Hulu, the online streaming channel was launched by Walt Disney in association with Comcast in 2007. But, it was more recently that it began to gain popularity. You can watch your favorite shows & movies on Hulu desktop app from the Microsoft Store or Hulu mobile app from Google Play Store. Some of our beloved users complained of getting Hulu Token Error 5 on both, Windows PCs and Android phones. Hence, we bring to you the list of solutions to fix Hulu Error Code 5.
Hulu Error Code 5 appears with any one of the following messages:
- We’re having trouble loading this right now.
- Please check your internet connection and try again. Error Code: -5: malformed data.
- If this problem persists, try restarting your device.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Hulu Token Error 5 on PC and Mobile
Listed below are the usual reasons why you see HuluAPI.token error 5 when you try to stream content on Hulu:
- Your device viz phone or computer is incompatible with Hulu.
- Improper installation of Hulu may lead to this error.
- The router or modem emanates a weak internet signal.
- Hardware-related issues
Fortunately, the problem that you are facing can be fixed quite easily, as explained in this section.
Method 1: Reboot your Device
As per the Hulu Token Error 5 prompt: If this problem persists, try restarting your device, we shall do exactly as suggested.
For Windows PC: Press the Windows key. Click on Power icon > Restart, as depicted.
For Android phones: Long press the Power button until power options appear. Then, tap Restart.
Method 2: Refresh your Internet Connection
The most common reason why Hulu Error Code 5 appears is due to problems with internet connectivity. Follow the steps below to refresh your internet connection:
1. Turn off the router by pressing the power button.
2. Unplug your router from the wall socket. Wait for 60 seconds.
3. Restart your router and check if all the indicator lights on the router appear normally.
4. If the error persists, locate and press the RESET button on your router.
5. Run an Online Speed Test. If speed is not optimum, contact your service provider.
Also Read: What is VPN? How does it work?
Method 3: Disable VPN
If you use VPN, there is a possibility that it is interfering with the network connection and leading to the Hulu Error Code 5. Follow the steps below to disable VPN on your PC.
1. Go to the bottom-right corner of the Taskbar and click on the upward arrow.
2. Right-click on the VPN icon of the software that you use.
3. Lastly, click on Exit or a similar option, as illustrated below.
Method 4: Update Hulu
There are higher chances of running into Hulu error codes if the Hulu app has not been updated to its latest version. We have explained the update process for Windows systems as well as Android OS.
On Windows OS
1. Type Microsoft Store and launch it from the search result, as shown.
2. Click on the three-dotted icon to open the menu. Now, click on Downloads and Updates as highlighted.
3. Next, click on the Get updates button and then, click on the Hulu download icon.
On Android OS
1. Locate and tap the Play Store icon to launch it.
2. Next, tap on your Google profile pic from the top-right corner.
3. Then, tap Manage apps & device > See Details.
4. Tap on Hulu and then, tap the Update icon on the next screen.
Once the update is done, launch Hulu and start streaming. If the Hulu Token Error 5 is still not rectified, try the next fix.
Method 5: Clear Cache Files
If there are corrupt cache files of the Hulu app on your device, it can lead to Hulu token error 5. Here’s how you can clear cache for Hulu and fix Hulu Token Error 5.
On Windows OS
If you use a web browser to watch Hulu content, you can clear the browser cache to fix errors arising out of corrupt cache data. Here’s how to clear cache on Google Chrome:
1. Type chrome://settings in the URL bar and press Enter on the keyboard.
2. Click on Clear Browsing data under Privacy & Security option, as highlighted.
3. Set the Time range to All time from the drop-down menu, as shown.
4. Check boxes next to Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files.
5. Lastly, click Clear Data to remove cache data and cookies.
On Android OS
Note: Since smartphones don’t have the same Settings options, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. Given below are general instructions.
1. Go to your phone Settings.
2. Tap on Applications and Permissions, as shown.
3. Scroll down and select Hulu from the list of apps.
4. Next, tap on Internal Storage, as depicted below.
5. Lastly, tap on Clear cache, as shown highlighted.
Method 6: Reinstall Hulu
If the Hulu token error 5 is not fixed by now, your last resort is to reinstall the app as this will fix all bugs, errors, and glitches with the Hulu app including Hulu Token Error 5.
On Windows OS
1. Type Add or remove programs and launch it from the search result, as shown.
2. Type Hulu in the Search this list text field.
3. Click on Hulu and select Uninstall.
Note: The image below is an example given using the Steam application.
4. After uninstall of Hulu is complete, open the Microsoft Store and reinstall Hulu.
On Android OS
1. Long-press the Hulu app and then, select Uninstall.
2. Once the Hulu app is uninstalled, install it from Play Store.
- Fix Miracast Not Working on Windows 10
- Fix Windows 10 Update Stuck or Frozen
- How to Find Out Someone’s Birthday on Snapchat
- How to Hard Reset LG Stylo 4
We hope that this guide was helpful, and you were able to fix Hulu Token Error Code 5. Let us know which method worked the best for you. Also, if you have any questions or suggestions regarding this article, feel free to drop them in the comments section below.