If you have been involved in criminal activity or have broken a law, there might be a warrant issued by the legal department. If you are not sure how to check if you have a warrant for your arrest, then this guide is for you. Here, we have mentioned all the possible methods how to find out if you have a warrant issued against you. Thus, if you are wondering how to know if there is a warrant for my arrest, just follow along with this guide. There are some effective methods that can be utilized to figure out how to find out if someone has a warrant against them without disclosing their identity or putting them at risk of getting arrested.
How to Check If You Have a Warrant
The following are some of the effective methods to figure out if there is a warrant for your arrest.
Method 1: Search Online for Warrant
Searching online is the best and easiest way to clarify if you have an arrest warrant against you or not. If you have an active internet connection, you can quickly go to the county or state legal department website to see if they have issued a warrant for your arrest. The authorities keep updating their websites, making this an effective method. However, many counties do not provide these services. In that case, you can try to reach out to the sheriff’s website or the website of the local police department. While on a government portal, make sure to keep the following points in mind.
- First of all, make sure that you are on an official legal department website. Most government websites use .gov and other authorities and states can use the .us or the .gov domain.
- Make sure that you check for the issued warrant information under the Legal or Health and Safety sections.
- You can also try to use the search option on the website to figure out how to find out if you have a warrant and how to know if there is a warrant for my arrest. Try to enter keywords such as arrest warrant, warrants, issued warrant, etc. in the search bar.
You can also follow the next method to figure out how to find out if someone has a warrant.
Method 2: Make Phone Call to Court Clerk
If you cannot find the information about an arrest warrant online, you can also try to reach out to the authorities in the court to figure out how to check if you have a warrant issued. Here, a clerk may be able to give you the required information about any warrants that may have been issued for you. However, here you will have to be careful while talking to the court clerk, and try not to disclose your identity or give your name. Make sure that you keep the following points in mind while asking for information about an arrest warrant from a court clerk.
- Make sure that you reach out to the correct court. Because a court clerk may not be able to give you information if the warrant was issued by a different court.
- In many cases such as family and juvenile delinquency or domestic violence cases, a court clerk may not be able to give you the information. But the clerks would be able to tell you if there is an active warrant for you.
- Most criminal cases are in public records. Therefore, you can easily get information about them. However, there are many civil cases for which the information is kept confidential due to the privacy concerns of the involved individuals.
- To figure out how to know if there is a warrant for my arrest, instead of calling a court clerk you can also try to call a county, sheriff’s, or state clerk’s office to figure out how to find out if you have a warrant or how to find out if someone has a warrant.
- Avoid using your own phone to make the call. Instead, use someone else’s phone or a public phone to make the call. This is important because authorities can easily locate you by tracing your phone number.
Also Read: What Happens If You Don’t Pay eBay Invoice?
Method 3: Check Public Records at County Courthouse
You can also try to look into the records and data in your county court’s computers and try to find out if there is a warrant against you for any offenses. You can also ask a friend to check the county court’s computer for you because you may be at risk of being taken into custody if there is a warrant for you. If the warrant is for a petty offense, you can resolve it by paying a fine.
Method 4: Hire Criminal Defense Lawyer
This is the safest way to figure out how to check if you have a warrant issue. Your lawyer will call the court to find out if there is an issued warrant for you without putting you at risk of getting arrested. Even if there is a warrant for you, your lawyer will be able to discuss a date for you to turn yourself in and a possible negotiation for your release. Having a lawyer is always a good thing as you can also plan your bail even before the warrant is executed and can explain to you how to know if there is a warrant for my arrest queries.
Method 5: Inquire at Police Station
One of the most straightforward solutions to figure out how to find out if you have a warrant or how to find out if someone has a warrant and if there is a warrant for you or not is to visit the police station by yourself. This will in fact clear the air and if there is no warrant against you, you can relax. However, this can also lead to your arrest if there is a warrant for you. Therefore, always consider talking to a defense lawyer before visiting a police station.
Method 6: Use Third-party Website
You can also take the help of the internet to figure out how to check if you have a warrant issue. There are many websites that will search for you to find out if there is an outstanding warrant for you. However, these services aren’t always reliable and may not give you the correct information about the warrant. For example, you can visit SearchQuarry website and check if you have a warrant or not in the United States.
Also Read: How to Trace a Text App Number for Free
What To Do If You Have an Outstanding Warrant?
If there is a warrant for your arrest, make sure to do the following things to reduce your troubles.
Step I: Respond Quickly
Whatever the type of charges against you it is always good to respond to a warrant as soon as possible to avoid further legal troubles and getting arrested in public or awkward places. It can also reduce any other accruing fees.
Step II: Contact Attorney
Getting an attorney should be your next essential move while figuring out how to know if there is a warrant for my arrest, as attorneys can help you understand your warrant’s legal aspects.
An attorney can also explain to you how to find out if you have a warrant or how to find out if someone has a warrant and accompany you during your court visits and help you plan your next steps. You should keep the following points in mind while hiring an attorney.
- Make sure the attorney you hire has a background in dealing with similar cases.
- Take a reference from someone who has been in a similar situation before finalizing an attorney.
- Arrange a meeting with your attorney and make sure that you trust them with your case.
Step III: Turn Yourself In
Once you find out that there is a warrant against you, it is one of the best things to do. Turning yourself in can help you with reducing the punishment or the fine that is due to you. However, make sure that you have an attorney or a lawyer with you while you turn yourself in.
Step IV: Don’t Ignore Warrant
In any case, never ignore the warrant that has been issued against you. Whenever you will be in or around the legal authorities, they will be able to arrest you on the spot. Ignoring a warrant may also attract strict fines and punishments.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can I search online if there is a warrant against me?
Ans. Yes, you can go to the official court or police department website to see if there is a warrant against you.
Q2. Do I have to turn myself in if there is a warrant against me?
Ans. Yes. It is one of the best things to do if there is a warrant against you. Turning yourself in can lead to less strict punishment and even quick release.
Q3. Why is there a warrant against me?
Ans. A warrant is issued when a person breaks a law or is involved in criminal activity. If you have been involved in such a situation, there may be a warrant for your arrest.
- Top 10 Methods to Search Instagram Users by Name and Location
- Can You Get Tracked on Kik?
- FastPeopleSearch Opt Out and Removal Guide
- How to Activate Your Chase Credit Card Online
We hope this guide was helpful to you and you were able to figure out how to check if you have a warrant. Let us know which method was the most useful. If you have any queries or suggestions, please let us know in the comment section.