Convenience is indispensable and voice assistants are the perfect solution as they let you operate hands-free without the need for manual input. ChatGPT generally operates in text form. However, to improve users’ interaction with the AI model, OpenAI has introduced voice and image search capabilities. This means that the chatbot can see, hear, and converse via speech. But the question is how to use ChatGPT voice assistant on your Android smartphone and PC. We’ll guide you with the same, let’s get started.
What is the ChatGPT Voice Assistant Feature and How to Use It?
Powered by a new text-to-speech model, the ChatGPT voice assistant lets you have voice conversations with AI. Instead of typing, now you can just speak your query and receive verbal responses. As it can generate human-like voices from text and sampled speech, the interactions become more natural and enjoyable.
You can use the voice assistant feature on your Android smartphone, via the ChatGPT app. Follow the steps:
1. Open the Google Play Store, search for ChatGPT, and tap on the Install option.
2. Once downloaded, open ChatGPT and Log in to your account.
3. Tap on the headphones icon next to the input bar as shown in the image and allow microphone permissions to the app when asked.
4. In the Introducing voice conversations page, tap on Continue.
5. Choose a voice from the five given options and tap on Confirm.
That’s it! Now start speaking your query and the voice assistant will listen to it and respond.
Also Read: How to Use ChatGPT 4
How to Download and Use ChatGPT Voice Extension on PC
While for now the voice assistant feature has only been rolled out on the mobile app, you can use voice assistants featured by third-party extensions to interact with ChatGPT on PC. One such extension designed to assist users is Talk to ChatGPT. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Google Chrome, navigate to the chrome web store, and search for the Talk-to-ChatGPT extension.
2. Click on the Add to Chrome option.
3. A prompt will appear, click on the Add extension tab.
4. Once the extension is installed, open ChatGPT in a new tab and Sign Up or Log In using your existing credentials if you already have an account.
5. At the top-right corner, click on the Start option to enable the extension.
6. Click on the OK button in the prompt to continue and then click on Allow to grant permission to the extension to use your microphone.
Now you can just ask your questions directly via voice and even listen to the responses.
Also Read: 13 Ways to Use ChatGPT for Content Creation
Is ChatGPT Voice Feature Now Available to All Users for Free?
Initially, the voice feature was only available for ChatGPT Plus and Enterprise users. However, yes, now it is available for free to all users through the ChatGPT app for iOS and Android.
Pros and Cons of ChatGPT Voice Assistant
Every feature comes with multiple pros and cons and so does the voice feature in ChatGPT.
Pros of ChatGPT Voice Assistant:
- Easy to use: As users can simply hold the microphone and speak their queries, it tends to be a friendly medium for interaction. Moreover, it has become a convenient option for people with disabilities.
- Natural language processing: It responds in natural languages, which makes it easier for users to quickly obtain the information they need without any confusion.
- Available in multiple languages: It supports multiple languages and provides users with the option to choose their preferred one.
Cons of ChatGPT Voice Assistant:
- Limitations in understanding certain accents: Sometimes it may not understand the user’s dialects or accents and thereby could generate incorrect responses.
- Dependency on background noise: Poor audio quality or loud background noises can affect the accuracy of assistant responses
We hope our guide helped you use the ChatGPT voice assistant on your preferred device. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments section below. Keep visiting our page for more informational blogs.