GIFs (Graphics Interchange Format) are short, looping animations that add emotions, reactions, and humor to words. Considering its popularity in online communication, Instagram enabled the GIF feature on its platform for iOS users. However, many people are still unsure about how to post a GIF on Instagram on iPhone. We are here, right? We’ll guide you through not just posting, but also making a GIF for Instagram. Keep reading this guide to the end.
How to Post a GIF on Instagram from iPhone
Posting a GIF on a social media site is an easy process. Nowadays, media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat have updated themselves with in-built GIFs that can be used to put up as a story. There are multiple ways of using GIFs on Instagram from your iPhone. Let us look into these different ways in detail below.
Use the following steps to add a GIF on your Instagram stories:
1. Add a photo on Instagram story, and tap on the Sticker icon.
2. Hit the GIF option and search and select a GIF of your choice.
3. Finally, tap on Your story icon.
Method 1: Upload a GIF from Gallery of Your iPhone
As GIFs are a popular way to express oneself, it’s no surprise that many users enjoy downloading and saving them on their devices. If you happen to have a GIF saved in your iPhone’s Gallery, you can easily post it to your Instagram Stories.
1. Open Instagram on your phone and tap on the Your story option at the top-left corner.
2. Next, tap on the Photos box at the bottom-right corner as shown in the picture to access the Gallery.
3. Navigate to the GIF you want to add and tap on it.
4. Once the GIF is added, tap on the Your story option and post it.
Note: You can add other elements as well like text, images, or filters of your choice before posting it.
Method 2: Use Instagram’s GIF Library
Instagram has an in-built GIF library powered by GIPHY. It has an extensive range of collections and can detect a GIF of exactly what is being searched for. You can use it to post a GIF on Instagram.
1. First, Upload or Click a photo on Instagram story. Do not post it.
2. Tap on the Sticker Icon at the top.
3. Now, hit the GIF option.
4. Either use the search bar and search for a GIF of your choice, or choose one from the available GIFs.
5. Finally, tap on Your story to post the GIF on the story.
Method 3: Post GIF to Instagram Story with Boomerang
You might be familiar with the super short videos on Instagram, the Boomerang. Sharing GIFs on Boomerang is fun and it makes the Boomerang clip on the story more attractive. Let’s see how can you add GIF to a Boomerang.
1. Open the Instagram app on the iPhone and tap on Your story at the top-right corner.
2. Now, hit the boomerang icon on the right-hand side.
3. Next, shoot your boomerang by hitting the shutter button.
4. Once you have shot a boomerang, hit the Sticker icon at the top and choose the GIF you want to add.
5. Tap on the GIF to insert it and then on Your story to post.
Method 4: Use a Third-Party App
In addition to all the aforementioned methods, you can also use a third-party app like GIPHY to post a GIF of your choice on Instagram. GIPHY is the world’s largest library of free GIFs, clips, and stickers. Although Instagram’s GIF library is already integrated with it, you can use the app separately as well for more collections of amazing GIFs.
Note: We do not endorse any such apps; therefore, use these at your discretion.
1. First, tap on GET to download GIPHY from the App Store of your iPhone.
2. Once downloaded, sign up or log in to the app using your Facebook account.
3. Now, browse the GIFs of your choice or use the popular ones in GIPHY. You can also use keywords to search GIFs.
4. Once you have selected the GIF, tap on the Share button.
5. Select Instagram to share the GIF and allow access to your camera roll.
6. Finally, open Instagram and select if you want to post GIF to your feed or as a story.
Also Read: 12 Ways to Fix Discord GIFs Not Working
How to Make a GIF on iPhone for Instagram
You can not only post one but also make a GIF on iPhone for Instagram. There are two ways to do this. The first one is with photos and the second one is with videos on your iPhone.
Method 1: Make a GIF on iPhone with Photos
Follow these steps to create a GIF with photos:
1. Open the Camera app on the iPhone and shot a live photo by selecting the live photo icon at the top-right corner.
2. Next, in the Photos app and scroll down and open Live Photos.
3. Now, select the photo that you would like to create a GIF from.
4. Then, hit the LIVE option at the top-left corner.
5. From the drop-down menu, tap on Bounce.
Note: You can also select Loop to make your photo into GIF.
Finally, the GIF will be created and you will be able to share it as a story or post it on your Instagram feed.
Method 2: Make a GIF on iPhone with Videos
Apart from photos, you can also use videos from your camera roll and turn them into GIFs. For this, you have to download a third-party app like GIPHY on your phone.
1. First, tap on GET to download GIPHY from the App Store of the iPhone.
2. Sign up or log in to the app using your Facebook credentials.
3. Now, launch the app and tap on the create icon at the top.
4. Next, hit the photos icon in the bottom right of the screen to select the video of your choice.
5. Once done, you can customize your GIF like add a filter, writing a caption, pre-made art, art phrases, trimming a GIF, and more.
6. Then, tap on the purple icon button and select Upload to GIPHY on the next page.
7. Next, tap on the three-dot icon and select Save to Camera Roll from the menu.
8. Finally, open Instagram and post the downloaded GIF as a story or a post.
Also Read: How to Download GIF from GIPHY
How to Send GIFs in Instagram DMs
Instagram not only lets you post GIFs but also allows you to send GIFs in DMs. This makes the chat more engaging and entertaining.
1. Open the Instagram app and hit the Messenger icon at the top-right corner.
2. Now, Search for the chat to whom you want to send a GIF.
3. Open the chat window and hit the sticker icon as shown in the picture.
4. Now, tap on the GIF icon at the bottom.
5. Choose a GIF and hit Send.
That’s it, the GIF will be sent to the chat.
- Are Blink Cameras Secure
- 4 Ways to Save GIFs on Android Phone
- How to Send GIFs in Slack
- 19 Best Free GIF Editors
Posting a story on Instagram is entertaining. When you know how to post a GIF on Instagram from iPhone you can create prettier and more creative stories than you used to. It’s time to unleash your creativity and upload amazing GIFs to Instagram. Don’t forget to tag us too. Thank you for reading. Before you exit, feel free to drop your queries or feedback in the comments box below.