove of anime content, with classic and current shows available for you to enjoy.
- You can legally stream popular series like Naruto and Dragon Ball in high definition.
- The app offers offline downloads, and simulcast episodes, and even has a manga store to enhance your experience.
The interface might feel a bit cluttered, and there could be limited subtitle options, but these are minor issues.
Twitch, the go-to platform for gamers and e-sports fans, lets you live stream to show off your skills, connect with followers, and create communities.
- It’s a fun and social way to watch others play games and enjoy various content like tournaments and creative streams.
- You can interact with streamers and fellow viewers through chat, making it engaging.
- The platform hosts a diverse range of content, including talk shows and events, offering something for everyone.
However, making money on Twitch can be challenging, and content creators may face personal and well-being risks.
Peacock, NBCUniversal‘s streaming service, has both free and premium tiers, offering a wide variety of content to suit different viewers. It is one of the best streaming apps to watch Live sports and TV shows.
- It includes classic shows, current series, news, sports, and exclusive originals for a diverse range of interests.
- The affordable base tier has no major limitations and supports multiple account profiles.
- You can choose flexible plan pricing for personalized subscriptions.
New users can’t create free accounts, and the movie library undergoes constant changes.
11. Amazon Freevee
Amazon Freevee, formerly known as IMDb Freedive and IMDb TV, is a fantastic free alternative to Netflix, offering popular movies and shows from top studios like Sony, Disney, and Universal.
- It has a vast collection of popular movies and shows from well-known studios.
- You can watch premium content without paying for a Prime subscription.
- The app may show some ads, but it’s a great option for high-quality streaming without any fees.
Also Read: Top 20 Best Live Streaming App for iPhone
12. Sling TV
Sling TV is a fantastic live TV streaming service that lets you pick the channels you want, making it perfect for a personalized TV experience.
- You can customize your channel lineup with different packages to suit your preferences.
- It offers a variety of sports, entertainment, lifestyle, and news channels to choose from.
- Sling TV is affordable and provides reliable streaming with 4K resolution.
- You get access to premium channels like Showtime and Starz.
Some users might be bothered by the increasing prices and find the channel distribution confusing.
FuboTV is a streaming service designed for sports fans, offering live sports channels and on-demand entertainment content.
- It caters to sports enthusiasts with a wide variety of live sports channels.
- The service provides a reliable streaming experience and a user-friendly web interface.
- FuboTV offers DVR functionality to record your favorite games and shows.
Some users might find the premium pricing, expensive add-ons, limited 720p resolution for most live streams, and the absence of A&E and Turner channels as potential drawbacks. However, if you’re a dedicated sports enthusiast seeking premium sports coverage, FuboTV remains a compelling choice.
ESPN+ caters to sports fans with exclusive live coverage, original shows, and documentaries for the ultimate sports experience, making it one of the best video streaming platforms out there.
- It offers smooth visuals with streaming quality at 720p HD and 60 FPS.
- You can enjoy reliable streaming on multiple devices, with access to up to three screens simultaneously.
- ESPN+ provides extra content like exclusive articles and fantasy sports tips within the ESPN app.
There might be slight delays or pauses due to buffering, which could potentially lead to spoilers during live events or games.
Also Read: 15 Top Free Sports Streaming Sites
Formerly CBS All Access, Paramount+ is a captivating platform that blends classic CBS shows with exclusive originals, including reboots and spin-offs, appealing to CBS fans. It is one of the best video streaming apps to watch live TV in the USA.
- It provides easy access to current episodes shortly after they air, keeping you up-to-date with your favorite shows.
- The app offers a seamless interface, making navigation smooth and enjoyable.
- Paramount+ has a diverse content library, featuring beloved classics and exciting new series.
- With the special student plan, you can enjoy trimmed prices, making it budget-friendly.
Some original series may not have received the desired response initially.
16. Pluto TV
Pluto TV is a unique free streaming service that gives you live channels and on-demand content, including movies and TV shows from different genres.
- It offers a cable-like experience with popular channels and curated content.
- You get access to a wide range of content without paying anything, perfect for those on a budget.
- The app provides a good selection of on-demand titles for you to enjoy.
Some downsides include the limited availability of new episodes and shortened versions of major TV channels. Moreover, there’s no DVR functionality for live streams.
