It would be annoying when you try to open a YouTube video and get the Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer YouTube error. Many possible reasons cause YouTube audio renderer error on your Windows 10 PC. This is not only specific to Google Chrome. It is reported even on Opera, Edge and Firefox browsers too. Other users have reported this error while listening to iTunes and while using an inbuilt audio player. Nevertheless, there are so many troubleshooting methods to help you fix the Audio renderer error YouTube Windows 10 error. So, Continue reading!
Table of Contents
How to Fix YouTube Audio Renderer Error in Windows 10
If you are facing the Audio renderer error Please restart your computer YouTube error while enjoying your YouTube audio contents. The most probable reason would be due to incompatible audio settings. Here are some common reasons that contribute to this issue.
- The audio may be muted or very low.
- The Audio enhancement features are enabled on PC.
- Other applications on your PC are using audio.
- Outdated/corrupt audio drivers in computers.
- Damaged cables, plugs and speakers.
- Access for using a Microphone is not granted.
- Outdated Windows Operating System and outdated browser.
- Presence of corrupt files on PC.
- Few essential Windows Audio services are not enabled.
- Corrupt browser cache.
- Incompatible Extensions within the browser.
In this section, you will learn about the troubleshooting methods that will help you fix this YouTube error. Implement the methods as instructed in the same order to get perfect results.
Before you head towards the advanced troubleshooting methods, a few simple hacks will help you fix this error within clicks. Make sure your PC meets all of these preliminary checks. Still, if you did not attain any fix, move to the next section.
- Reboot your PC. Any temporary glitches associated with the computer will be resolved.
- Ensure proper internet connectivity since high-quality YouTube audio contents require an adequate bandwidth limit. When you are in the middle of any video/audio file, you may face audio issues if some data packets are lost due to insufficient bandwidth.
- Ensure you use a high-quality microphone, and it is set firmly with your PC. To avoid external noise, make sure you use the best quality speakers or microphones.
- Check cables for loose connections and whether all other cables are plugged in or not. Make sure all other cables and cords are plugged into the correct jack. If you are not sure of the correct jacks, contact the hardware manufacturer.
- Check the volume levels and whether the speaker power is turned on.
- If you have plugged in headphones, unplug them and check if it helps.
- When using more than one audio output device, you have to confirm when the device is used up as an output device.
- If your audio device is used by other applications on your Windows 10 PC, you may face this error. You are advised to close all other programs or applications running in the background one by one or force them to shut down by using Task Manager.
Method 1: Enable Sound Device Settings
You must ensure that the sound settings are correct and compatible with the audio device. This helps you to fix this issue as you follow the steps instructed below.
1. Right-click on the Speakers icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
2. Click on Open Volume mixer.
3. Make sure all volume levels are not muted. If you find any red circle with a line, unmute the volume level.
4. Now, press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
5. Click on System.
6. Then, click on Sound from the left pane.
7. Click on Device properties under the Output menu as shown.
8. Uncheck the Disable option.
9. Repeat Steps 7 and 8 for input devices as depicted.
Note: Below we have shown methods for the Google Chrome browser. If you are using another browser then, follow the same methods in them too.
Method 2: Update Google Chrome
If you face this error, it may be due to an outdated browser. The best way to deal with this problem is to update your browser as instructed below. After updating your browser, check if you have fixed the problem.
1. Press the Windows key. Type Google Chrome and launch it.
Note: You can also type chrome://settings/help and hit the Enter key to launch the About Chrome page directly.
2. Now, click on the three-dotted icon and select the Help option as shown below.
3. Then, select the About Google Chrome option.
4A. If Google Chrome is updated to its latest version, it will show Chrome is up to date.
4B. If a new update is available, the browser will automatically update the browser to the latest version. Click on Relaunch to complete the update process.
5. Finally, relaunch the browser with its latest version.
Also Read: How to Enable DNS over HTTPS in Chrome
Method 3: Clear Browser Cache
Although cache improves your browsing speed, it may accumulate over days and thus causes several issues in the browser. Hence, you are advised to clear the browser cache and cookies as instructed below. Read our guide on How to Clear Cache & Cookies in Google Chrome and clear the browsing data.
