Innovation and revolution in the smartphone market have been boundless in the past few years. However, the balance between convenience, experience, and security has always been crucial for users. Apple’s Touch ID brought forth a secure and convenient way to unlock a phone. However, the iPhone X witnessed significant changes to its design, and Touch ID was replaced by Face ID. This left users interested in the release of the iPhone 11 with the question of whether it has Touch ID for fingerprint security or not. Let’s find out!
Does iPhone 11 Have Touch ID?
No, the iPhone 11 does not feature Touch ID. When Apple unveiled the iPhone X in 2017, they ditched the physical Home button, which also integrated a fingerprint sensor. Hence, Touch ID was removed. Apple neither brought it back with iPhone 11 nor might do with future iPhone models.
Presently, Touch ID has been phased out by Face ID. Removing the home button allowed them to feature a larger edge-to-edge display and a sleek bezel-less design. You can also unlock iPhone 11 using a passcode or FaceID.
Which iPhones Have Touch ID?
Commercially unveiled in 2013, iPhone 5S became the first phone to come with a Touch ID and since then it has witnessed two generations. The sensor used in the 2nd generation of Touch ID is claimed to be twice as fast as its predecessor. Here are the iPhones that have fingerprint security:
- iPhone 5S
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone SE (2016)
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (2020)
- iPhone SE (2022)
Except for iPhone 5S, iPhone 6 & 6 Plus, all other models incorporate the second-generation Touch ID.
Why Can’t You Find Touch ID on Your iPhone?
As we said, the iPhone 8/8 Plus was the last model to include Touch ID. After that, the physical home button was removed from upcoming models and so was Touch ID. Ultimately, if you own a successor iPhone model such as the iPhone X or beyond, this could be why you don’t see the Touch ID.
Also Read: How to Fix Ghost Touch on iPhone 11
Why Did Apple Remove Fingerprints?
Apple removed fingerprints, specifically Touch ID from iPhones in favor of Face ID. Facial recognition represents a leap forward in biometric technology. Apart from innovation, here are some factors that contributed to this decision:
- Larger Display: Back then, the smartphone market was slowly shifting its focus to bigger screens, smaller bezels, and edge-to-edge displays. Hence, the decision to remove the iconic Home button and the fingerprint sensor was to a better screen-to-body ratio while keeping the device compact as earlier.
- User Experience: They wanted to offer a frictionless user experience. Users could now unlock their devices and authenticate payments by simply looking at the screen.
- Security: With Face ID the aim was to introduce an additional layer of security by combining facial recognition with device passcodes.
How Do You Set up and Activate Touch ID on iPhone?
If your iPhone supports Touch ID, follow the steps mentioned below to activate it.
Note: Make sure your hands are clean and free from dirt and moisture.
1. Launch Settings on the iPhone.
2. Tap on Touch ID & Passcode and enter your passcode when prompted.
3. Tap on Add a Fingerprint.
4. Place your finger on the Home button for the sensor to detect your fingerprint and follow the on-screen instructions.
5. Once done, tap on Continue and enter the passcode if prompted.
That’s it! Now you can use Touch ID to unlock your device and also make purchases.
Note: You can add up to 5 fingerprints. So, save it and add another one if preferred.
How Do You Set up and Activate Touch ID on iPhone 11?
Well, you cannot set up or activate Touch ID on iPhone 11 as there is no fingerprint sensor and touch ID feature available on it. Touch ID is only available on iPhone 8 series and earlier.
Is Apple Bringing Back Touch ID?
The return of Touch ID to the iPhone has been a topic of discussion among Apple users and tech-savvy analysts. While some users prefer the convenience of Touch ID, others appreciate the security of Face ID.
There are rumors that Apple has been testing the possibility of bringing back the Touch ID with an in-display sensor to its high-end iPhone models. However, it is unlikely to happen anytime soon. Until there is any official announcement, there are only speculations.
As of now, you still get Touch ID on iPhone SE (2nd generation) and (3rd generation), iPad (Mini, Air, and Pro), and MacBook lineup. While its future on iPhone remains uncertain, it is clear that Apple is exploring various options to improve the user experience and security of its device.
Also Read: Best Waterproof Cases for iPhone 11 Pro
Will iPhone 14 Have Touch ID? Does iPhone 14 Have a Fingerprint sensor?
Apple’s iPhone 14 series was launched in 2022 with iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, and iPhone 14 Pro Max. None of the models in the series have Touch ID. Instead, the iPhone 14 relies solely on Face ID sensors for biometric authentication.
Why is Touch ID on iPhone Not Working?
Touch ID is a reliable and secure way to unlock your iPhone. However, there can be several reasons if you are experiencing issues with it, such as:
- Wet Finger or Dirty Sensor: If you’re trying to use Touch ID with wet or oily fingers or the sensor is dirty, it may not work properly. Wipe your fingers and Clean the Home button with a soft, dry cloth. See if that solves the issue.
- Damaged Sensor: Physical damage can cause the fingerprint sensor in the Home button to stop working. In case the screen is broken or there is some internal damage to the home button, you may need to repair or replace it.
- Obstructed Touch ID Sensor: Sometimes the phone case or screen protector also obstructs the sensor. Remove them and try again.
- Outdated iOS: Using an outdated version of iOS can cause compatibility issues or provoke chances of glitches and bugs that could affect the Touch ID.
- Incorrect Settings: If fingerprints are not properly registered or have changed over time, they might not be detected by the sensor. Moreover, it might also happen if Touch ID is disabled on the device.
- Excessive Usage: As an added security measure, if you’ve used Touch ID extensively and haven’t entered your passcode in a while, the device might require you to do the same to unlock the device. Once done, you can use the Touch ID as well.
Also Read: Does iPhone Erase After 10 Attempts?
Is Face ID More Secure than Touch ID?
When it comes to security, Face ID and Touch ID are both highly advanced biometric authentication methods. However, there are some key differences to consider.
Face ID uses a TrueDepth camera system that maps and analyzes your facial features to create a unique and accurate 3D faceprint. It employs infrared technology to detect and authenticate your face, even in low-light conditions. Algorithmically, it provides a higher level of security, making it extremely difficult for someone to unlock your device without your authorization.
On the other hand, Touch ID relies on a fingerprint sensor embedded in the device’s Home button. It scans and analyzes your fingerprint to create a unique biometric profile. Touch ID has also proven to be highly secure, with a very low false positive rate.
Ultimately, the choice between Face ID and Touch ID is based on personal preference. Some people may find the speed and convenience of Face ID more appealing, while others may prefer the tactile experience of Touch ID.
Recommended: Can You Add a Date Stamp to iPhone Photos?
That is it for this article. We hope you got the answer to whether does iPhone 11 have a Touch ID. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments box below. For more such tech-related information, stay connected to TechCult.