Tubi, a popular free streaming service, has a massive collection of movies and TV shows without needing a subscription. It provides a user-friendly interface and works on various devices like Xbox, Roku, and Smart TVs, offering a seamless experience.
- It offers a vast library of movies and TV shows across different genres.
- Tubi supports Xbox, Roku, Chromecast, and Smart TVs, and allows you to switch between devices easily.
- The ad-supported model ensures safe content with quick loading and high-quality streaming.
- Parental controls are available to manage what your kids can watch.
Some users may be disappointed by the 720p resolution limit and the absence of an ad-free option.
Crackle is an ad-supported streaming service, similar to Tubi, that provides a rotating selection of movies, TV shows, and original content.
- With its user-friendly interface, you can quickly access HD and other resolution content.
- Enjoy a vast movie library from Sony and partner production houses, along with exclusive originals and popular titles.
- Free accounts with data storage add to its appeal.
Also Read: 17 Best Free Movie Streaming Apps
Vudu is a movie platform for enthusiasts offering new releases and classics to rent or buy, with 4K support and Chromecast compatibility.
- It has limited and short ads, so you can watch without interruptions.
- Vudu offers over 1000 free movies and a hassle-free registration process, catering to diverse movie preferences.
Kanopy is a special ad-free streaming service that partners with libraries, offering access to quality films, documentaries, and educational content loved by the intellectually curious.
- It provides thousands of on-demand titles and unlimited access for library cardholders.
- You can create and share clips and playlists, adding to the fun experience.
- Kanopy offers an ad-free environment, making your viewing uninterrupted.
Some users may be disappointed by the limited monthly Play Credit titles and the inability to download content for offline viewing on mobile devices.
CONtv is a streaming service designed for comic convention and pop culture fans, offering curated content from sci-fi, horror, fantasy, anime, and gaming genres.
- It has original shows and movies for you to enjoy.
- CONtv provides free ad-supported access and a premium subscription with rare anime titles.
- With a watch list feature and a kid’s collection, you can use it on web, iOS, and Android devices.
However, the free version has limited content, and access to popular movies and shows requires a subscription.
FilmRise is a renowned distribution company and streaming app that acquires and distributes a diverse collection of movies and live TV shows across different digital platforms, catering to a broad audience.
- It has a vast library of classic films, independent movies, and captivating documentaries.
- FilmRise offers a wide range of content, including popular TV series, cartoons, animes, award-winning movies, cooking shows, horror films, and kids’ TV.
- You can explore nature, outdoor life collections, and international film genres for more entertainment options.
Some limitations you may encounter are the inability to access or modify the queue, an imbalance in search results favoring TV shows, and the lack of show descriptions while watching another show.
Xumo is a free streaming service and one of the best apps to watch live TV. With a wide variety of live and on-demand content, covering news, entertainment, sports, and niche interests, available on its app and select smart TVs in the US.
- It offers a user-friendly interface and an extensive range of options without any subscription fees.
- You can enjoy a diverse lineup of channels, keeping the viewing experience fresh with frequent content changes.
The search function has limitations, and you can’t watch shows in a web browser, which could be a minor drawback for some users.
A&E (Arts & Entertainment), a well-known American TV network since 1984, offers captivating non-fiction programming, including documentaries, reality shows, and true crime content. It is often considered one of the best video streaming apps in the United States to watch live TV.
- It airs engaging shows like Biography, Intervention, and Storage Wars that keep you hooked.
- With specialized channels and access to History, Lifetime, Vice TV, FYI, and Biography, it caters to crime and human-interest enthusiasts.
However, it’s only available in the United States, and some viewers might be bothered by frequent commercials.
25. The CW
The CW Television Network, launched in 2006, is a popular American broadcast network known for scripted dramas, superhero shows, and reality TV, catering to a younger audience.
- It offers easy streaming access on online platforms, perfect for teenagers and young adults.
- You can catch up on missed episodes promptly, and social media links for shows keep you connected.
- It’s subscription-free, but some shows have limited viewing to the last five episodes.
Subtitles may be inaccurate, and fast-forwarding or rewinding capabilities are unavailable.
We hope you’ve found the perfect streaming app among our list of the best video streaming apps for Android. Let us know your choice in the comments below, and feel free to recommend other interesting video streaming apps to fellow readers. Happy streaming!