If you have recently updated your PC then you might see a strange problem where your Windows Setting window won’t open, even though you found yourself continuously clicking on the Setting link. Even if you press the shortcut keys (Windows Key + I) to open Settings, then Settings app will not launch or open. In some cases, users are reporting that the Windows Store app opens up in place of the Settings app, even though they are clicking on Settings.
Microsoft is aware of this issue and has launched a troubleshooter which seems to fix the issue in many cases but if unfortunately, you are still stuck with this problem then this guide is for you. So without wasting any time let’s see how to actually Fix Windows Settings won’t open in Windows 10 with the help of the below-listed troubleshooting guide.
Table of Contents
Fix Windows 10 Settings won’t open
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Update: Microsoft has released Cumulative Update for Windows 10 KB3081424 includes a fix that will prevent this issue from occurring.
Method 1: Run Microsoft Troubleshooter
1. Click here to download the Troubleshooter.
2. Run the Troubleshooter and see if you are able to fix the issue.
3. Press Windows Key + X then select Command Prompt (Admin).
4. Type the following command into cmd and hit Enter:
5. Wait for the update process to start, if it doesn’t try the command a few more times.
6. Reboot your PC to save changes.
Method 2: Make sure Windows is up to date
1. Press Windows Key + I then select Update & Security.
2. Next, again click Check for updates and make sure to install any pending updates.
3. After the updates are installed reboot your PC and see if you’re able to Fix Windows Settings won’t open.
Method 3: Create a New User Account
1. Press Windows Key + X then select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Type the following command into cmd and hit Enter:
net user username password /add
Note: Replace username and password with the new account username and the password you want to set for that account.
3. Once the user is created you will see a success message, now you need to add the new user account to the Administrator group. To do so type the following command in cmd and hit Enter:
net localgroup administrators username /add
Note: Replace username with the account username you set up in step 2.
4. Now press Ctrl + Alt + Del together and then click Sign out and then sign in to your new account with the username and password you specified in step 2.
5. Check if you are able to open the Settings app and if you are successful then copy your personal data & files to the new account.
Recommended for you:
- Fix Printer Installation Error 0x000003eb
- How To Fix NETWORK_FAILED in Chrome
- Fix Google Chrome error He’s Dead, Jim!
- Fix ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED in Chrome
That’s it you have successfully Fix Windows Settings won’t open but if you still have any queries regarding this guide then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.