It can be frustrating when the iPhone home button stops working. There are various reasons why it stops working, and we have discussed them as well in this article. If your home button has also stopped working, don’t worry! In this article, we have discussed how you can fix iPhone home button not working issue or iPhone 11 home button not working problem. So, keep reading to learn iPhone home button not working how to reset.
How to Fix iPhone Home Button Not Working
You might face an iPhone home button not working issue either due to software problems or hardware problems. Now let’s discuss these causes in detail.
- If your iPhone’s OS is not updated or might have become corrupt or overloaded, this might lead to this problem.
- The other reason can be that dirt and grime might have accumulated thereby obstructing the functioning of the home button.
- Your home button is connected to the logic board through some cables, so the cables might be damaged thereby causing this issue.
You can try updating iOS version on your iPhone device. If that does not work, try recalibrating home button with these steps:
1. Open a default app on your iPhone and press and hold the Power button.
2. Press and hold the Home button till the time power off prompt disappears.
Now, let’s have a look at the methods discussed below to make yourself familiar with the ways to resolve the iPhone 11 home button not working issue:
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Before utilizing the advanced methods to fix the iPhone home button not working error, first, try out the basic troubleshooting methods mentioned in the following sections.
1A. Restart iPhone
Try to restart your device so that you can resolve iPhone 11 home button not working problem. When you restart, it will refresh your device from the glitches. You can read our article on How to Restart iPhone X.
1B. Force Restart iPhone
You can force restart your device if you are facing the iPhone home button not working after the water issue.
Option I: For iPhone 7 to 13
To force restart iPhone 7 to iPhone 13, you can read our article on How to Force Restart iPhone X.
Option II: For iPhone 6
To Force restart iPhone 6, follow the below-mentioned steps:
1. First, for around 5 seconds, press and hold the Home button and Power button of your device.
2. After that, when the Apple logo will appear on the screen, then release both buttons.
1C. Charge iPhone
Some people were able to fix iPhone home button not working issue after charging their device. So, you can try out this method to resolve the problem. What you have to do is connect your iPhone to the charger for some time and then after some time, remove the charger and check whether your home button started working.
1D. Clean Home Button with Isopropyl Alcohol
Note: This method will not work for iPhone 7, SE, or later models because they do not have a mechanical button.
There are chances that grime and dirt can build up on the home button, obstructing the mechanism. And you might come across iPhone home button not working issue.
1. Start with cleaning the home button by making use of a dry and clean microfiber cloth.
2. Dampen the cloth with 98 to 99 percent isopropyl alcohol.
Note: The isopropyl alcohol evaporates in the air, so it will not create issue with your iPhone.
3. Gently rub the dampened cloth on the home button while repeatedly clicking the home button so that alcohol loosens or removes dirt or grime by working its way inside.
1E. Press Against the Home Button with Charging Cable
Note: Be very careful while performing this method as you do not want to damage any component of your iPhone.
You can try to fix iPhone home button not working issue by putting a little pressure around the home button area. To learn how you can do this continue reading.
1. First, you have to insert the charging cable of your iPhone.
2. Then, press on the back of the connector gently, near the bottom of your device, as if you are pushing it towards the home button.
Note: Make sure that you keep that gentle pressure while you are clicking the home button.
Method 2: Recalibrate Home Button
You can recalibrate the Home Button to resolve the iPhone 11 home button not working issue. To make yourself familiar with how you can do this, comply with the steps given below:
2. Then, press and hold the Power button till the time Slide to power off option appears on your screen.
Note 1: You might also have to hold either Volume button at the same time if nothing appears.
Note 2: Make sure that you do not power off your device.
3. Press and hold the Home button till the time power off prompt disappears and the app quits.
Note: The steps discussed above should fix iPhone 6S and earlier physical home buttons that are not working, and also the touch-based home buttons on the iPhone 7 up to the iPhone SE. You can repeat the process many times if this fix did not work for you in one go.
Method 3: Update iOS
Update your iPhone OS (iOS) to fix iPhone home button not working issue. If you are still running outdated software, some software glitches can be developed on your iPhone thereby causing this issue.
So, to update your iPhone, read the steps mentioned below:
Note: Before updating your iPhone, ensure that you have a good internet connection.
1. Launch iPhone Settings.
2. Tap on the General option.
3. Next, tap on the Software Update option.
4. Tap on the Download and Install option.
Note: If a message appears asking you to temporarily remove apps because iOS needs more space for the update, tap on Continue or Cancel.
5A. If you want the update to occur immediately, tap on the Install option.
5B. Or, if you tap on Install Tonight and plug your iOS device into power before you sleep, your device will be updated automatically overnight.
Note: You are also given the option to install the software later by choosing to Remind Me Later.
Let’s see another method for iPhone home button not working how to reset.
Method 4: Restore iPhone via DFU Mode
The DFU mode stands for Device Firmware Update Mode. Follow the steps given below to restore the phone via Device Firmware Update mode to resolve iPhone home button not working issue.
