Google Chrome is a web browser. You just need to type what you want to search; the concerned browser will find that. It is fast, secure and reliable. So, it is a popular web browser. Even I use it on my Android phone and PC because it is secure. But many users have reported 431 request header fields too large. So, if you are also facing the discussed issue, you are on the right page. In this guide, we will tell you what causes HTTP error 431 on Google Chrome and how to troubleshoot it. So, keep reading the guide.
Table of Contents
- How to Fix HTTP Error 431 on Google Chrome
- Method 1: Refresh Page
- Method 2: Use Incognito Mode
- Method 3: Create New Profile
- Method 4: Turn Off Proxy Server Connection
- Method 5: Remove Problematic Extension
- Method 6: Clear Cookies and Cache
- Method 7: Update Network Driver Adapter
- Method 8: Flush DNS Cache
- Method 9: Update Google Chrome
- Method 10: Reinstall Browser
- Method 11: Use Another Browser
How to Fix HTTP Error 431 on Google Chrome
Before we discuss how to troubleshoot HTTP error 431 on Google Chrome, let us understand the possible reasons for the concerned error code:
- It can occur due to temporary glitches.
- When the request header field is too large.
- A problematic extension can also be another reason for the concerned problem.
- Apart from this, it can occur because of a corrupt user profile.
- Another possible cause can be a proxy server.
- Corrupted cache and cookies on the browser.
- An outdated network adapter driver.
- Corrupted DNS cache.
- Outdated version of Google Chrome.
Let us begin with troubleshooting. So, keep reading till the end to learn all the possible methods to fix the issue.
Method 1: Refresh Page
As the HTTP error 431 can also occur because of temporary glitches, you should refresh the page. When you refresh the page, the temporary glitches causing the issue will be resolved. To refresh the discussed browser, you can either press Ctrl + R keys simultaneously or press the F5 key on your keyboard.
If the error remains, use the following methods to troubleshoot the concerned error.
Also Read: 8 Ways to Fix Disney Plus Autoplay Not Working on Chrome
Method 2: Use Incognito Mode
Another possible method to fix 431 request header fields too large is using the incognito mode. In incognito mode, once you have closed all the incognito tabs, your browser will not save the history of the websites you visited. Using incognito mode will fix the issue if it is caused due to installed extension. Read our guide to enable incognito mode in Chrome.
Method 3: Create New Profile
Extra data can be attached to headers of the data packets sent to problematic sites. The reason for the attachment of additional data with the headers is a corrupt user profile on the discussed browser. Therefore, you should create a new profile on the discussed browser by using the steps provided below.
1. First, open Google Chrome on Windows PC.
2. After that, navigate to the user icon on the screen’s right side.
3. Choose + Add.
4. Next, select Continue without an account.
5. Type the name of the new profile and select Done.
Method 4: Turn Off Proxy Server Connection
A Proxy server is used for multiple purposes. Some of its objectives are maintaining the security and privacy of users. But the proxy server, which keeps you safe online, can cause the concerned error code and make the internet connection unstable. The steps to turn off the proxy server on Windows 11 are given below to fix HTTP Error 431 on Google Chrome. So, keep reading.
1. First, open the Start menu by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard.
2. After that, type Internet options in the search box and select Open.
3. Select the Connections tab.
4. Next, select LAN settings.
5. After that, untick Use a proxy server for LAN ( These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections).
6. Now, click on OK.
7. Finally, revisit the website and check whether the concerned issue has been fixed. Try the following method if the problem remains.
Also Read: 7 Quick Ways to Fix Hulu Chromecast Not Working
Method 5: Remove Problematic Extension
1. First, navigate to three dots located at the right corner of the Chrome page.
2. From the drop-down menu, choose More tools.
3. From the context menu, select Extensions.
4. Disable all the extensions by clicking on the toggle–off button.
5. After that, enable one extension at a time by clicking on the toggle button.
6. Visit a website on which you are facing the problem. If after enabling a particular extension, the concerned issue arises, click on the Remove button for that extension.
7. Next, select Remove.
Method 6: Clear Cookies and Cache
Another possible method to fix 431 request header fields too large is clearing the cache and cookies. We have provided the steps to guide you on clearing cache and cookies on the discussed browser. So, please check our article on how to clear cache and cookies on Google Chrome.
Read till the end to learn more ways to fix HTTP error 431 on Google Chrome
Method 7: Update Network Driver Adapter
An outdated network adapter driver can be the reason for HTTP error 431 Chrome. Regularly updating the network driver adapter ensures a smooth internet connection. Apart from this, any bugs in the software will also get fixed. Furthermore, your Windows PC will function smoothly when its network driver adapter gets up to date. You can use our guide to learn how to update network adapter drivers on Windows 10.
Also Read: Google Chrome vs Samsung Internet: Which Android Browser is Better?
Method 8: Flush DNS Cache
The DNS (Domain Name System) cache tracks all requests your browser sends to a DNS server. When you enter a Uniform Resource Locator into your browser, your browser queries the DNS server for the IP address of the URL. After receiving the IP address, your browser can open the appropriate website in your window. But when the DNS cache gets corrupted, HTTP error 431 on Google Chrome can occur. Therefore, flush the DNS cache to troubleshoot the concerned error code. You can learn new methods to flush the DNS cache from our guide on how to flush and reset the DNS cache in Windows 10.
Method 9: Update Google Chrome
You can update the discussed browser by using the steps that are given below:
1. First, press the Windows key, type Google Chrome and click on Open.
2. Select three dots.
3. From the context menu, choose Settings.
4. After that, choose About Chrome.
5A. The discussed browser will get updated automatically if any update is available. When the search engine gets updated, select Relaunch.
5B. If the search engine is up-to-date, you will see Chrome is up to date under Google Chrome.
Please keep reading to learn another method to fix HTTP error 431 on Google Chrome.
Also Read: 10 Ways to Fix Google Chrome Error 0xc00000a5
Method 10: Reinstall Browser
You can reinstall Chrome to fix HTTP error 431 Chrome. But for this, you need to uninstall the concerned web browser and then install it. The process to reinstall the concerned browser is straightforward. Read the steps to reinstall the discussed browser on your computer:
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
2. Here, click on Apps setting.
3. Now, navigate to and click on Google Chrome, and click Uninstall.
4. Click on Uninstall to confirm the process.
5. Click Yes in the confirmation pop-up.
6. Now, open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys.
7. Type %localappdata% in the box and hit the Enter key.
8. After that, open the Google folder by double-clicking on it.
9. Now, right-click on the Chrome folder and from the drop-down menu, choose Delete.
10. After that, press the Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog box on your laptop.
11. In the Run dialog box, type %appdata% and select OK.
12. Repeat steps 9 to 10 of this method.
13. Restart your device.
14. Open the in-built browser on your PC and visit the official Chrome site to download the browser.
15. Click on Download Chrome.
16. After that, run the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions.
Method 11: Use Another Browser
If all the methods mentioned above have failed to fix 431 request header fields too large, you can use another browser. You can use Microsoft Edge, Safari, Firefox, or any other web browser.
- How to Delete Paytm Account
- How Long Does It Take to Download and Install Windows 10?
- 25 Best Chrome Extensions Games
- 13 Ways to Fix Failed Download Error on Chrome
We hope this article was helpful and you were able to fix HTTP error 431 on Google Chrome. If you still have questions, please ask them in the comment section below. Also, let us know which method worked for you and what you want to learn next.