There are many people who have come across Wi-Fi disconnects when iPhone is locked or in sleep mode. This can be frustrating as you will have to connect to your Wi-Fi again and again if this issue persists. If you are also facing iPhone disconnects from Wi-Fi when locked iOS 16 issue, then you are at the correct place because in this article we would discuss the solutions to fix this iPhone disconnects from Wi-Fi when locked iOS 15 issue. So, stay tuned with us!
How to Fix Wi-Fi Disconnects When iPhone is Locked
There are several reasons as to why Wi-Fi disconnects when iPhone is locked issue occurs, but to learn about the reasons and the solutions, you will have to keep reading our guide.
One of the most effective methods to fix this issue on iPhone device is to reset network settings as follows:
1. Launch the iPhone Settings app.
2. Go to the General setting.
3. Tap on Reset option.
4. Finally, tap on Reset Network Settings.
Why my Wi-Fi Disconnects When iPhone is Locked?
It is important that you should know about the causes of this issue. To learn about them, read the below mentioned points:
- A temporary glitch
- Issue with router
- Outdated software
- Network related issues
- Enabled features like Wi-Fi Assist, Networking & Wireless, VPN
We have provided a thorough guide so that our readers are able to resolve Wi-Fi disconnects when iPhone is locked issue. You can start with the basic troubleshooting as sometimes these basic steps can fix the problem. But if the issue persists then move on to the advanced steps given in our guide.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Here are the basic steps you can follow to fix the issue.
1A. Restart iPhone
If you come across iPhone disconnects from Wi-Fi when locked iOS 15 issue, then restart your iPhone to solve the minor glitches that may be causing this issue. Restarting iPhone is one of the simplest and most basic solutions that you can opt for. To gain an understanding on how you can restart iPhone, you will have to go through our guide on How to Restart iPhone X.
1B. Force Restart iPhone
You can force restart iPhone to resolve the problem. To make yourself familiar with how to perform a force restart, abide by the steps discussed in our guide on How to Force Restart iPhone X. If the problem persists, then you can jump to the other methods discussed by us.
1C. Restart and Update your Router
The issue can be with your router and not with your device. In this case, restart and update your router. Check out the following steps to do so:
1. First, turn off your router either by disconnecting the cable or with the power button.
2. Next, turn it on again after a few seconds.
3. Following that, connect to your Wi-Fi network.
Method 2: Reconnect to Wi-Fi
Reconnecting to your Wi-Fi can help resolve Wi-Fi disconnects when iPhone is locked issue. For this, you have to disconnect from your Wi-Fi, then forget the network, and finally reconnect again. Read the below-mentioned steps, to do so:
1. Launch the Settings app and then tap on the Wi-Fi option.
2. Next, tap on the network that you are currently connected to.
3. Hereafter, tap on the Forget this Network option. Besides that, also turn on the Auto-Join slider.
4. After this, navigate to the Wi-Fi tab again and reconnect to the network again.
Method 3: Turn Off Wi-Fi Assist
If you are in a place where the Wi-Fi connection is not stable, then in this case Wi-Fi Assist is a good option that you can turn on. This feature switches to mobile data when the Wi-Fi connection drops down. The Wi-Fi Assist feature can also lead to this issue, so try disabling it. Follow the steps below to learn how to turn off this feature:
1. Navigate to the Settings app and then tap on the Mobile Data option.
2. After that, scroll down and toggle off the Wi-Fi Assist slider located below the list of applications.
3. Then, connect to your Wi-Fi again.
Method 4: Disable VPN
Another method to fix Wi-Fi disconnects when iPhone is locked issue is by disabling VPN on your device. Turning on VPN sometimes makes the Wi-Fi connection inconsistent. Check out the below steps, to disable VPN:
1. Open the Settings app on your device.
2. Now, tap on the VPN option.
3. Finally, disable VPN if you have an active VPN connection.
Also Read: How to Get Cox WiFi Hotspot Free Trial Code
Method 5: Disable Networking & Wireless Service
Wi-Fi networking locates the nearby Wi-Fi networks and then makes a list of all of them on your iPhone. This feature has various benefits but try disabling it to fix the Wi-Fi disconnection issue. To do so, abide by the given steps:
1. Launch the Settings app and then tap on the Privacy & Security option.
2. Consequently, tap on the Location Services option.
3. Now, scroll down and tap on System Services located at the bottom.
4. After that, toggle off the Networking & Wireless slider.
5. Finally, connect to your Wi-Fi again.
Method 6: Renew DHCP Lease
A lease is an IP address which is given by the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol for the time being while you are joined to any wireless network. The lease is altered every time when a new connection is established. Moreover, the Renew Lease option is not available on iOS version 15 or above. To gain an understanding of how to do this, read the below steps:
1. Navigate to Settings > Wi-Fi on your iPhone.
2. Then, tap on the i icon located on the right side of your Wi-Fi network.
3. Following that, tap on the Renew Lease option.
4. After that, when the confirmation prompt appears on your screen, then tap on the Renew Lease option once again.
5. After this your Wi-Fi would disconnect for some time.
6. Finally, reconnect to the network after the new IP address has been given to it.
Method 7: Update iPhone
When iPhone Wi-Fi disconnects automatically then this might be due to the outdated version. So, update your iPhone to prevent this issue. The latest software update offers new features, security updates, fixes bugs and more. To make yourself familiar with how to update your iPhone, adhere to the steps discussed below:
1. First, navigate to the Settings app.
2. Hereafter, tap on the General option.
3. Now, tap on the Software Update option.
4. Next, tap on the Download and install option.
Method 8: Reset Network Settings
Network-related issues can also cause iPhone disconnects from Wi-Fi when locked iOS 16 problem. In this case, reset the network settings on your iPhone. This solution would erase network-linked information such as mobile network preferences, Wi-Fi passwords and names, and Bluetooth device pairings. To do so, abide by the following steps:
1. Go to the Settings app on your device.
2. Consequently, tap on the General option.
3. Now, tap on the Transfer or Reset iPhone option.
4. Then, tap on the Reset > Reset Network Settings option.
Method 9: Factory Reset iPhone
If the above methods did not work for you to solve iPhone disconnects from Wi-Fi when locked iOS 15 problem, then you can Factory Reset iPhone. Before opting for this method, ensure you create a backup as all your data and information will be deleted and erased. We already have a detailed guide on How to Factory Reset iPhone X which you can go through.
- Fix Microsoft OneNote Invalid Notebook Name Error
- Is Little Big Planet on Xbox?
- How to Factory Reset iPhone Before Selling
- 7 Ways to Fix Location Not Available iPhone iMessage
This brings us to the end of our guide. We hope after reading our guide you were able to fix Wi-Fi disconnects when iPhone is locked issue. You can reach out to us with your suggestions and queries via the comments section below. Also, let us know what topic you want to gain insights on in our next article.