In the age of data threats and hijacking, corrupt browsers stealing personal information have become rampant. That’s why it’s important to have complete knowledge of any new browsers. This review of Wave browser will answer user queries like what is it used for and is it really safe to use.
What is Wave Browser and What is it Used for?
Developed in 2015, Wave Browser is a possibly harmful piece of software that looks like a web browser. Since then, a lot of people have experienced problems as a result of it. It works like a normal browser used to access search engines and the internet in general. It is frequently used to log into several online platforms without the user’s knowledge of what it does in the background, such as altering privacy settings and extracting personal data.
Who Created the Wave Browser?
A business named Polarity Technologies LTD developed the Wave Browser. Polarity Technologies is a Chinese subsidiary. By providing special features and a well-thought-out user interface, the browser was able to garner a significant amount of user interaction.
Is Wave Browser Legit?
It is not a legitimate or safe browser. It is claimed as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). It can also be installed without permission which leads to security issues and corrupts the data on your device.
Also Read: How to Get Internet Browser on Roku
Is the Wave Browser Safe or is it a Virus?
The browser particularly is not regarded as a virus, but it is not safe either. It can take your data like browsing history, IP address, and bank details. It can also change your settings by accessing your device. The advertisements displayed by it are also considered malicious. It is popularly known as a browser hijacker as your device can easily become vulnerable to malware.
What are the Signs of the Wave Browser Virus?
Different signs can indicate that you have Wave Browser virus available on your device:
- Get unwanted ads and popups while browsing, indicating that a specific browser has been affected
- Redirect to unwanted sites and pages
- See sudden changes in browser settings
- Changes in the homepage of your default browser or your search engine
- Slows down the device and decreases performance
- Unwanted apps and programs on your device that you didn’t install
How Can Wave Browser Get Downloaded on My Device?
It can be downloaded on your device for a couple of reasons either it is installed intentionally by you from the official site, or it came as a bundle file while you were downloading some other file or program.
Also Read: How to Update Microsoft Edge Browser
How to Uninstall Wave Browser
Being considered malicious and unsafe, it is advisable to uninstall the Wave Browser from your device as soon as possible. Refer to these steps to uninstall it from different devices:
Option 1: On Windows
Follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the browser from Windows:
1. Right-click on Start menu and click on Installed apps.
2. Search for the Wave Browser on the list and click on the three dots next to it.
3. Select Uninstall.
4. Now, right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
5. Now, search for the apps or processes related to the Wave Browser in the search bar.
6. If you find any, right-click on it and select End task.
7. Click on Startup apps from the left panel in the task manager.
8. If you see anything related to the Wave Browser, right-click on it and then select Disable.
9. Press Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
10. Type regedit on the text box and click OK.
11. Press CTRL +F keys, search Wave in the text box and click on Find Next.
12. If there’s any file related to the browser, right-click on it and click on Delete.
13. Lastly, run a malware scan on your Windows.
Now, the Wave browser will be deleted from your System.
Option 2: On Mac
Follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the browser from Mac completely:
1. Go to Finder and click on Applications on the left panel.
2. Click on the search icon at the top right corner.
3. Now, click on the plus icon and type Wave again.
4. Click on the plus icon again and select System files and are included in the drop-down menu this time. This will open all files related to Wave Browser on your Mac.
Note: If you cannot find System Files in the drop-down menu, select Others and type System files in the search bar.
5. Select all files of your choice and drag them to the trash.
This way every single Wave browser file will get deleted from your Mac.
Option 3: On Android
Follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the browser from Android.
Note: Since smartphones don’t have the same Settings options and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, ensure the correct settings before changing any. These steps were performed on One Plus Nord CE2 Lite.
1. Long press on the Wave Browser app.
2. Tap on Uninstall.
3. Tap on OK to confirm.
Option 4: On iPhone
Follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the Wave Browser from your iPhone:
1. Long press on the Wave Browser app.
2. Tap on Remove App.
3. Tap on Delete App to confirm.
Option 5: From Chrome
Follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the Wave Browser from Chrome:
1. Open Chrome on your device and type Chrome://extensions in the search bar.
2. Click on Remove below the Wave Browser extension.
3. Click on Remove in the pop-up.
4. Type Chrome://settings and press Enter.
5. Click on Reset settings from the left side followed by Restore settings to their original defaults.
The browser will be removed and settings will go back to normal in Chrome.
Option 6: From Firefox
Follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the browser from Firefox:
1. Open Firefox on your device, search about:addons and press Enter.
2. Click on the three dots along the Wave Browser extension and select Remove.
3. Type about:support in the search bar and press Enter.
4. Click on Refresh Firefox.
5. Click on Confirm.
The browser will be removed and settings will go back to normal in Firefox.
How to Prevent Wave Browser Virus
To prevent Wave Browser virus, you can follow the following steps:
- Only download reputable software from trusted sites
- Download all browser extensions from a legitimate and reputable site and remove them if not in use
- Use a VPN like NordVPN to browse on the internet
- Update your operating system and software regularly
- Always use anti-malware and antivirus and run malware scans on your device from time to time
- Do not click or open any random ad or link
We hope this article helped you understand what is Wave Browser used for and if is it safe. Keep reading our blogs for more information. Leave your suggestions and queries below in the comment section.