Method 4: Disable Hardware Acceleration (If Applicable)
Few of your web pages and browser sites consume extra GPU resources when the hardware acceleration feature is turned on. Follow the below-mentioned steps to disable this feature to fix this error.
1. Launch Chrome browser as done earlier.
2. Click on the three-dotted at the top right corner.
3. Now, click on Settings.
4. Expand the Advanced section by clicking on the arrow next to it at the left pane and then click on System.
5. Now, turn off the toggle for Use hardware acceleration when available.
5. Finally, click on Relaunch.
Also Read: How to Restore the Old YouTube Layout
Method 5: Disable Extensions (If Applicable)
Check if any incompatible extensions are conflicting with your thumbnails. If so, disable them from your browser or remove them completely. This method will help you fix this YouTube audio renderer error issue by following the steps as instructed.
1. Launch the Google Chrome browser as done earlier.
Note: To skip the steps to reach the extensions page, type chrome://extensions/ in the search bar and hit Enter.
2. Now, click on the three-dotted icon at the top right corner.
3. Here, select the More tools option and then Extensions.
4. Finally, turn off the extension you want to disable. Here, Google Meet Grid View is chosen as an example.
Note: If the error has been resolved after disabling any particular extension, click on the Remove option to delete it from your browser.
5. Finally, refresh your browser.
Method 6: Run Audio Troubleshooter
Your PC contains an inbuilt troubleshooting tool to fix the audio renderer error YouTube Windows 10 on its own. All of your devices will be scanned, and the process will be sorted out easier. Follow our guide How to Run Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter to fix issues to fix all the audio-related hardware issues in your PC. Also, you can run the Audio troubleshooter individually as instructed in our guide How to Run Windows Update Troubleshooter, but make sure you select the Playing Audio option as depicted.
Also Read: Fix YouTube Videos Not Playing
Method 7: Update Windows
If any new Microsoft updates are pending to be installed on your PC, a few bugs and problems cannot be resolved on your computer. As suggested by many users, updating Windows 10 computers will help you resolve this error. Follow our guide How to Download and Install Windows 10 Latest Update.
After updating your Windows Operating System, check whether you can access audio on YouTube.
Method 8: Update Audio Drivers
Outdated and incompatible audio drivers will always result in the audio renderer error Please restart your computer YouTube error. Always ensure you use an updated version of audio drivers. If your computer lacks the latest drivers, you are advised to update them as instructed in our guide How to Update Realtek HD Audio Drivers in Windows 10.
Once you have updated your audio drivers to the latest version, check if you have fixed the audio renderer error 400 YouTube Windows 10.
Also Read: How to Fix YouTube Comments Not Loading
Method 9: Roll Back Audio Driver Updates
Sometimes, the current version of audio drivers may cause any audio conflicts. In this case, you have to restore previous versions of installed drivers. This process is called rollback of drivers, and you can easily roll back your computer drivers to their previous state by following our guide How to Rollback Drivers on Windows 10.
Wait until the previous versions of drivers are installed on your Windows 10 PC. Once done, check if you have fixed the YouTube audio renderer error.
Method 10: Reinstall Audio Drivers
Incompatible drivers must be reinstalled to resolve this error. You are advised to reinstall device drivers only if you cannot attain any fix by updating them. Steps to reinstall drivers are very easy, and you can do so by using a third-party application or by implementing the steps manually as instructed in our guide How to Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers on Windows 10
After reinstalling audio drivers, check if you can hear YouTube audio in your Windows 10.
Method 11: Allow Audio Access
Only a few limited programs will access your audio devices on your PC. If YouTube direct application is not on the list, sometimes you may not hear audio. Therefore, ensure the audio settings are enabled on YouTube on your PC by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Launch Windows Settings by pressing Windows + I keys together.
2. Now, click on Privacy as depicted.
3. Here, scroll down the left pane and click on the Microphone option.
4. Ensure Allow apps to access your microphone option is enabled as shown.
Method 12: Set Audio Device as Default Device
You must ensure whether your audio device is set as a default device to avoid conflicts like Audio renderer error YouTube Windows 10. You have to set your audio device as the default device as instructed below to fix this error.
