RAM is an acronym for Random Access Memory which is used to store information required short term. This data can be read and changed according to the convenience of the user. Nowadays, it is permanently soldered to motherboards in various laptops & tablets which means RAM cannot be upgraded until you buy a new laptop or computer. Fortunately, some manufacturers give you the flexibility to upgrade it, if need be. The applications you use in the system require various amounts of memory since you can browse the internet, write emails, and edit images with less Random Access Memory whereas you would need more memory to use Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud apps, to stream games & videos and to edit 4k videos & high-quality pictures. But, it becomes even more important for gaming as you would get frustrated with game lags or interruptions. Hence, we have brought this guide for you to comprehend the same. So, continue reading so that you can make an informed decision while buying your new Windows 10 laptop or desktop or tablet.
How Much RAM is Enough for Gaming
- For moderate games, 16GB RAM is more than enough.
- For online media streamers, 32GB RAM will give you extra room for other apps to function properly.
- If you are interested in Virtual Reality gaming, then you must have at least 8GB RAM for the proper functioning of VR services like HTC Vive, Windows Mixed Reality (WMR), and Oculus Rift.
Note: You may not notice huge performance differences between systems with 16GB and 32GB memory storage. Buy a faster RAM only if you are an avid dreamer.
What Does More RAM Do For Gaming?
You are recommended to run AAA PC games with 16GB RAM as extra storage space will help you:
- Avail some room to use other applications while you are playing games.
- Avoid interruptions in gameplay.
- Achieve enhanced gaming experience.
The amount of memory required for games varies such as:
- In-built games, DOTA 2, CS: GO, and League of Legends can be played on computers with 4GB RAM installed.
- Other games like Fallout 4, Witcher 3, and DOOM will mandatorily require 8GB of Random Access Memory.
Also Read: 18 Ways to Optimize Windows 10 for Gaming
How Much RAM Do Tablets Need
Tablets are subsidiary devices between PC and mobile phones. Usually, tablets are not subjected to heavy tasks; hence RAM requirement would be like that of smartphones. The general range would vary from 2GB to 16GB, depending upon the processor speed and battery life. For example, a default 4GB storage with an optional 8GB upgrade is available in Microsoft Surface Go 2. Before you buy a tablet, you should know how much RAM is enough according to your usage.
- If you are going to use your tablet for simple tasks, then 4GB would work for you.
- You can use your tablet for performing moderately heavy tasks by having 8GB installed in it.
- If you are going to use your tablet as your primary computer, then 16GB RAM would be best for you.
Also Read: How to Hard Reset iPad Mini
How much RAM do Laptops Need
Most of the recent laptops are inbuilt with 8GB memory, where others may have 16GB or 32GB.
- Chromebook mostly relies on cloud-based services, and you would not require any additional upgrades to speed up the process. In this case, 8GB would work for you.
- Windows 10 PC might consume around 2GB Random Access Memory to just boot up before you even open an application. After performing heavy tasks like gaming, HD video editing, you may feel the system to be very slow than usual. In this case, you have to increase it to 16/32 GB as required.
- If you do not use your laptop for heavy tasks and only use MS Office suite viz Microsoft Word, Excel, and web browsing then, 4GB should be adequate.
Note: Few latest models of laptops come with the inability to upgrade RAM as it is soldered. Hence, it would be wise to buy one according to your requirements and usage initially. This would spare you the hassle of upgrading it at a later stage.
Also Read: How to Check RAM Type in Windows 10
How Much RAM Do Desktops Need?
In 2021, the price of all components, including RAM, is scaling pretty high which might continue in 2022. A 16GB RAM worth $150 in 2021 might cost $200 in the upcoming years. So, it is better to buy a system with adequate RAM in advance.
- 16GB is a good start for an average workstation user.
- If you are dealing with large video files, niche programs, or huge datasets, then you are advised to install 32 GB or more.
- Is WinZip Safe
- How to Check Intel Processor Generation of Laptop
- How to Fix PC Won’t POST
- 7 Ways to Fix Computer Keeps Crashing
We hope you understood how much RAM is enough for your PC and for gaming. If you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, please drop them in the comments section below.