Age of Empires 2 is a popular game for its deep strategy and engaging historical setting, capturing the attention of gamers of all ages. However, if you’re trying to access it on Windows 7, you might encounter compatibility issues, given that it was designed for Windows 10. If you wonder how to get Age of Empires 2 to work on Windows 7 and play it smoothly, you’ve landed on the right page! This article delves into the workaround solution that can help you overcome this challenge.
How to Get Age of Empires 2 to Work on Windows 7
Both Age of Empires and Age of Empires 2 function effectively on Windows 7. However, some adjustments are necessary on the Windows 7 system for optimal gameplay. You can make a batch file to automatically end and restart the Explorer.exe process when you start or close the Age of Empires 2 game. However, this stops the Windows Explorer shell, which might temporarily affect your overall Windows usage.
If you want to know how to make Age of Empires 2 work on Windows 7 system, you need to follow the steps listed below:
Note 1: This method has drawbacks, like possible instability or unexpected behavior when the Explorer.exe process is terminated. Moreover, this method is tailored to Windows 7 and might not be effective or advised for newer Windows versions.
Note 2: Make sure to back up important data and exercise caution when dealing with system processes.
1. Press the Windows key from the keyboard and search for Notepad from the search bar.
2. Double-click on Notepad from the search results.
3. Type the following commands in the new Notepad file to kill the Explorer while starting and closing the Age of Empires 2 game.
@echo off taskkill /f /im explorer.exe start /wait age2_x1.exe start explorer.exe exit
4. Click on the File option from the top left corner and choose Save As… from the menu to save the above batch file.
5. Choose the Age of Empires 2 game folder as the location to save the file.
Note: The Age of Empires 2 application file should be in that folder, named age2_x1.
6. In the File name: field, enter age2_x1.bat.
Note: The extension .bat must be included.
7. From the drop-down menu next to the Save as type: field, choose the All files option.
8. Click on the Save option to save the batch file.
9. Now, open File Explorer and open the Age of Empires 2 game folder where you have saved the batch file.
10. Right-click on the batch file and click on the Run as administrator option from the context menu.
Note: The batch file will start running. A command window will open up for a moment and then will close instantly.
11. When the batch file execution is done, play the Age of Empires 2 game on your Windows 7 PC.
Also Read: How to Play Fortnite on Windows 7
After learning the workaround on the method of how to get Age of Empires 2 to work on Windows 7, you can now dive into exciting battles and plan your strategies in the game. Feel free to share your queries and suggestions in the comments section below. Happy gaming!