Are you considering selling or recycling your old laptop? You might be surprised to discover its true value, especially if it’s still in good working condition. In this guide, we will discuss whether old laptops are worth anything to make money from selling them.
Table of Contents
Are Old Laptops Worth Anything?
Yes, old laptops can hold value depending on their condition and functionality. If your laptop still turns on and its components are in working condition, you can sell it for a reasonable price. Many people prefer buying used laptops to save money compared to purchasing new ones.
Is There Anything Valuable in Old Computers?
Old computers can have valuable metals like gold, copper, and aluminum that can be sold for a good amount of money. However, newer laptops may have fewer precious metals. Extracting and selling these metals can be time-consuming, so it’s recommended to seek expert assistance.
Can You Make Money from Old Laptops?
Yes, old laptops are worth something, and you can make money from old laptops by:
- Selling them
- Exchanging them for discounts on new laptops
- Participating in trade-in programs for gift cards
- Selling individual components if they are still functional
What to Do Before Getting Rid of an Old Laptop?
There are a few things that you should do before selling or recycling your old laptop, to keep your personal information safe.
- Back up your personal data you want to keep: Selling your old laptop means getting your hands out of the stored data. You may want to back up any data that you want to keep by purchasing an external hard drive. You can also choose to back up your files with online storage services like Google Drive, iCloud, or Dropbox.
- De-authorize or transfer any registered programs: If you have premium subscriptions to specific programs like Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, iTunes, Antivirus Premium, and so on, you need to de-authorize them on your old laptop before selling them. It creates a room for you to transfer them into your new laptop or computer, by signing in with your account on your new device.
- Delete your browser history and saved passwords: It will certainly not be worth it if your banking passwords and other personal information go into the hands of the buyer through your old laptop. Hence, you should clear your browser history and delete all saved passwords before disposing of or selling your laptop.
- Uninstall all programs: Programs like Microsoft Word and Excel may store your personal data, which you do not want the buyer to know. Programs like Steam may store your credit card information. To get rid of any such information being leaked to the buyer, it is a good practice to uninstall every program from your laptop before selling it.
- Reset your laptop and format your drive: After you have backed all your important files up, reset your laptop and completely wipe your hard drive.
Also Read: How to Password Protect a Folder in Mac
What Will IT Companies Do with Old Laptops?
IT companies have a lot of options to use old laptops that are worth it, including:
- Reuse: IT companies follow This most common practice with old laptops in working condition. The old laptops are redistributed to other staff or employees to squeeze the most out of the laptops.
- Repurpose: Big IT companies have a separate team to maintain and distribute hardware components. Working parts from old laptops may be transferred to a newer laptop to keep it working.
- Lease: Big IT companies often lease old laptops to newer startups who do not have the funding to buy new laptops for their employees.
- Refurbish and sell: Companies may refurbish old laptops by fixing any abnormalities and dead components. The refurbished laptops are then tested by experts and finally sold for a lower price than the market price.
- Recycle: If all other options are exhausted, recycling old laptops is what IT companies resort to.
What Cool Things Can You Do with an Old Laptop?
If you are reluctant to sell or recycle your old laptop, here are a few cool things that you can try out that are worth it!
- Use it as a second monitor: We love working with dual monitors. If your old laptop’s screen is perfectly working, you may use it as an external monitor. It greatly optimizes your workflow, whether you are using a Mac or PC.
- Use it as a streaming device: You may convert your old laptop into a hub of the greatest movies and TV shows. Connect your laptop to the HDMI port of your TV, and now your laptop can stream videos from Netflix or Amazon Prime Video directly on your TV.
- Use it as a backup storage device: If your hard drive has not crashed, you can use your old laptop as a backup storage device. Store all your memories in the form of pictures and videos seamlessly on your old laptop, and view them when you want to revisit your memories.
- Turn it into a digital photo frame: It looks cool on old laptops. You may refer to various online tutorials to turn your old laptop into one.
- Convert it into a Game server: If you want to create a safe gaming environment for your family, you can turn your old laptop into a CSGO or Minecraft server.
- Convert it into a CCTV camera: If your webcam works fine, you may use your laptop camera as a CCTV camera for additional security in your home or office.
Also Read: Disadvantages of Refurbished Laptops
We hope our comprehensive guide has addressed your questions on whether old laptops are worth anything or not. With these tips, you can maximize the potential of your old laptop in the marketplace. Share your thoughts in the comments below, and continue exploring our website for informative articles.