Imagine life without sound. Communicating with others through sign and action, films and games without audio, soundless rain, no radio or music. Isn’t that terrifying? You probably know it when you face the issue and wonder why my headphone jack is not working. If you are also dealing with the same problem, you are at the right place. We bring you a perfect guide that will help you fix the audio jack not detecting headphones problem. Now let’s fix your headphones so you can listen to audio from them as well.
- How to Fix My Headphone Jack is Not Working in Windows 10
- Method 1: Perform Basic Troubleshooting Steps
- Method 2: Update Sound Driver
- Method 3: Run Audio Troubleshooter
- Method 4: Enable Playback Device
- Method 5: Set Playback Device as Default
- Method 6: Modify Sound Settings
- Method 7: Change App Volume Preferences
- Method 8: Update Windows
- Method 9: Use Portable Amplifier
How to Fix My Headphone Jack is Not Working in Windows 10
The reason behind audio jack not detecting headphones could be the following:
- Outdated Driver
- Incompatible with your system
- Changes to the Sound settings
- System issues
- Disabled device
- Connectivity and audio jack issues
Method 1: Perform Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Here are a few basic troubleshooting steps.
- Make sure your headphones are plugged into the correct headphone jack and not in the microphone jack.
- Unplug, reconnect, and restart your computer. There may be some minor issues that can be resolved by restarting the computer.
- Make sure your headphones are compatible with your system/PC. For further information, see the manufacturer’s website or contact customer service for additional support.
- Check that the audio jack is properly plugged in, play some music, and experiment with twisting the connector slightly in either direction until you hear the correct audio.
- Test the headphones on another device or another set of headphones on your PC to determine whether the fault is in your PC or the headphones.
- Blow air into the audio jack to remove any dust or particles. A blower can also be used.
- Check that your system is not on mute.
- If you’re using wireless headphones, make sure the battery is fully charged. Check your Bluetooth settings as well.
Method 2: Update Sound Driver
An outdated sound driver could cause audio jack not detecting headphones in Windows 10. The first thing we recommend is that you update your sound drivers. Follow these steps:
Note: If the headset requires a specific or additional driver or software, you can also download it from the manufacturer’s website.
1. Press the Windows key, type Device Manager and click on Open.
2. Double-click on Audio inputs and outputs to expand the menu.
3. Then, double click on Headphones (High-Definition Audio Device).
4. Go to the Driver section and click on Update Driver.
5. Finally, select Search automatically for drivers option.
6. If a driver is available, download it and restart the PC.
Also Read: How to Fix Audio Stuttering in Windows 10
Method 3: Run Audio Troubleshooter
If the issue is unknown or undetectable, run an audio troubleshooter to identify the error. Follow the troubleshooting steps to fix my headphone jack is not working issue.
1. Hit the Windows + I keys simultaneously to open the Settings.
2. Click on Update & Security setting.
3. Click on Troubleshoot menu in the left pane.
4. Select Playing Audio troubleshooter and click on Run the troubleshooter.
5. Wait for the troubleshooter to detect issues if any and follow the on-screen instructions to apply the fix.
Method 4: Enable Playback Device
Still, you can’t get rid of thinking why my headphone jack is not working even if your headphones and audio jack are in good condition. Then the problem is that the device you are trying to connect to might be disabled. Follow these steps to enable your device:
1. Press the Windows key, type control. Click Open to launch Control Panel.
2. Set the View by: to Large icons.
3. Then, click on the Sound setting.
4. Right-click anywhere on the blank space and click on Show Disabled Device.
5. Then, right-click on your audio device and click on Enable.
6. Finally, click on OK.
Method 5: Set Playback Device as Default
You can also fix audio jack not detecting headphones by making sure that the playback device is set as default. Follow the steps below to do it to fix my headphone jack is not working problem.
1. Launch the Control Panel and go to the Sound setting.
2. Select the device and click on Set Default.
3. Then, click on OK.
Method 6: Modify Sound Settings
Specific headphones function properly on a specific sound format, or a specific format is the cause of audio jack not detecting headphones issue. Additionally, rather than improving the quality, sound enhancement is causing the problem. Here’s how to change the sound format and disable enhancements:
1. Navigate to the Sound settings.
2. Double-click on Headphones.
3. Go to the Advanced tab.
4. Under the Default Format section, expand the drop-down menu by clicking on the pre-selected quality. Experiment with different formats and click on Test to check.
5. Then, go to the Enhancements tab and click on Disable all enhancements.
6. Finally, click on OK.
Note: You can restore the default settings by clicking on Restore Defaults.
Also Read: Fix Windows 10 Audio Error 0xc00d4e86
Method 7: Change App Volume Preferences
The issue with the front audio jack, not working can also be caused by a change in a specific app volume. For example, except for a particular app or game, the headphone sound is audible. This can happen while doing an audio or video stream, after the installation of software, or by connecting to an external device. Here’s how to fix my headphone jack is not working issue by changing the app volume preferences.
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to launch the Settings.
2. Then, click on System setting.
3. Click on Sound.
4. Scroll down and open App volume and device preferences.
5. If any app’s volume is set to zero, increase the volume. Or, click on Reset.
Method 8: Update Windows
If the problem continues and you haven’t figured out what to do or how to fix it, we recommend that you update your Windows. It is possible that the sound card or the driver isn’t working because of corrupted data or defects caused by viruses or malware. Read our guide on how to download and install windows 10 latest updates.
Method 9: Use Portable Amplifier
If you try to connect high-end headphones that demand a particular level of power to generate good output and your system cannot provide it, then the headphones will not work. An amplifier delivers the necessary level of power output for the headphones to function properly. For a recommended amplifier and other necessary hardware and software, look online or visit the manufacturer’s website.
- How to Rename file in Destination Directory
- Fix VLC Hotkeys and Shortcuts Not Working in Windows 10
- How to Adjust Sound on TikTok
- Fix Front Audio Jack Not Working in Windows 10
We hope this guide was helpful, and that you were able to fix my headphone jack is not working problem. Let us know which method worked for you the best. If you have any queries or suggestions, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.