There has been a sudden surge in reports of PC browsers unexpectedly redirecting searches to Bing which is raising concerns about potential security threats. Sometimes, these viruses threaten the security of your personal information, and that is why we have prepared a step-by-step guide to provide you with effective strategies to answer your question on how do I stop Bing from hijacking my browser. Keep reading!
How Do I Stop Bing from Hijacking My Browser?
It’s important to stop Bing from taking over your browser, not only because it’s annoying but also because it protects your online privacy and security. Unwanted browser redirects might jeopardize your surfing experience and reveal personal information about you. Let’s understand how we can eliminate the Bing redirect virus in both Windows PC and Mac.
What is Bing Redirect Virus?
Bing redirect virus is one of the many types of malware known as a potentially unwanted program or PUP. It can easily hijack web browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Edge, and more to perform unwanted changes, such as altering your default search engine which ultimately forces you to make queries through Bing.
These Bing redirect hijackers enter our computers through various methods:
- Bundled Software: These may be bundled with freeware or shareware programs in your PC as an additional installer.
- Drive-by Downloads: Visiting compromised sites can easily activate a malware download, and the hijacker is installed without approval.
- Malicious Ads: Clicking on a malicious ad or pop-up is a very common mistake made by users that can begin a hijacker download.
- Social Engineering: Fake error messages in the mailbox can convince users to manually install the Bing hijacker.
How to Remove Bing Redirect Virus in Windows 10/Mac
Setting these precautions as a top priority is essential to preserving the security of your online identity and shielding private information from dangers.
Option 1: On Windows
Let’s check out some methods through which you can remove Bing Redirect Virus in Windows.
Method 1: Reset Default Search Engine in Browser
Resetting your search engine as default is the most recommended solution to get rid of browser hijackers. To do so in Chrome, follow these steps:
1. Open Chrome and click on the three dots in the top-right corner.
2. Select Settings from the drop-down menu.
3. In the Settings page, select Search engine.
4. Click on the arrow next to Search engine used in the address bar.
5. Select any browser except Bing.
6. Now, open Manage search engines and site search.
7. Under the Search engine heading, click on three dots next to your preferred browser and select Make default.
This way you can get rid of Bing Redirect Virus browser hijackers.
Method 2: Uninstall Malicious Programs
If you want to get rid of browser hijackers, you must filter the recently installed applications as they might contain viruses. Follow these steps to uninstall such applications:
1. Open the Control Panel on your Windows PC.
2. Under Programs, click on Uninstall a program.
3. Search and uninstall a suspicious program of your choice.
This way you can remove any malicious program.
Method 3: Uninstall Suspicious Extensions
Bing redirect viruses can also be caused by some malicious extensions, hence it is better to remove all the suspicious and unnecessary extensions from your browser. Here are the steps to do so in Chrome:
1. Click on the three dots at the top-right corner of Chrome.
2. Select Extensions and then Manage Extensions from the list.
3. On the Extensions page, select any suspicious or unknown extension.
4. Remove it by clicking on the Remove button.
5. Restart your browser.
Now you can check if your problem is solved.
Method 4: Clear Cache in Chrome
If you still haven’t resolved the Bing redirect virus issue, then clearing the cache and cookies in Chrome might help. Follow these steps:
1. Open Chrome and go to Settings.
2. Select Privacy and Security.
3. Scroll down and select Clear browsing data.
4. In the Clear browsing data window, select the time range as All Time and click on Clear data.
You can apply the same methods to Firefox and other Microsoft Windows browsers to remove the Bing redirect virus from your system.
Option 2: On Mac
Now let’s also check out ways to remove the Bing Redirect Virus on Mac.
Method 1: Check Your Login Items
Login items are apps that run automatically when log in to your Mac. Malware often tracks and hides within these apps making it imperative to check these login items. Here are the steps for this process:
1. Go to the Apple menu and search Login Items.
3. Now, look for suspicious applications and turn the toggle off for the ones you wish to remove.
4. Click on the minus sign and remove all selected apps at once.
The suspicious applications will be removed from your Mac.
Method 2: Reset Browser Homepage Preferences
Resetting browser preferences will stop Bing from functioning as the PC will allow your new preferred browser to perform activities. Follow these steps to reset this setting:
1. Open Safari and select the main Safari menu.
2. Then select Preferences and then General.
3. Under the Homepage heading, replace Bing with your preferred search engine.
Now you can browse with a search engine of your choice.
Method 3: Uninstall Unknown Apps
Some viruses have the capability of installing themselves without any approval so they enter your computer and disrupt the functioning of your browsers. You must uninstall these kinds of programs by:
1. Open the Applications folder on your PC.
2. Search and locate unknown apps.
3. Right-click on that app, and then click on Move to Bin.
4. Click on Use password or use your Touch ID to continue deleting the app.
5. Right-click on the bin and click on Empty Bin.
6. Click on the Empty Bin again to complete the uninstallation process.
This way you can get rid of any suspicious apps.
Method 4: Fix Website Redirection Settings
You can also try fixing some website settings as follows:
1. Open Safari on your Mac.
2. Go to Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data…
3. Select Remove All.
We assure you that these methods are foolproof and will definitely resolve your Bing redirect virus issue and get rid of browser hijackers. Now, let’s explore a few browser hijacker removal tools that will protect your system from these viruses in the future.
Also Read: How to Fix Apple Virus Warning Message
Best Browser Hijacker Removal Tools
As mentioned above, malware and other types of viruses can pose a huge security threat and even steal your personal data. But the good news is that there are multiple antivirus software that work efficiently to detect and eliminate malware from your device. Here are some of the best hijacker removal tools that you can insider to protect your system:
Malwarebytes prevent malware coders from writing software that steals personal information. This software kills tons of potential concerns by using its anti-exploit technology, which helps protect your computer from zero-day attacks and crashes files that target vulnerabilities in your browsers. The premium version of Malwarebytes costs $33.74 per year.
Avast offers one of the most competent internet protection to get rid of browser hijackers. This tool has six layers of protection that effortlessly run smart scans on software, files, and apps to find vulnerabilities, along with analyzing suspicious files in the cloud, getting threat alerts, and more. Additionally, most of the services of this antivirus are free.
Kaspersky Anti-Virus offers web filtering that blocks dangerous URLs, detects and removes threats, monitors smart technologies, and tracks and reverses malicious actions. The best features of Kaspersky are automatic scans, drive-by crypto mining infection prevention, and simplified security management. Moreover, this anti-virus tool has regularly received top ratings at sites like AV-Comparatives.
TotalAV is an award-winning antivirus, for advanced, dynamic, and around-the-clock protection. The best feature of this antivirus is that it offers real-time protection by monitoring downloads, installs, and executables for viruses & threats each time your computer accesses them. Additionally, it blocks suspicious ads that contain threats to harm your computer.
Also Read: Fix Avast Not Updating Virus Definitions
We hope this guide on how do I stop Bing from hijacking my browser has helped you understand the basics of establishing a safe browsing experience. To avoid this problem in the future, it is better to install an ideal antivirus to protect your system. Stay tuned to Techcult for more such solutions.