Social media has become an inseparable part of our lives. It is fair to say that our social media accounts are an extension of our selves. Our digital presence is a part of our identity. Among all social media apps and websites that are available, no other website caters to the needs of young adults like Instagram. It is a beautiful platform for sharing images, vlogs, creating stories, meeting new people, and expanding our reach. The app was recently purchased by Facebook and had over one billion active users all over the world.
However, Instagram can behave strangely sometimes. At one time or the other, you might have come across the error message “Instagram couldn’t refresh feed” while trying to scroll through your feed for new posts and pictures. This is a frustrating error that prevents new content from loading on to your device. Although most of the time, the error is caused by some error in Instagram’s server, there are certain things that you can do to resolve the issue quickly. After all, there is no harm in trying a few tricks instead of simply waiting for Instagram to fix it when they do.
Table of Contents
Fix Instagram Couldn’t refresh feed Error on Android
Method 1: Check your Internet Connectivity
To work correctly, Instagram needs a stable internet connection. Without internet connectivity, it would not be able to load new posts and refresh your feed. To check internet connectivity, simply open YouTube and see if you can play a video. If not, then you need to reset your Wi-Fi connection or switch to your mobile data. You can even switch on and then switch off the Airplane mode. This will allow your mobile networks to reset and then reconnect. If your internet is working properly and you are still experiencing the same problem, then move on to the next solution.
Method 2: Clear Cache and Data for Instagram
Every app stores some data in the form of cache files. These files are used to save different kinds of information and data. Apps generate cache files to reduce their loading/startup time. Some basic data is saved so that when opened, the app can display something quickly. However, sometimes these residual cache files get corrupted and cause apps to malfunction. When you are experiencing a problem with Instagram, you can always try clearing the cache and data for the app. Follow these steps to remove the cache and data files for Instagram.
1. Go to the Settings of your phone then tap on the Apps option.
2. Now, select the Instagram app from the list of apps.
3. Now, click on the Storage option.
4. You will now see the options to clear data and clear cache. Tap on the respective buttons, and the said files will be deleted.
5. Now, exit settings and try using the Instagram app again and see if you’re able to fix Instagram couldn’t refresh feed error on Android.
Method 3: Restart your Phone
The most basic and simplest solution to every Android related problem is rebooting/restarting your phone. Often a simple restart can fix complex problems, remove bugs, and eliminate glitches. So, give the old “Have you tried turning it OFF and ON again” a try. Hold down your power button until the power menu comes up and click on the Restart/Reboot option. Once the phone restarts, open the Instagram app and refresh your feed, and check if the problem still persists.
Method 4: Update the App
The next thing that you can do is to update your app. Irrespective of whatever problem you are facing, updating it from the Play Store can solve it. A simple app update often solves the problem as the update might come with bug fixes to resolve the issue.
1. Go to the Play Store.
2. On the top left-hand side, you will find three horizontal lines. Click on them.
3. Now, click on the “My Apps and Games” option.
4. Search for Instagram and check if there are any pending updates. If yes, then click on the update button.
5. Once the app gets updated, try using it again and check if it works properly or not.
Method 5: Uninstall and then Re-install
If updating the app didn’t work or there wasn’t any update available in the first place, then you need to uninstall the app, and they install it again from the Play Store. Follow the steps given below to see how:
1. Open the Settings on your phone.
2. Now, go to the Apps section.
3. Search for Instagram and tap on it.
4. Now, click on the Uninstall button.
5. Once the app has been removed, download and install the app again from the Play Store.
Method 6: Log out of Instagram in a Browser
A lot of Android users have claimed that logging in and then logging out of your Instagram account in a browser has solved the problem. Instagram, just like other social media platforms, is a website first and an app later. Therefore, it is possible to open Instagram on an internet browser like Chrome or Firefox. You can either use your phone’s browser or use a computer for this purpose.
1. Simply open the web browser that you use on your Android phone or your computer.
2. Now, type Instagram in the search bar and press enter.
3. Open the login page for Instagram and sign in with your username and password.
4. Once you have logged in, simply log out.
5. Now, open your Instagram app again and see if you’re able to fix Instagram couldn’t refresh feed error on Android.
Recommended: How to Fix Google app not working on Android
Method 7: Wait for Instagram to Fix it
As mentioned earlier, most of the time, the reason behind this problem is due to server-related problems on Instagram’s side. There isn’t much that you can do about it other than wait. If you still encounter the same error message even after trying all these solutions, then you just have to wait. Usually, Instagram fixes problems like these in a couple of hours or maximum within a day. So, we would ask to be a little patient as Instagram works on fixing the problem. They might even release a new update with bug fixes. Make sure to download any new updates that Instagram sends your way.