The Face ID feature on iPhone lets the users unlock their device, sign into various applications, authenticate downloads without entering passwords, etc. It saves time and is one of the useful features of the iPhone. But imagine your Face ID stops working, and this situation can be frustrating. If you have also come across this issue, our article will be useful to you. In this article, we will discuss how to fix Face ID not working problem and Face ID not working iPhone X. So, keep reading to gain insights on this issue along with the reasons why has my Face ID stopped working. Let’s get started!
How to Fix Face ID Not Working Problem on iPhone
Keep reading further to find the methods explaining how to fix Face ID not working problem on iPhone in detail with useful illustrations for better understanding.
Why Has My Face ID Stopped Working on iPhone?
Before discussing the methods to fix this issue, let’s first discuss why has my Face ID stopped working. To make yourself familiar with the causes, read the points below:
- Face ID is not enabled
- An older version of the iPhone can cause this issue
- Placing your iPhone in the wrong orientation
- Something is blocking your face
- Dirt on Face ID sensors
How to Fix Face ID Not Working on iPhone?
Read the methods given below, to fix Face ID not working problem. This issue can be faced by anyone who owns an iPhone, so do not worry and follow the methods discussed below:
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
Let’s see some of the easy-to-perform methods to fix the Face ID issue on your iPhone.
1A. Clean Face ID Sensors
Clean the top part of your iPhone using a dry and soft cloth so that the Face ID sensors get cleaned and fix the Face ID not functioning issue. The dirt can get stuck to it when you hold your iPhone in your ear, thereby causing this issue.
1B. Hold iPhone in Correct Orientation
Face ID feature works on landscape orientation or portrait orientation or both, but this varies from your iPhone model.
- iPhone 13 and 14 models which have iOS 16 support both portrait and landscape orientations.
- But if you own an iPhone model older than iPhone 13 or if you use an older iOS version, Face ID will work in portrait orientation only.
1C. Place Your Face within Detection Range
For the Face ID feature to work perfectly, users must place their face within a certain range so that Face ID’s TrueDepth camera can detect the user’s facial features correctly. This distance ranges between 10 and 20 inches. So, to fix Face ID not working problem, ensure the range between your iPhone and your face.
1D. Clear Objects Blocking Your Face
Face ID works by identifying your facial features. So, ensure that while using the Face ID feature to unlock anything on your device, your whole face is visible and no part of your face like eyes, mouth, or nose is covered.
1E. Avoid Humid Surroundings
In some temperatures, Face ID stops working; for instance, sometimes this feature stops functioning in humid conditions like if you take your iPhone during a shower to play some music, etc. So, keep your iPhone in an open and airy space to resolve the problem.
1F. Restart iPhone
Sometimes you come across Face ID not working iPhone X issue. In this situation, you can try to restart your iPhone to resolve the issue. The temporary glitches and bugs get fixed after you restart your device. You can read our guide on How to Restart iPhone X to learn how to restart the iOS device.
Method 2: Enable Face ID
If you are facing Face ID not working iPhone 13 issue, ensure that the Face ID feature is turned on on your iPhone. To enable Face ID on iPhone, follow the steps given below:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on the Face ID & Passcode option.
3. Enter your passcode when prompted.
4. Now, turn on the toggles for the Face ID for the following options:
- iPhone Unlock
- iTunes & App Store
- Wallet & Apple Pay
- Password AutoFill
- Other Apps
Note: Select the desired apps from the Other Apps menu that you use with the App Lock to unlock them with Face ID set for the other above-mentioned options.
Also Read: 13 Ways to Fix iPhone Camera Not Working
Method 2: Set Up Alternative Face ID Appearance
Radical changes in your appearance can lead to Face ID not working iPhone X issue. So, to fix Face ID not working problem, set up an alternate appearance. To do so, read the discussed steps given below:
1. Navigate to iPhone Settings and tap on the Face ID & Passcode option.
2. Type your passcode when prompted.
3. Next, tap on the Set Up an Alternative Appearance option.
4. After that, follow the onscreen instructions to set up an alternative appearance.
Method 3: Re-Enable Face ID for iTunes & App Store
If you are facing the Face ID not working issue while using the App Store, you can try out this method to fix the issue. It becomes very feasible to install any app without entering your password every time if you have Face ID feature enabled for iTunes & App Store.
To learn how to do this, abide by the steps given below:
1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Now, tap on the Face ID & Passcode option and enter your passcode.
3. Then, turn off and on the toggle for the iTunes & App Store option.
Also Read: How to Unlock Found Lost iPhone
Method 4: Update iOS
To fix Face ID not working problem, try to update your device as updating your device to the latest version fixes the errors, malware, bugs, glitches, etc. To learn how to update iPhone, follow the steps discussed below:
Note: Before updating your iPhone, ensure that you have a good internet connection.
1. Launch iPhone Settings.
2. Tap on the General option.
3. Next, tap on the Software Update option.
4. Tap on the Download and Install option.
Note: If a message appears asking you to temporarily remove apps because iOS needs more space for the update, tap on Continue or Cancel.
5A. If you want the update to occur immediately, tap on the Install option.
5B. Or, if you tap on Install Tonight and plug your iOS device into power before you sleep, your device will be updated automatically overnight.
Note: You are also given the option to install the software later by choosing to Remind Me Later.
Method 5: Reset Face ID
Another method that you can adopt is to reset Face ID on your device. To do so, follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Navigate to iPhone Settings.
2. Then, tap on the Face ID & Passcode option.
3. After that, enter your passcode if prompted and tap on the Reset Face ID option.
4. Following that, abide by the onscreen instructions that appear on your screen to set up Face ID again.
Also Read: How to Reset Siri on iPhone
Method 6: Reset All Settings
If the methods discussed above did not work for you then you can also reset all settings on your device to fix Face ID has been disabled issue, to reset all settings on iPhone abide by the steps discussed below:
1. Launch the iPhone Settings app.
2. After that, tap on the General option.
3. Tap on the Transfer or Reset iPhone option.
4. Tap on Reset.
5. Tap on Reset All Settings.
Method 7: Factory Reset iPhone
Another method that you can make use of to fix Face ID not working issue is to factory reset your device. This method would erase all your data and information from your iPhone. So, back up your phone first before opting for this method. To learn how you can perform a factory reset, you can read our guide on How to Factory Reset iPhone X.
Method 8: Contact Apple Support
If you dropped your iPhone, thereby, damaging the Face ID sensors, then your Face ID feature might not work. So, in this case, try contacting Apple Support and scheduling a store visit. To contact the Apple customer service department, go to the iPhone Support page.
- How to Fix Video Lag in VLC Media Player on Windows
- How to Fix Snapchat Filters Not Working on iPhone
- How to Fix Hey Siri Not Working on iPhone
- 12 Best Face Merge Online Apps for iOS
This brings us to the end of our article. We hope after reading our guide, you were able to able to learn how to fix Face ID not working problem and Face ID not working iPhone X. Let us know which method worked for you. You can reach out to us with your suggestions and queries via the comments section below. Also, let us know what topic you want to gain insights on in our next article.