Note: When you opt for this method, ensure that you have done your iPhone backup as this method would erase all the data from your device.
1. First, connect your iPhone to your PC.
2. Launch the iTunes app and switch off your iPhone.
3. Following that, press the Power button for a few seconds and then press the Volume Down button without releasing the Power button.
4. Then, continue holding both Power + Volume down buttons for about 10 seconds and then release the Power button but keep holding the Volume Down button for 5 seconds.
5. Now, if your iPhone screen is black and does not show recovery mode, your iPhone is entered successfully in DFU mode.
6. Next, tap on the Restore iPhone option to install a fresh OS.
Method 5: Perform Factory Reset
Note: Factory reset is an extreme measure and it can remove all information and content from your device. Thus, you are advised to back up your device data before the following steps.
iPhone home button not working issue can also be resolved if you factory reset your iPhone. If you want to restore your device to its original state where there is no iPhone home button not working after water issues, you can opt for the factory reset option. After the factory reset, you will need to start over again fresh.
Read and follow our guide on How to Factory Reset iPhone X to learn the steps for this method in detail.
Pro Tip: Enable AssistiveTouch
Another alternate method that you can make use of if you are facing iPhone home button not working issue is by making use of the Assistive touch home button on your device. This feature will not fix your home button, but you can make use of your iPhone without a home button that is not working.
To learn how to add Assistive Touch Home Button, follow the discussed steps:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on the Accessibility option.
3. Tap on the Touch option.
Note: If you own an older version of iOS, then you have to navigate to Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch.
4. Tap on the AssistiveTouch option.
5. Next, turn on the toggle on the AssistiveTouch option. After this, a semi-transparent icon will be visible on your screen.
6. Tap on the AssistiveTouch icon to see the popup menu,
7. Then, tap on the Home option to simulate pressing the home button.
Note: You can drag and drop the AssistiveTouch icon where ever you like on your screen. Besides that, you can also make use of the Siri option on your device to turn it on and off as per your choice.
It is how you can perform the iPhone home button not working how to reset methods.
How to Unlock iPhone 7 When Home Button Not Working?
To make yourself familiar with iPhone 7 home button not working how to unlock, read the methods given below:
Method 1: Using Touch ID
Use the Touch ID option instead of pressing the home button to unlock your iPhone. To know more about iPhone 7 home button not working how to unlock, carefully read the steps we have mentioned below:
1. Access the iPhone Settings app.
2. Tap on the General > Accessibility option.
3. Then, tap on the Home Button option.
4. After that, turn on the toggle for the Rest Finger to Open option.
Method 2: Restore iPhone Using iTunes
Another way is by using iTunes to restore your device, and your screen should unlock during this process. Comply with the below-mentioned steps:
Note 1: This method will erase all your iPhone data. Make sure to backup all your data.
Note 2: Remember not to break off in the middle. If the recovery process doesn’t finish in 15 minutes, you’ll be kicked out of recovery mode automatically.
1. Firstly, open the iTunes app on your PC or laptop.
2. Press and quickly release the Volume Up button on your iPhone.
3. Then, press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
4. Now, press and hold the Power button until the Connect to laptop icon (Restore screen) appears on the iPhone.
Note: If you use an iPhone with a Home button, press and hold the Volume Down + Home button until the Connect to laptop icon appears.
5. Then, click on the Restore option from the popup on iTunes, as shown below.
Note: By clicking this option, iTunes will clear all the settings and content, including your iPhone passcode.
6. Click on Restore and Update.
7. Click on the Download icon to download the firmware.
Note: iTunes will restore your iPhone after finishing the download process.
8. iTunes will enter the recovery mode and restore the software on your iPhone. Wait till the process is finished.
9. After your iPhone is restarted, select the desired restore options.
Also Read: How to Fix Ghost Touch on iPhone 11
Method 3: Erase iPhone Using iCloud
You can also opt for this method to learn how you can unlock your device using iCloud. In this method, you will have to erase all content on your device using iCloud. And after you have performed the reset, you will be able to unlock your device. If you wish to opt for this method, ensure that Find My iPhone feature is turned on your device.
Follow the steps discussed below:
1. Navigate to iPhone Settings.
2. Tap on your Apple ID from the top.
3. Then, tap on the Find My > Find My iPhone option.
4. Select the On option.
5. Now, visit the official iCloud website in your browser and Sign in using your Apple ID.
6. Then, click on the Account Settings option.
7. Then, click on the Devices option to check the devices related to this Apple ID.
8. Click on your iPhone.
9. Next, click on Erase iPhone option when your iPhone is visible on the screen.
10. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the erase process to unlock your iPhone successfully.
- Fix Titanfall 2 Error 429 on PS4
- How to Fix FaceTime Not Showing Video
- How to Fix Hey Siri Not Working on iPhone
- How to Fix a Button on Xbox One Controller
So, we hope you have understood how to fix the iPhone home button not working and iPhone 11 home button not working issues with the detailed methods to your aid. You can let us know any queries or suggestions about any other topic you want us to make an article on. Drop them in the comments section below for us to know.