1. Right-click on the Speakers icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
2. Select the Sounds option.
3. Then, switch to the Playback tab and right-click on the audio device you would like to set as the default one.
4. Now, select the Set as Default Device option as highlighted.
5. Click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Also Read: How to Make a YouTube Account Without Gmail
Method 13: Re-enable Sound Card
You can easily fix YouTube audio renderer error by restarting the sound card as instructed below.
1. Hit the Windows key and type Device Manager. Now, click on Open.
2. Double-click on the Sound, video and game controllers to expand drivers.
3. Then, right-click on your sound card and select the Disable device option.
4. Now, confirm the prompt by clicking on Yes and reboot your computer.
5. Then, repeat Steps 1 and 2.
6. Next, right-click on the disabled sound card and select the Enable device option.
Method 14: Disable Audio Enhancements
If your audio works well for other applications or programs, but the sound doesn’t work for YouTube alone, you are advised to change the sample rate. A low-frequency sample rate will cause this error, yet you can select a higher frequency sample rate by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. Right-click on the Speakers icon at the bottom right corner of the screen and select the Sounds option.
2. Then, switch to the Playback tab.
3. Click on the audio device followed by the Properties button.
4. Then, switch to the Advanced tab.
5. From the drop-down menu under Default Format, ensure you select the highest frequency range (24 bit, 48000 Hz).
Note: Make sure Disable audio enhancements option is unchecked under Signal Enhancements as shown.
6. Click on Apply and then OK to save the changes.
Note: If the error exists, adjust different levels of frequency ranges by repeating these steps and confirming which range solves the problem.
Method 15: Repair System Files
If you want to enjoy uninterrupted YouTube audio services, some files and programs must be active on your PC. But, if they are corrupt or misconfigured, you will face the audio renderer error Please restart your computer YouTube error. Yet the corrupt misconfigured files can be repaired by using the inbuilt utilities of your Windows 10 PC, namely System File Checker and Deployment Image Servicing and Management. Read our guide on How to Repair System Files on Windows 10 and follow the steps as instructed to repair all your corrupt files.
Wait for the commands to be executed and check if you have fixed this YouTube error.
Method 16: Restart Audio Services
Few essential Windows audio services will help you prevent this error. If in case, if these services are turned off, you may face several conflicts. Hence, you are advised to restart a few essential audio services as instructed below.
1. Press the Windows key, type Services, and click on Run as administrator.
2. Now, scroll down and double-click on the Windows Audio service.
3. Select the Startup type to Automatic in the new popup window, as depicted.
Note: If the Service status is Stopped, click on the Start button. If the Service status is Running, click on Stop and Start it again.
4. Click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
5. Repeat all these steps for other Windows services like Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Remote Procedure Call (RPC).
Also Read: How To Fix YouTube Keeps Signing Me Out
Method 17: Disable Exclusive Mode
Still, if you are struggling with this error, you have to ensure no other applications are taking the exclusive control of your audio device. You can disable the discussed feature by following the below-mentioned steps.
1. As you did earlier, right-click on the Speakers icon and select the Sounds option.
2. Navigate to the Playback tab.
3. Then, select your audio device and click on the Properties button as shown.
3. In the General tab, ensure the Device usage option is set to Use this device (enable) as shown.
4. Click on Apply > OK if you have made any changes.
5. Now, switch to the Advanced tab and under the Exclusive Mode section, make sure the following options are unchecked.
- Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
- Give exclusive mode applications priority.
Note: As soon as you uncheck Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device option, Give exclusive mode applications priority option will be automatically unchecked.
6. Finally, click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
- How to Set Out of Office in Teams
- Fix Esrv.exe Application Error in Windows 10
- Fix YouTube Full Screen Not Working in Windows 10
- Fix YouTube Picture in Picture Not Working
We hope the guide was useful and you were able to fix YouTube audio renderer error. Let us know what you want to learn about next. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below.