How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10: MBR stands for Master Boot Record which uses the standard BIOS partition table whereas GPT stands for the GUID Partition Table which was introduced as a part of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). Although GPT is considered better than MBR due to the limitations of MBR which is it can’t support disk size larger than 2 TB, you cannot create more than 4 partitions on an MBR Disk, etc.
Now older operating systems still support MBR partition style and chances are if you are using an old system then your system already has an MBR Disk partition. Also, if you want to use 32-bit Windows then it won’t work with the GPT Disk and in that case, you need to convert your disk from GPT to MBR. Anyway, without wasting any time let’s see How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 with the help of the below-listed tutorial.
Table of Contents
How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Diskpart [Data Loss]
1. Press Windows Key + X then select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type Diskpart and hit Enter to open Diskpart utility.
3. Now type the following command one by one and hit Enter after each one:
list disk (Note down the number of the disk which you want to convert from GPT to MBR)
select disk # (Replace the # with the number which you noted down above)
clean (Running the clean command will delete all partitions or volumes on the disk)
4. The “covert mbr” command will convert an empty basic disk with the GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition style into a basic disk with the Master Boot Record (MBR) partition style.
5. Now you need to create a New Simple Volume on the unallocated MBR disk.
This is How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 without the help of any third-party tools.
Method 2: Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Disk Management [Data Loss]
- Press Windows Key + R then type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Disk Management.
2. Under Disk Management, select the Disk which you want to convert then make sure right-click on each of its partitions and select Delete Partition or Delete Volume. Do this until only unallocated space is left on the desired disk.
Note: You will only able to convert a GPT disk to MBR if the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes.
3. Next, right-click on the unallocated space and select “Convert to MBR Disk” option.
4. Once the disk is converted to MBR, then you can create a New Simple Volume.
Method 3: Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk Using MiniTool Partition Wizard [Without Data Loss]
MiniTool Partition Wizard is a paid tool but you can use the MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition to convert your disk from GPT to MBR.
1. Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition from this link.
2. Next, double-click on the MiniTool Partition Wizard application to launch it then click on Launch Application.
3. Now from the left-hand side click on “Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk” under Convert Disk.
4. In the right window select the disk # (# being the disk number) which you want to convert then click on the Apply button from the menu.
5. Click Yes to confirm and the MiniTool Partition Wizard will start converting your GPT Disk to MBR Disk.
6. Once finished, it will show the successful message, just click OK to close it.
7. You can now close MiniTool Partition Wizard and restart your PC.
This is How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 without data loss using MiniTool Partition Wizard.
Method 4: Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk Using EaseUS Partition Master [Without Data Loss]
1. Download and Install EaseUS Partition Master Free Trial from this link.
2. Double-click on the EaseUS Partition Master application to launch it and then from the left-hand side menu click on “Convert GPT to MBR” under Operations.
3. Select the disk # (# being the disk number) which you want to convert then click on Apply button from the menu.
4. Click Yes to confirm and the EaseUS Partition Master will start converting your GPT Disk to MBR Disk.
5. Once finished, it will show the successful message, just click Ok to close it.
- Convert MBR to GPT Disk Without Data Loss in Windows 10
- Enable or Disable Enforce Disk Quota Limits in Windows 10
- How to Use Disk Cleanup in Windows 10
- Enable or Disable Disk Quotas in Windows 10
That’s it you have successfully learned How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 but if you still have any queries regarding this tutorial then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.