Now, you can call your friends and family whenever you want. The reason for this is technology and advancement in technology. We began with 1G and now use 5G for the internet. Earlier, we used to make calls through cellular networks, but now we can make calls through WiFi. So, technology has empowered us and made our life easy. Still, wondering how WiFi calling works? Do not worry because, in this article, we have answered all the questions that you have in your curious mind. Some of the questions that we will be dealing with in this article are is WiFi calling free, how does WiFi calling work on Android and how to enable WiFi calling on Android. So, continue reading.
Is WiFi Calling Free?
Yes, WiFi calling is free in the USA. So, if you are in the USA, you can make phone calls using WiFi. You also do not need to get another number if you want to make calls using it.
How WiFi Calling Works?
Once you enable the WiFi calling on your Smartphone, it will automatically identify the strongest network available after the dial. After it determines the strongest network, it will route the call through the strongest network, and this most robust network can be provided either by a cellular network or WiFi. So, enabling WiFi calling on your Smartphone does not mean that calls will always be made through WiFi. The idea is to provide you with the best service, so the focus is on ends and not means. And in most cases, the cellphone carrier will consider the WiFi call as a normal call and will not charge any extra fees from you.
How Does WiFi Calling Work on Android?
If you want to know how WiFi calling work on Android, then you can refer to how WiFi calling works mentioned above.
How to Enable WiFi Calling on Android?
If you want to know how to enable WiFi calling on Android, then you are at the right place. Because here, we have provided the steps along with pictures. So, please keep reading to know about it.
Note: The steps mentioned below are performed on Samsung Galaxy S21 5G.
1. Tap on the Settings icon.
2. Tap on the Connections icon.
3. After that, toggle on Wi-Fi Calling.
We hope that now you know how to enable WiFi calling on Android.
Also Read: How to Change WiFi Network Name
What are Disadvantages of WiFi Calling?
Everything in life has pros and cons, and so is WiFi calling. It is a great option, but it too has disadvantages. So, let us discuss the disadvantages of WiFi calling:
- Unreliable signal strength in public settings: Since the bandwidth of WiFi in the public area is shared by many, the quality of the internet you get may be impacted. So, you cannot always rely on WiFi calling, especially in the public area. This is one of the disadvantages.
- WiFi Hotspots are not always there: Internet penetration has increased, but it does not mean that all areas have WiFi connections. So, still, some locations do not have WiFi access. And, if you travel to these areas and have to stay at these places where WiFi connections are not there, you will not be able to access this feature.
- WiFi calling not available: Some mobile devices (particularly the older models) and mobile carriers still do not provide this feature.
- Data usage fees: If you lose your WiFi connection and a call falls back to your data plan when you are not utilising your home or business internet connection for WiFi calling, you can be exposed to access fees or unforeseen expenses.
- Restriction on international calls: WiFi calling may not be supported in many countries.
What are the Advantages of WiFi Calling?
The advantages of WiFi calling are listed below:
- It acts as a backup option. So, in case the cellular network is poor, it will allow you to call and make you feel connected with your friends and family.
- You need not download any app from Play Store or App Store to use this feature. Wondering how it is an advantage? It is an advantage because it will not use any of the storage on your Smartphone since it is an inbuilt feature.
- It will help your Smartphone battery to stay longer.
- You will not have to pay anything extra if you make a WiFi call inside the US, as the prices are included in the monthly voice plan. So, we have answered is WiFi calling free from this advantage also.
- It is a reliable option, especially if you live in a home connected to WiFi.
- You do not need another number to access this feature because it uses your existing phone number.
Also Read: Does Tracfone Use Minutes on WiFi?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Should I leave WiFi calling on all the time?
Ans. Yes, you can leave WiFi calling on all the time.
Q2. Is WiFi calling a good idea?
Ans. Yes, WiFi calling is a good idea if you are at home and the cellular services in your area are not good. Also, you do not need to install any third-party applications to access this feature.
Q3. Is WiFi calling risky?
Ans. No, WiFi calling is not risky. The reason for it is that the mobile carrier encrypts your voice. So you do not have to worry about privacy when making a WiFi call.
Q4. Should I have WiFi calling on or off?
Ans. Yes, you can turn on WiFi calling on your Smartphone.
Q5. What is the downside of WiFi calling?
Ans. We have listed the disadvantages of WiFi calling above. So, refer to the article to know about it.
Q6. What happens if I turn on WiFi calling?
Ans. If you turn on WiFi calling your phone will detect whether the cellular network or WiFi network is strong. After it detects, it will make a call through the strongest network provider.
- 21 Best Apps to Download Videos from Any Site
- How to Unlock Cable Box Channels
- 8 Fixes to Wi-Fi Calling Error ER01 Invalid Certificate
- 17 Best WiFi Calling App for Android
We hope that this article helped you in resolving your query about is WiFi calling free. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.