The strikethrough feature is often overlooked in text documents. The feature, although the equivalent of deleting a word, can also be used to emphasize a word or give the author time to reconsider its place in the document. If you use strikethrough regularly and want to develop a faster way of implementing it, read ahead to understand the keyboard shortcut for strikethrough.
- Different Keyboard Shortcuts for Strikethrough for Different Platforms
- Method 1: Using Strikethrough in Microsoft Word on Windows
- Method 2: Using Strikethrough Shortcut in Mac
- Method 3: Keyboard Shortcut for Strikethrough in Microsoft Excel
- Method 4: Adding Strikethrough in Google Docs
- Method 5: Striking Through Text in WordPress
Different Keyboard Shortcuts for Strikethrough for Different Platforms
Method 1: Using Strikethrough in Microsoft Word on Windows
Microsoft Word is easily the most popular text editing platform in the world. Therefore, it is natural that many people have tried to use the strikethrough feature in this platform. On Windows, the shortcut for strikethrough for Microsoft Word is Alt + H + 4. This shortcut can also be used to strike through text in Microsoft PowerPoint. But there are other ways you can use the strikethrough feature and even change the shortcut based on your preference.
a. Open the Word document you want to edit and highlight the text you want to add strikethrough.
b. Now go to the Toolbar, and click on the option that resembles ‘abc.’ This is the strikethrough feature, and it will edit your text accordingly.
There is a possibility that the strikethrough feature might not be available on your Toolbar. However, you can tackle this by following these steps:
a. Highlight the text and enter Ctrl + D. This will open up the Font customization box.
b. Here, press Alt + K to select the strikethrough feature and then click on ‘OK.’ Your selected text will have a strike through it.
If both these methods don’t suit you, you can also create a custom keyboard shortcut for the strikethrough feature in Microsoft Word:
1. On the top left corner of your Word document, click on ‘File.’
2. Then, click on Options in the bottom left corner of your screen.
3. A new window titled ‘Word Options’ will open on your screen. Here, from the panel on the left, click on Customize Ribbon.
4. A list of commands will be portrayed on your screen. Below them, there will be an option titled ‘Keyboard Shortcuts: Customize’. Click on the Customize button in front of this option to create custom shortcut for the strikethrough command.
5. Another window will appear here titled ‘Customize Keyboard’, containing two separate lists.
6. In the list titled Categories, select Home Tab.
7. Then click on the list titled Commands then select Strikethrough.
8. Once the command is selected, go down to the ‘Specify keyboard sequence’ panel and enter a new keyboard shortcut in the ‘Press new shortcut key’ textbox.
9. Enter any shortcut based on your convenience and once done, click on ‘Assign.’ This will save the keyboard shortcut and make it easier for you to use the strikethrough feature.
Method 2: Using Strikethrough Shortcut in Mac
The commands in Mac work in a slightly different manner from those in Windows. The keyboard shortcut for strikethrough in Mac is CMD + Shift + X. To change the shortcut, and you can use the steps mentioned above.
Method 3: Keyboard Shortcut for Strikethrough in Microsoft Excel
Excel is one of the more renowned data management applications in the world. Unlike Word, however, Excel’s primary function is to manipulate and store data and not edit text. Nevertheless, there’s an effortless shortcut for strikethrough in Microsoft Excel: Ctrl + 5. Just select the cell or group of cells you want to strikethrough and press the following command. Your text will display the changes accordingly.
Also Read: Fix Windows Keyboard Shortcuts Not Working
Method 4: Adding Strikethrough in Google Docs
Google Docs is emerging as a popular text editing option due to its online functionality and features. The strikethrough feature is used in abundance as multiple people share their inputs, and rather than deleting text, they strike it for future reference. With that said, the keyboard shortcut for strikethrough in Google Docs is Alt + Shift + 5. You can view this strike-through option by clicking on Format > Text > Strikethrough.
Method 5: Striking Through Text in WordPress
Blogging has become a major event in the 21st century, and WordPress has emerged as the preferred choice of CMS for many. If, as a blogger, you want your readers to notice a certain segment of text but also want them to know that it has been disregarded, then the strikethrough option is ideal. In WordPress, the strikethrough keyboard shortcut is Shift + Alt + D.
If used properly, the strikethrough feature can be a powerful tool that adds a certain level of professionality to your text document. With the steps mentioned above, you should master the art and use it at your convenience with ease.
- How to Strikethrough Text In Google Docs
- How to Change Font Style in WhatsApp
- 2 Ways to Change Margins In Google Docs
- 3 Ways to Add Album Art to MP3 in Windows 10
We hope this article was helpful and now you know different keyboard shortcuts for different applications. If you have any further doubts, reach out to us through the comments section, and we will clear them out for you.